Anton Ferdinand look-a-like cleared of Murder

Guest Intervention

Guest Intervention

Family of man cleared of killing burglar want law chief to admit he was wrong to prosecute

mirror-image-5-326054529.jpg

Lawyers yesterday called on Britain's top prosecutor to admit a man dramatically cleared of stabbing a burglar to death should never have been charged.

Omari Roberts was due to go on trial for the murder of 17-year-old thug Tyler Juett who he found ransacking his mother's house with an accomplice aged 14.

But the case against him was suddenly dropped after prosecutors deemed the younger burglar - with an Asbo and a string of convictions - was an unreliable witness because he changed his story to police.

Defence counsel Jerome Lynch said Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer should now come clean and admit there was never enough evidence to bring 23-year-old trainee builder Omari to trial.

He added: "We were told it was the DPP's decision to charge Omari but it has been said in court today that was not the case. That is a tragedy in itself.

"The DPP ought to be the one making decisions in these types of cases. He has abdicated responsibility."

Omari's lawyer Jonathan Eppley said after the hearing: "He was put in a position in which he was fighting for his life.

"He had no option but to defend himself, everything happened in a split second."

Advertisement - article continues below »

Omari found Juett and his accomplice raiding his mum's house when he returned home one lunchtime in March 2009. He grabbed a knife and in a struggle the younger burglar was stabbed in the knee.

Juett, who was upstairs, rushed down and confronted Omari. The teenager was knifed in the shoulder. A major artery was cut and he bled to death. The 14-year-old told police he was chased away after being stabbed.

Prosecutors said that would have meant Omari had time to call the police before returning to the home in Nottingham. But the thug later admitted he had not been chased. It is claimed he also confessed to a social worker he was armed with a knife, despite telling detectives he wasn't.

Mr Lynch added: "To rely on that person as a witness was erroneous and doomed to fail. He is a dangerous individual who has lied from start to finish."

Omari was charged with murder seven months after the stabbing. He was remanded in custody but later bailed.

After the case at Nottingham crown court, he said: "The last year has been a nightmare." His mum Jacqueline McKenzie-Johnson, 47, called for a change in the law that states homeowners can use "reasonable force" against intruders.

Council manager Jacqueline added: "I believe when you are faced with an intruder in your own home, the expectation that you behave reasonably doesn't seem to fit."

The CPS said: "After receiving new information it was decided there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. This information was not available when the original decision to prosecute was made."

--------

Rightfulyl so imo

Guy came back home, saw two theifs robbing the gaff, and knifed em both

I remember this case from last year..

this is the kid who died

Tyler_JuettRPA_450x300.jpg

man dat nigga deserves life taking some kids life for burglary on his yard is jus 2 natty , he shoulda rugby tackled and tied the yutes up not kill one

Oh shut up, what do you know. From time you break into someone's house unannounced, whatever happens from then is your own fault.

Init!

Family of man cleared of killing burglar want law chief to admit he was wrong to prosecute

dis some stupidness right here.

as much as i support the killing of an intruder, how can You expect to do it and not be prosecuted and prove Your innocence?

Guest Intervention

Not even

a year of mans life cuz some other brehs decided to break into his yard

the guy who he stabbed that survived should be made to pay him comp

i'm glad he got away with this. we have precedent law, which means my lawyer can refer to this case, and say it changed the law, should i b involved in a similar incident.

• Upvote 1