Official FRANCE thread

Gunner

Patrick Vieira has hit out at national boss Raymond Domenech after he missed out on inclusion in France's World Cup squad.

The 33-year-old moved to Manchester City in January in an attempt to get the nod from Domenech, but found out on Tuesday that was not the case.

While the World Cup winner respects Domenech's right to have omitted him, he wishes the coach had informed him personally that he was not going to a fourth finals.

Vieira told Canal + Sport: "Participating in a fourth World Cup was a very beautiful challenge to me.

"As the national team coach had sporting criterions, I can accept the decision without any problems.

"However, I didn't receive any phone call with him for six months, even if I always had a good relationship with him, even when he was in trouble.

"Considering my number of caps (107 caps) and years in the French team, I would have liked more frankness, a phone call.

Turned page

"Now I have turned the French team's page. I would have preferred him to tell me, 'You don't have the right level anymore, there are young players better than you,.

"Mourinho did it at Inter, and I accepted it.

"Discovering it at the last moment, in front of the TV, that tactlessness, lack of class, which is what affected me the most.

"But that won't erase all the beautiful years I spent in blue. Will I finish my career? No. I am sure I won't stop my footballing career."

In a press conference announcing the squad, Domenech confirmed it had been a very difficult decision to leave out Vieira.

He said: "Patrick Vieira, it is the most delicate choice. We talked with Pat, we tried to plan for the World Cup.

"It has been a wrench. It is a real moment of emotion. It was difficult considering the whole season."

Gallas hope

Arsenal defender William Gallas has been included in the provisional squad, despite missing out on the end of the Gunners' season with a calf injury.

Although the latest medical examinations have been quite reassuring, Domenech wants the Arsenal defender to now prove his fitness - otherwise he will not make his final squad.

He added: "We have been following the situation with William for a while. He is part of the uncertainties that made us choose a bigger list of players. He is in a rehabilitation period, there is no guarantee (that he will be fit to play).

"He will resume a little earlier with our fitness coach. Either he will be available and he will participate in everything, or he is not available and he will go back home."

Blanc primed for France post

Girondins boss quits to succeed Domenech

Last updated: 16th May 2010 Subscribe to RSS Feed

Blanc primed for France post

Blanc: Expected to suceed Domenech

Bordeaux expect manager Laurent Blanc to replace Raymond Domenech following this summer's World Cup finals.

Domenech's contract with the French Football Federation (FFF) ends after the South Africa showpiece event.

The unpopular tactician, who only guided Les Bleus to the finals following Thierry Henry's controversial handball against Republic of Ireland, has been at the helm since 2004.

Compensation

Bordeaux state Blanc has now tendered his resignation with the Ligue 1 club so that he is in a position to succeed Domenech and they now await compensation for their manager.

"Girondins Bordeaux have been informed by Laurent Blanc that he wanted to answer favourably to the French federation (FFF)'s solicitation to become the France coach," confirmed Bordeaux.

"Girondins Bordeaux expect to hear from the FFF on the question of the compensation linked to the release of their coach."

Thank the LAWD!

Le President is will bring about change, hopefully

Midfielder Samir Nasri has admitted that he's shocked and disappointed with his omission from the French World Cup squad.

Four French players were chosen from Arsenal by national team manager Raymond Domenech, but Nasri was not one of them.

Defenders William Gallas, Bacary Sagna and Gaël Clichy together with midfielder Abou Diaby were chosen.

Nasri, 22, was expecting to be on the plane to South Africa after another impressive season for Arsenal, but the Frenchman is feeling a bit disappointed now and wondering if he has the talents to succeed at the top level.

There is even a possibility that Nasri was omitted by Domenech due to a problem with his attitude, but this is so far only a rumour.

He said: "It's difficult but these are the choices of the coach. I respect them, but I do not understand him.

"I also want to know why, because I hear reproach for my behaviour when I have not made any criticism.

"I respect the decision of the coach but I am disappointed.

"Arsène Wenger called me and told me that things will remain the same between us. He advised me to take a good holiday and not to doubt myself."

France cut six from squad

Just one more player to be cut by Domenech

By Ben Collins Last updated: 17th May 2010

Ben Arfa: World Cup heartache

France coach Raymond Domenech trimmed his provisional World Cup squad down to 24 on Monday.

A 30-man squad was named last week and Les Bleus' boss has now decided to cut another six players from his plans for this summer's finals in South Africa.

Marseille striker Hatem Ben Arfa was the most notable absentee, while goalkeeper Mickael Landreau and defender Adil Rami (both Lille) also missed out.

And there was bad news for Rennes as all three of their players named in the initial squad were sent home, namely defender Rod Fanni, midfielder Yann M'Vila and forward Jimmy Briand.

Training camp

The new 24-man group will take part in a three-day training camp next week at altitude in the French ski resort of Tignes.

Domenech is scheduled to announce his final 23-man squad on 27th May, with a defender or striker set to miss out, before Les Bleus head off for another training camp in Tunisia.

The 1998 winners and 2006 runners-up will face Mexico, South Africa and Uruguay in Group A.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Hugo Lloris (Lyon), Steve Mandanda (Marseille), Cedric Carrasso (Bordeaux);

Defenders: Eric Abidal (Barcelona), Gael Clichy, William Gallas, Bakary Sagna (all Arsenal), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Marc Planus (Bordeaux), Anthony Reveillere (Lyon), Sebastien Squillaci (Sevilla);

Midfielders: Abou Diaby (Arsenal), Lassana Diarra (Real Madrid), Alou Diarra, Yoann Gourcuff (both Bordeaux), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich), Jeremy Toulalan (Lyon);

Strikers: Nicolas Anelka (Chelsea), Thierry Henry (Barcelona), Andre-Pierre Gignac (Toulouse), Sidney Govou (Lyon), Djibril Cisse (Panathinaikos), Mathieu Valbuena (Marseille).

Laurent Blanc will become France coach after this summer's World Cup finals.

The 44-year-old, who lifted the trophy on home soil in 1998, will succeed Raymond Domenech after Bordeaux agreed to release him from his contract.

Blanc, who won 97 France caps, made 75 appearances in two seasons with United, winning the 2003 Premier League title.

But Bordeaux will now be chasing hefty compensation from the FFF.

President Jean-Louis Triaud blamed public courting of their man for their collapse in the second half of the season, which saw them lose their Ligue 1 crown.

He said: "I am convinced the federation were making plans before the end of the season.

"The media frenzy around Laurent Blanc is sure to have disturbed the squad."

Guest Lens

racism.

sarkozy couldnt have 4 arabs in the team if he wants to ban the burka.

Was saying this during Euro 2008, there's some conspiracy against Algerian players, it's f*cked.

in the france team?

no way?

TIGNES, France — France defender William Gallas appears to be unhurt after another injury scare, crashing during a buggy race that was part of a team-bonding exercise.

Gallas was racing against his France teammates at a car park in the French Alpine resort of Tignes late Sunday afternoon when his dune buggy rolled onto its left side and he stuck out an arm to break the impact.

The 32-year-old Arsenal defender was helped out of the vehicle but was able to walk freely and then waved to his teammates.

Gallas is recovering from a calf injury as he bids to make France coach Raymond Domenech's World Cup squad.

William-Gallas-is-tipped--006.jpg

The irony of Gallas falling out of a buggy is a lot.