Official Samba Boys Thread.

Hernandez Balcazar

Felipe Melo insists he has no need to apologise after he was sent off during Brazil's World Cup quarter-final exit against Holland.

The midfielder supplied a superb pass to create Brazil's opener in Port Elizabeth, but his unfortunate own goal allowed Holland to draw level in the second period.

And, moments after Wesley Sneijder headed the decisive second goal for the Oranje, Melowas shown a red card for stamping on Arjen Robben.

Brazil were unable to conjure up an equaliser with 10 men, but Melo is adamant that, while he will share the blame for the five-time champions' defeat, he is not solely responsible.

Most difficult moment

"There's no way I'm the villain of the 2010 World Cup," said Melo.

"It was a collective mistake. When I was sent off, it was already 2-1.

"I don't have to say sorry because we are a group. I bear my share of the blame as do the rest of the group."

The Juventus man added: "This is the most difficult moment of my life.

"We didn't win, it's my first loss with the Brazilian team and it's a tough one as we were leading and had chances to go two up.

"We really failed to deliver as we had our hearts set on being world champions."

However, the 27-year-old was not happy with his red card.

"It's different to be sent-off for punching or spitting at someone than for a normal challenge. The challenge that Pepe made on me was much worse. This depends on the interpretation of the referee and I think he was too harsh. It's tough now to call home and hear your son crying.

"Robben kept playing up. If I meant to hurt him, he would have left the pitch. I have enough strength to break his leg. Every time he was touched he would jump and roll over on the floor. I just wanted to get the ball and start our counter-attack."

• 3 weeks later...

Brazil offers Ramalho national coach job

(AP) – SAO PAULO — The Brazilian Football Federation says it has invited Fluminense coach Muricy Ramalho to lead the national team.

Federation president Ricardo Teixeira tells the O Globo TV network he invited Ramalho on Friday in Rio de Janeiro.

Teixeira says that before the appointment becomes official, Ramalho must first talk with his Rio club, with which he has a contract until the end of the year.

Ramalho will replace Dunga, who was fired just days after Brazil's disappointing loss to the Netherlands in the quarterfinals of World Cup in South Africa.

ESPN's website says that at the end of the meeting Ramalho told reporters: "Who wouldn't want to coach Brazilian national team?"

Mano Menezes is poised to take charge of the Brazilian national team after an approach by the country's football federation president Ricardo Teixeira.Corinthians boss Menezes has been invited to coach the five-time world champions after Muricy Ramalho earlier snubbed an approach by the CBF due to his commitments at Fluminense.

Menezes is due to give his response to the offer at a press conference in Sao Paulo on Saturday.

"What determined the choice was the understanding that immediate renovation is needed in the Brazilian national team," Teixeira said in a statement on federation website www.cbf.com.br.

If, as expected, Menezes accepts the CBF's approach, he will replace Dunga, whose contract was not renewed following Brazil's disappointing World Cup campaign.

Their hopes of a sixth triumph ended at the quarter-final stage in South Africa as they let slip a 1-0 lead to suffer a shock 2-1 loss to eventual runners-up Holland.

Teixeira admitted rebuilding for the next World Cup, in Brazil in 2014, would be the primary responsibility of the incoming coach.

"I talked with many people watched the debates in various sports programs and I also heard fans to come up with three names," he added.

"The most important thing in our selection was the common sense of the need of a philosophy of renovation.

"I have absolute confidence that this will be successfully done by 2014."

Menezes, 48, shot to prominence in 2005 by guiding Gremio into the Brazilian top flight before leading them to the final of the Copa Libertadores two years later.

He took charge at Corinthians in late 2007, taking the club to promotion from Campeonato Brasileiro Serie B before winning the Campeonato Paulista and Copa do Brasil last year.

Earlier, Fluminense boss Ramalho turned down the chance to replace Dunga with his club claiming his expected appointment was nothing but a "short horror film".

A CBF statement confirmed the decision later on Friday, saying: "The CBF invited Muricy Ramalho on Friday morning to be the coach of the Brazilian national team.

"By late afternoon, Muricy Ramalho replied saying he could not accept the invitation, because he has not been released from his Fluminense contract."

Ramalho's contract runs until the end of the season and was thought to include a clause which allows for his release in the case of him being offered the Brazil job.

However, Ramalho is now expected to pen a new deal with Fluminense until 2012.

Brazil call up Rafael and Lucas

Manchester United defender Rafael da Silva and Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva have been included in new Brazil coach Mano Menezes' first squad.

Rafael and Lucas were the only Premier League players named for the 10 August friendly against the United States.

Just four players in Menezes's squad - Dani Alves, Ramires, Thiago Silva and Robinho - played for Brazil at the World Cup in South Africa.

Rafael has yet to be capped by Brazil, though Lucas has played three times.

In all there are 11 debutants in Menezes's 24-man squad for the game in New Jersey - with five Santos players in the party, though Robinho ends his loan spell with the Brazilian club on 4 August before his return to Manchester City.

Either Hernanes of Sao Paulo or fellow midfielder Sandro of Internacional will drop out of the 24-man squad, depending on which team wins the Copa Libertadores semi-final between the two sides.

Menezes, who succeeds Dunga as coach, was appointed by the Brazilian Football Federation on Saturday after a spell in charge of Corinthians.

Brazil, who will host the 2014 World Cup, sacked Dunga after their quarter-final exit at the World Cup in South Africa earlier this month.

Goalkeeper: Jefferson (Botafogo), Renan (Avai), Victor (Gremio)

Defenders: Andre Santos (Fenerbahce), Dani Alves (Barcelona), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Rafael da Silva (Manchester United), David Luis (Benfica), Henrique (Racing Santander), Rever (Atletico Mineiro), Thiago Silva (AC Milan)

Midfielders: Carlos Eduardo (Hoffenheim), Ederson (Lyon), Paulo Henrique Ganso (Santos), Hernanes (Sao Paulo), Jucilei (Corinthians), Lucas Leiva (Liverpool), Ramires (Benfica), Sandro (Internacional)

Forwards: Alexandre Pato (AC Milan), Andre (Santos), Diego Tardelli (Atletico Mineiro), Neymar (Santos), Robinho (Santos, on loan from Manchester City)

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

New Coach same old story(dusty players filtered around the squad)

Nothing will ever change 

Brazil squad:

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Roma), Marcelo Grohe (Gremio), Weverton (Atletico Paranaense)

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Juventus), Fagner (Corinthians), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Filipe Luis (Atletico Madrid), Gil (Shandong Luneng), Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain), Miranda (Inter Milan), Rodrigo Caio (Sao Paulo).

Midfielders: Casemiro (Real Madrid), Giuliano (Zenit), Paulinho (Guangzhou Evergrande), Rafael Carioca (Atletico Mineiro), Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool), Lucas Lima (Santos), Renato Augusto (Beijing Guoan), Willian (Chelsea).

Forwards: Gabriel (Santos), Gabriel Jesus (Palmeiras), Neymar (Barcelona),Taison (Shakhtar Donetsk)

On 8/22/2016 at 6:32 PM, O Fenomeno said:

New Coach same old story(dusty players filtered around the squad)

Nothing will ever change 

Brazil squad:

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Roma), Marcelo Grohe (Gremio), Weverton (Atletico Paranaense)

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Juventus), Fagner (Corinthians), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Filipe Luis (Atletico Madrid), Gil (Shandong Luneng), Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain), Miranda (Inter Milan), Rodrigo Caio (Sao Paulo).

Midfielders: Casemiro (Real Madrid), Giuliano (Zenit), Paulinho (Guangzhou Evergrande), Rafael Carioca (Atletico Mineiro), Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool), Lucas Lima (Santos), Renato Augusto (Beijing Guoan), Willian (Chelsea).

Forwards: Gabriel (Santos), Gabriel Jesus (Palmeiras), Neymar (Barcelona),Taison (Shakhtar Donetsk)

bloody hell that squad

who would you man select?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...