Arsenal Summer Transfer Window

MrJibbles

Arsène Wenger has confirmed that Arsenal will sign a new player by the time the World Cup starts.With just two games to go in the Premier League season, transfer rumours are already filling the back pages. As you would expect the Frenchman refused to name any targets but he did reveal he would “certainly” bring in a new face before the tournament begins in South Africa on June 11.“We have a basic squad and I believe in the squad I have,” he said. “But if I can make an addition – two or three maximum – then we will do it.“I will try to do what I want to do as quickly as possible but I am not the only decider. It doesn’t only depend on me.“Ideally, you would want to do the job before the World Cup. It is difficult to give yourself the right timing.“Certainly, we will announce one player before the World Cup. After that we will see.”

Arsène Wenger has confirmed that Arsenal will sign a new player by the time the World Cup starts.With just two games to go in the Premier League season, transfer rumours are already filling the back pages. As you would expect the Frenchman refused to name any targets but he did reveal he would “certainly” bring in a new face before the tournament begins in South Africa on June 11.“We have a basic squad and I believe in the squad I have,” he said. “But if I can make an addition – two or three maximum – then we will do it.“I will try to do what I want to do as quickly as possible but I am not the only decider. It doesn’t only depend on me.“Ideally, you would want to do the job before the World Cup. It is difficult to give yourself the right timing.“Certainly, we will announce one player before the World Cup. After that we will see.”
He's talking about Chamakh. I don't even know why I'm getting my hopes up.

Arsenal's long-standing interest in the Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart will prompt a formal bid once the transfer window reopens this month, with Arsène Wenger having recognised the shortcomings of both Manuel Almunia and Lukasz Fabianski at the Emirates.City, who are resigned to being without their No1, Shay Given, for the start of next season as a result of a shoulder injury, are expected to resist any offer, leaving the 23-year-old to agitate for a move if the transfer is to become a reality. However, whether their pursuit is successful or not, Arsenal's interest does at least offer an insight into Wenger's intention to strengthen his side in the close season after enduring a fifth successive season without a trophy.Almunia's form has been patchy all season and, while the Spaniard is technically unavailable at present with a wrist injury, Arsenal have handed Fabianski an opportunity to prove his worth for the final few games of the season for the second year in a row. Yet the Pole has failed to convince; his reputation, already damaged by costly errors against Porto in the Champions League and Wigan last month, took a further pounding after Blackburn targeted him as a potential weak linkyesterday. The hosts duly prevailed with scrappy goals from David Dunn and Christopher Samba, with Fabianski claiming fouls.While Wenger refused to criticise Fabianski's performance at Ewood Park, preferring instead to point a finger at the performance of the referee, Martin Atkinson, for failing to offer the goalkeeper more protection, the errors underlined the need to reinforce for next season. The France goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, at Lyon, has attracted interest and the experienced Juventus No1, Gianluigi Buffon, 32, suggested today that he would be willing to move to the Premier League – "England could be the destination," he said should the Italian club be willing to release him – yet Hart appears to be Arsenal's priority.The England hopeful, voted into the Professional Footballers' Association's Premier League team of the year last week, has enjoyed an impressive campaign on loan at Birmingham City, keeping 12 clean sheets along the way, and is staking a late claim for selection to Fabio Capello's England squad as the third-choice goalkeeper for the World Cup finals.Should Given's dislocated shoulder leave him unavailable for up to five months, as feared, then Roberto Mancini is expected to offer the former Shrewsbury Town youngster a chance to impress in the first team next season and, potentially, prove his quality to retain his place ahead of the Republic of Ireland veteran.That could yet scupper any move to Arsenal, forcing Wenger to turn his attentions elsewhere. The Frenchman has already secured the Bordeaux forward Marouane Chamakh on a free transfer for next season, but could yet lose William Gallas, most likely to Paris Saint-Germain, under freedom of contract.The France defender, who has not played since suffering a recurrence of a calf injury in the first leg of the Champions League quarter-final against Barcelona in March, is confident he will be fit for the World Cup."I will be ready for France," he said. "Had it not been possible [to recover in time], I would have pulled out. Right now, I feel good and ready for France."http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/04/arsenal-manchestercity

GIANLUIGI BUFFON says he would relish a move to Arsenal if Juventus show him the door.The Italian, 32, remains the world's most expensive keeper after his £32.6million transfer from Parma nine years ago.He still has three years on his Juve contract.But the Turin giants have failed to qualify for next season's Champions League and Buffon admits he could be tempted by a switch to England.Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has been left fuming after blunders by keepers Manuel Almunia and Lukasz Fabianski.Buffon said: "If I had to leave, I think England would be my destination."My desire to leave Juve is equal to that of Juve's will to have me leave."We will see if we will decide for our paths to continue together."Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2958380/Gianluigi-Buffon-wants-move-to-Premier-League-with-Arsenal-hovering.html#ixzz0n371mxy5
NICE striker Loic Remy has issued a come-and-get-me plea to Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.The £11million rated hitman wants to quit French football in favour of a move to the Premier League and has set his sights on a switch to the Emirates Stadium.The 23-year-old has notched 13 goals in 30 league starts for the Ligue 1 outfit this season and is being tracked by a host of Europe's leading clubs.But Remy has made it clear a transfer to the Gunners is his preferred choice. He said: "Arsenal are the club I want to join."I won't deny they are my priority. Arsenal are a young, ambitious side and I love to watch them play."Remy has been likened to a young Thierry Henry and the forward claims he has already discussed moving to London with the former Arsenal hero.He added: "It is the ideal place for me. I spoke with Thierry about them and asked him lots of questions about life there."That is because I have been an Arsenal fan since I was little. I was not disappointed with what he told me."Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2959839/French-ace-Loic-Remy-wants-to-join-Arsenal.html#ixzz0n36tdYUb

Remy has been droppin these bars for tiiime still, dont think i want him in tbhOn the other Ligue1 side though french press has just published Sakho's indepth send for the teammates, as well as 'if he feels the side aint really ready to move forward now he needs to leave for CL' so its likely the paris fans might not appreciate it & if u know how things in PSG work, it might well lead to a departure.... i would

Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh has all but confirmed that he will be joining Arsenal in the summer.The 26-year-old Morocco international is out of contract at the end of the season and will reportedly move to the Emirates Stadium on a free transfer in June.Chamakh has been with Les Girondins since 2000 and his goals helped them to the Ligue 1 title last term as well as an excellent run in the UEFA Champions League this year.With Arsenal having problems up front this season following a serious injury to Dutch ace Robin van Persie, Wenger is thought to have moved to snap up the North African star.Chamakh says he decided to leave the French club earlier in the year and is relishing the prospect of Premier League football."I am delighted to join the English football atmosphere, it is something amazing," he told French newspaper L'Equipe."I love Arsenal's game. I know I will have to adapt but I know the short passing game with (Bordeaux midfielder) Yoann Gourcuff."In February, I made my decision. A departure clause (in a potential new Bordeaux contract) was not logical after refusing Arsenal last summer."Arsenal were not alone. There were Liverpool, Tottenham and crazy offers from Russia."But I was only focused on the Premier League."Chamakh has been with Les Girondins for 10 years and, while he is looking to the future, admits he will be leaving with a heavy heart."For my last matches with Bordeaux I can feel a lot of emotion," he added."But I am leaving for a new challenge. At Bordeaux I was the club's child. In London, I won't be a kid anymore."I have grown, I have things to prove and I am motivated to achieve it."

Arsène Wenger believes that if the Premier League's big spenders opt to look abroad for new players this summer, the English market may offer better value than usual.In previous transfer windows the manager has expressed his concern at the cost of buying English players and has looked towards foreign leagues for many of his purchases. However, speaking before the weekend, Wenger explained why he thinks there is a shift towards cheaper home-grown stars."It is changing a little because the market will be lower," he said. "It looks to me like the big teams with big financial potential like Man City, like Chelsea might go abroad. So if they move abroad the internal market will be a bit cheaper."Buying players these days is more of a gamble, according to Arsène Wenger.The Frenchman is expected to bring in new recruits this summer and has already revealed that he is hoping to announce at least one signing before the World Cup starts on June 11.Wenger has unearthed some real gems during his 13 years at the Arsenal helm, turning relative unknowns such as Patrick Vieira, Cesc Fabregas and Nicolas Anelka into world-class performers. But the manager admits that Arsenal's 'insider knowledge' is no longer such an advantage when it comes to finding and signing the stars of tomorrow."It is not any more as it was 15 or 20 years ago," said Wenger, speaking before the weekend."Everybody knows everybody now. It is more about shrewd buying now in taking a gamble than in discovering somebody."The acquisition of Thomas Vermaelen last summer proved that Wenger still has a nose for talent, but he admits that even the Belgian centre-back was a gamble."I had known Thomas because he played against us [for Ajax] and I had a picture in my head that was good. But it was still a gamble because I liked him when he played against us.

Arsène Wenger is on the market for a couple of experienced players during the close season.Ever since Arsenal's title chances fell away in mid-April, the main media attention has been on how the Frenchman would add to his team over the summer.Naturally, Wenger has kept his counsel. But, speaking before the weekend, he did suggest that he would target more seasoned stars."We have plenty of young players," said the 60-year-old. "If we bring some players in then they have to be experienced players.""I think we have been in the race this year with the team we had. We will be stronger next year just with the internal improvement and with the experience these players will have now. The additions will be minimal but if there are some they have to be really top class."http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-targets-experience-in-the-close-season

Sol Campbell is ready to ignore more lucrative offers from other Premier League clubs and sign a one-year contract at Arsenal, having convinced Arsène Wenger, the manager, that he merits a new deal at the club.Wenger has decided that he wants to keep the 35-year-old centre-half, after watching him produce a commanding performance at Tottenham Hotspur last month. Campbell has maintained his form in Arsenal's three subsequent games and he hopes to finish the season in fine personal style against Fulham on Sunday, before sitting down with the club to commit his future.Campbell had previously struggled for Arsenal, whom he rejoined on a short-term contract in January, having not played top-level football since last May. He had left Portsmouth for League Two Notts County over the summer, only to walk away after one appearance.But the game at Tottenham, one of his former clubs, for which he was fiercely motivated, marked the turning point and Wenger has resolved to reward him, mindful also that his experience and influence in the dressing-room are important.Wenger looks increasingly likely to lose one of his first-choice centre-halves, William Gallas, on a Bosman free transfer because the club cannot agree a new contract with him. Mikaël Silvestre, meanwhile, is expected to be released when his deal expires at the end of the season and to lose Campbell as well would gravely weaken his central defensive options.Gallas, who has missed the end of the season because of a calf injury, has held out for at least a two-year contract extension only for Wenger to offer him one year, with the performance-related option of a second. Gallas has grown increasingly disillusioned and he is likely to leave, with Paris St-Germain, Gallas's home-town club, favourites to sign him.http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/05/sol-campbell-arsenal-new-contract

Juventus are hoping to strike a player swap deal with Arsenal, with Gianluigi Buffon moving to The Emirates in exchange for one of the Gunners top stars, according to reports in Italy this morning.Italian daily Tuttosport reports that Juve would be keen to sign either Cesc Fabregas, Robin van Persie or Bacary Sagna in exchange for Buffon.Arsenal are looking for a new goalkeeper and Buffon has already said he would like to move to the Premier League if he is to leave the Italian club.Gunners boss Wenger would not let Fabregas or Van Persie leave but is thought to be willing to discuss letting full back Bacary Sagna leave the club, if he can sign a replacement.

Arsene Wenger finally looks set to give in to calls to spend big in the transfer market this summer, with the latest news reports linking him to Dinamo Kiev's £10million-rated centre-back Pape Malickou Diakhate. The 25-year-old, who is currently on loan at St Etienne, has been watched by Wenger since he left AS Nancy in 2007.The Senegalese vice-captain will not go to the World Cup as his nation failed to qualify from the African section, but the French manager has made no secret of his desire to sign players before this summer's big tournament kicks off.Several clubs have also been linked with Diakhate - including Premier League rivals Chelsea as well as Bayern Munich and Juventus - although the Emirates Stadium is thought to be the imposing defender's first-choice destination.The signing of highly-rated striker Marouane Chamakh from Bordeaux is a done deal, with the 26-year-old having revealed a free transfer agreement is in place ahead of his move being confirmed this month.But Wenger is on the look-out to strenghten in several other areas when the transfer window re-opens - particularly at centre-back where the futures of veterans Sol Campbell, William Gallas, and Mikael Silvestre are uncertain.

If we let Sagna go who will play RB? Eboue? and Eastmond as back up? Surely we're gonna need someone solid and I doubt Juve will let Buffon go in a straight swap deal/I just realised Hamit Altintop of Bayern Munich is out of contract in the summer too, he would be a good signing still. Can play DM & RB

• User unpinned this topic