Not knowing what you want to do in life...

Steven

forget what you want to do. the question should be what CAN you do?

then obviously go with whatever makes the most money.

^ whatever you do don't do this

better to think what interests you most and ask your self if you have the stamina and mentality to committ to making it no matter how long it takes

i reccomend everyone reads think and grow rich. apply the thoery to whatever is tangible that you desire tbh

whats the point doing something that interests you that you cant do? your interests may not be realistic to your skills. it makes sense to utilise your best skills.

sure you might get a bit sick of doing something you can do that you dont like, but suck it up and fight it out. if thats whats gonna earn you the most then just make the sacrifice.

obviously it depends on what you want out of life tho. if you wanna make some money and get somewhere far then my mentality works. if you just care about doing what makes you happy and not about making a good living then go after things you would enjoy. (unless what you enjoy doing makes a lot of money, then its win win but lifes doesnt usually work that way for most).

I was in this boat last year, just not sure what I actually want to do, happy to just pick up money in a job I don't enjoy doing and have been doing for nearly 6 years. Then I met my currant girlfriend during October and since we had a talk on our future careers and goals, hearing what she wants to achieve and just giving me the extra push I really needed to hear I've been on the up. It took ME to go and see a careers advisor, that was my choice. It also helped me a lot having someone listen to you who doesn't know, wasn't going to judge me but point me in the right areas.

Ever since then I have gone back and took up a 'Learn Direct' Literacy course, it's just to boost my skills and help my improve my CV, after this one is done I will go back and do numeracy. Then hopefully I will hear back from Birkbeck university on how successful I have been with applying for a 'BA Hons' in Media/Film or BA Hons in Japanese in Media/Film. Now I feel I know what I want to do and I'm determined to go and do it.

Depends what motivates you.

Some people can work a job that they dont enjoy / is very stressful - coz it pays well. Others are happy enjoying a job which gives them enough money to get by. I'd say some balance ideally.

How to find out? Thats the hard part.

Ive not been sure of my direction but Ive realised I need to learn more. Done a computing degree, but Im now seeing thats just the beginning. Studying part time (CCNA) which Im actually enjoying, plan to continue learning more.

Guest M12 Part 2

All this "do what you love and the money will follow "talk is wash for wastemen

Certain things simply arent going to make you money, regardless of how good you are at them.

The best advice i think is look at what you enjoy/dont mind doing. Then look at the kinda salary you wanna earn in the future. If the job matches you're salary expectations and ticks a few boxes for things you like then start working towards it.

Also look at avenues for entrepreneurial things you can do off your own back to make money and dont listen to other people who discourage you and tell you you're mad. Most people are average and will live an average life. If you wanna live an average life with them then listen to their advice. If not do your own research and have confidence in you own ability and you will go far.

End of the day you arent gonna get anywhere being lazy. Work isnt finished when you sign outta the office if you really wana make big money

forget what you want to do. the question should be what CAN you do?

then obviously go with whatever makes the most money.

^ whatever you do don't do this

better to think what interests you most and ask your self if you have the stamina and mentality to committ to making it no matter how long it takes

i reccomend everyone reads think and grow rich. apply the thoery to whatever is tangible that you desire tbh

whats the point doing something that interests you that you cant do? your interests may not be realistic to your skills. it makes sense to utilise your best skills.

sure you might get a bit sick of doing something you can do that you dont like, but suck it up and fight it out. if thats whats gonna earn you the most then just make the sacrifice.

obviously it depends on what you want out of life tho. if you wanna make some money and get somewhere far then my mentality works. if you just care about doing what makes you happy and not about making a good living then go after things you would enjoy. (unless what you enjoy doing makes a lot of money, then its win win but lifes doesnt usually work that way for most).

yeah do something you can do that you enjoy. alot of ppl are all rounders is what i should have said so they might not have 1 standout skill that they feel defines them

i dont see how you can be good at something you hate tbh.

best advice is to do something if your unsure its not about waiting about better to jump into something you think you might be good at/enjoy then wait around sitting on your arse hoping a dream career knocks at your door

I don't want to sound like a d*ckhead but it's always felt like opportunities fall into my lap without me having to grind hard or anything.

I've been going with what I like and I want to do and so far it's going alright, I'm the type of guy to go with the flow rather than set out 5 year goals and sh*t.

Prolly should be f*ck it.

i'm going with the do what you love crew

coz at the 'end of the day' no amount of money can compensate you for something you will never get back, time.

realest sh*t i ever wrote.

but I get where Spiderman is coming from. Theres nothing I enjoy more than messing about on FL Studio but I know im never gonna get anywhere with it.

i dont see how you can be good at something you hate tbh.

trust me its possible.

im sure we have heard a lot of people say that they "hate their job". althought some people do up and leave if they really hate it, a lot of people know their best bet is to stick with it even if they do hate it (depending on how strong that hate is) simply because their good at what they do.

off the top my head im thinking people who are solicitors and accountants. they probably hate work but they may be good at their profession.

some professions have a side to them in which you can actually enjoy yourselves (maybe those that are more with creativity and arts) but a lot of professions dont have such great room for enjoyment and are more so tasks to get through. it really depends on what your talking about really and how you view work. if you view it as something that you should be taking an active part in and shaping it around your prefrences to make it best for you, then ye you would naturally lean towards stuff that interests you and things which you enjoy out of your own choice. but if you view it as a passive activity where you just get on with a task, be done with it and get paid like a form of legal hustle (if you will) then you will do whatever you can excel at and have good prospects in.

skeptical about all this this do what enjoy advice

sounds great but we live in the real world e.g. is being a dancer going to put food on ur table and provide for ur family

i suspect many of u are saying do what u can tolerate..

obviously you have to realistic about it

im not saying drop everything and run off with the circus

i'm going with the do what you love crew

coz at the 'end of the day' no amount of money can compensate you for something you will never get back, time.

realest sh*t i ever wrote?

thats a true statement. you would definately be making a major sacrifice...

but at the end of the day it just comes down to how bad do you really want to make p? how valuable is your time/life? how much are you willing to sacrifice? its all down to the individual and how he or she values aspects of life against each other.

the saying "time is money" comes to mind.