R.I.P The Bill 1983-2010

TF S4DK

THE Bill is being axed by ITV in the autumn after a 27 year run.

The channel decided to shelve the long-running cop drama after a revamp and new 9pm slot failed to attract viewers.

Actors and staff were told the news during filming on set in south London this morning.

Last year bosses opted to give the show, based in fictional station Sun Hill, a single slot at 9pm on Thursday instead of two episodes a week at 8pm.

But the changes didn't improve ratings, with recent audiences averaging at about 3.5million instead of the 7m it achieved back in 2002.

The broadcaster said The Bill was being dropped as part of a creative rethink and wasn't due to cost cuts.

ITV now plans to use the cash spent on the police series to produce shorter run dramas for the 9pm slot.

Projects in the works include a new medical series and a new series from Collision and Foyle's War writer Anthony Horowitz.

ITV boss Peter Fincham said: "The Bill has been a fixture on our screens for more than 25 years and has been the home of some of the UK's best serial drama storylines, and a great showcase for terrific scriptwriting and fine acting talent.

"But times change, and so do the tastes of our audience. Whilst The Bill will come to an end in 2010, we will continue to invest more in drama programming than any other commercial broadcaster in the UK and viewers can look forward to a wide range of high quality drama on ITV1."

It's now thought that the show, made by production company TalkbackThames, could spark interest from rival broadcasters.

The show currently employs 19 main cast members, including Simon Rouse (DI Jack Meadows), Alex Walkinshaw (Inspector Dale 'Smithy' Smith) and DS Stevie Moss (Lucy Speed).

It has featured many soap stars and featured appearances from numerous celebs including Keira Knightley, Russell Brand, Emma Bunton and Sean Bean.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/2908626/The-Bill-axed-after-27-years.html#ixzz0jIFQZv2s

Guest Medic

'We need to find out everything about him, where he goes, where he sleeps, where he buys his jerk chicken' :lol:

Use to watch it every week without fail years back.

i tried to watch one of the "revamped" new episodes, was appalling tbh

Basically.

Just like all "constant" soaps that were dope in the 80s/90s, they are now sh*t and can't compete with The Wire / The Shield / NCIS

Will the UK EVER produce a show like one of those or does the British public lack the imagination to ever become engaged in such a show made on British shores?

I know its not a problem with the writers because many of the top US dramas are written by British writers. Could you imagine LOST (I know not police-related)being made by a UK team? sh*t would end up like f*ck*ng PRIMEVAL or something.

Basically.

Just like all "constant" soaps that were dope in the 80s/90s, they are now sh*t and can't compete with The Wire / The Shield / NCIS

Will the UK EVER produce a show like one of those or does the British public lack the imagination to ever become engaged in such a show made on British shores?

I know its not a problem with the writers because many of the top US dramas are written by British writers. Could you imagine LOST (I know not police-related)being made by a UK team? sh*t would end up like f*ck*ng PRIMEVAL or something.

Look at the UKs top version of a drama

DR WHO

say no more.

Guest Intervention

Dont watch these washed shows.

90% of things on tv should just be replaced with football.

And perhaps a channel for the women, with Masterchef or Delia on all day or something.

Basically.

Look at the UKs top version of a drama

DR WHO

say no more.

Does quite well in the US TBH

Rome is another show that done well in the US

Just cant compete with the US guys, I mean they had 24 we had Spooks.

Hustle is/was the best IMO the UK had, fresh, new different

Guest Intervention

Dr. Who is some kitch ting anyway

Rome was a brilliant show

Wasn't ever shown on here on terrestrial though was it?

Got both season dvds anyhow

@ No Sunshine

because....women would be bringing you food after watching the show...right?