45 gigapixel photo of dubai

Guest TimeBomb

Guest El Padrino

what kind of camera takes such a pic? or is it multiple pics stiched together or something??

impressive though

Its a stitch of 4,250 individual shots taken with a Canon 7D and the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L zoom at 400mm.

This was only ever intended to be a technical test - I'm making no claims with regards photographic quality or artistic merit!

It was more about exploring the limits of both the hardware and software that is available out there.

(If you want to see other photographs I've taken of Dubai, that depending on your view may or may not have slightly more artistic qualities, please do check out my pages on Smugmug at http://gddxb.smugmug.com )

Air quality is not at its best at this time of year in Dubai (this was shot on the morning of 23rd April), and you have to work with what you're given.

4,250 individual shots taken with a Canon 7D and the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L zoom at 400mm. Total shooting time circa 3 hours 30 minutes, in 37C heat (that's the temperature in the shade - the camera and lens were almost too hot to touch at the end of this).

Gigapan EPIC Pro.

Autopano Giga software.

Gigapan uploader.

PC - i7-920, 12GB RAM, 2x 300GB Velociraptors (not RAID). On attempting to stitch this the first time, I was told I needed just over a terabyte of scratch space, so I had to go out and buy a 2TB disk and install that as well!

HUGE thanks to South Korean property developer Bando Construction and Engineering for making available the location to shoot this from - Ubora Towers in Business Bay, Dubai.

*edited the date taken field as it was showing the date the stitching was completed, and not the date the photos were taken.*

Date Taken: April 23, 2010

Date Added: May 2, 2010

Bookmarked: 11 times

Total Views: 265410 views

Snapshots: 61

Size: 44.88 gigapixels

Field of View: 220.0 degrees wide, 0.0 degrees high