Gang culture in virtual space?

ThirdOption

Easy people...

So I'm studying the culture of gangs in London, and trying to seperate it as best I can from British hip-hop/street culture - but then I'm seeing the 'Gang Member Banned From Ally Pally Park' thing and I've gotta say, I personally believe that it represents quite a big move by the police/justice system. I was wondering if the VIP2 crew would mind voicing their opinions on a couple of issues - focus group kinda thing.

Do you think we are witnessing a 21st century crackdown on a British version 'gangster rap'? A cultural warfare if you like? There's a generation of kids who are growing up with Youtube as if it was some standard thing. I'd be interested to know what VIP2 mandem think about the possible cultural impact it might have in years to come. Do you think that the videos can ever have real life ramifications? Do you think the police were right to clamp down on G-Money, and do you think there could be more ASBOs like this? I've got my opinions, but I do actually need yours!! Hope you lot don't mind me quoting a couple of the results for my diss, man's gotta hand in on Monday!

Easy people...

So I'm studying the culture of gangs in London, and trying to seperate it as best I can from British hip-hop/street culture - but then I'm seeing the 'Gang Member Banned From Ally Pally Park' thing and I've gotta say, I personally believe that it represents quite a big move by the police/justice system. I was wondering if the VIP2 crew would mind voicing their opinions on a couple of issues - focus group kinda thing.

Do you think we are witnessing a 21st century crackdown on a British version 'gangster rap'? A cultural warfare if you like? There's a generation of kids who are growing up with Youtube as if it was some standard thing. I'd be interested to know what VIP2 mandem think about the possible cultural impact it might have in years to come. Do you think that the videos can ever have real life ramifications? Do you think the police were right to clamp down on G-Money, and do you think there could be more ASBOs like this? I've got my opinions, but I do actually need yours!! Hope you lot don't mind me quoting a couple of the results for my diss, man's gotta hand in on Monday!

You can't seperate, they the same thing.

Should have made it clearer. Is there a space between music/culture and real life or do they overlap?

Seen a lot of the hypes on Youtube. When Totty linked at Carnival last year and I see couple familiar faces from 'road rap' type videos, was I supposed to be looking at a gang member or a rapper or a criminal? Are they all the same in the eyes of the authorities, do you think?

/topic?

:lol:

What are your views on sites like Spiff, Media Massacre etc? Do you think the responsibility lies with them, the camera man who recorded it, or the artist ultimately? Do you think areas outside of London are being influenced? Some internet guys are saying that we've now moved out of the 'Information Age' into the 'Attention Age'...can't remember who coined it, still, but it's interesting.

/topic?

:lol:

What are your views on sites like Spiff, Media Massacre etc? Do you think the responsibility lies with them, the camera man who recorded it, or the artist ultimately? Do you think areas outside of London are being influenced? Some internet guys are saying that we've now moved out of the 'Information Age' into the 'Attention Age'...can't remember who coined it, still, but it's interesting.

No and no. In most scenerios yes its totally the artist fault, however in some cases there are occassions when artists let their guard slip as they think the cameraman is there boy and would have sense to edit parts out but if the camera man aint your people and you still be talking reckless then thats on you. The only thing certain sites might be the blame for is wanting immediate response, sometimes man gotta be left to think about their actions rather than just back and forthing.

Sounds like you're actually producing quite an interesting dissertation.

i would say grime daily have a responsibility when they basically sh*t stir alot of these music beefs and up them on their site. spiff etc dont really record their own footage jus puts wots out there already. ultimately tho the artists are movin reckless off their own backs

out of londoners DEFINTELY gettin influenced.

agree with both PLUS the camermanis definitely responsible for anybody getting hurt through any of these youtube beefs. No camerman = no video

these grimedaily guys come across to me as very very neeky road rap stans who love to feel like they'ro somehow involved in a road life/with these artists so they're acting out their fantasies through making these videos. and they are definitely partly to blame if some 13 year old gets shot in the neck in the crossfire over a beef that escalated through their videos.

London is the centre of the UK. It does influence areas outside of London (Londoners know this from when they were outside the m25 in '06 yet were still seeing clima fits and jogging bottoms tucked into socks).

LOL!!!

I'm from Oxford, it's like 50 minutes from White City on the M40. We're not behind, we got New Eras same time as London man. My Croatian bredrin Ops used to go Oxford Street on the coach and literally watch what London guys were wearing. Manbags, messy laces, all that...Ops was clocking you man!

Nah but on a real, thanks the internet man had the HLC vs PAUG clash when it was up the day after it kicked off at Destiny's back in 2001. Feel like such an old man saying that now, but man had it deh pon di Nokia 5510 in Year 10 times! Everyone was going mad about the 'crew' ting back then, first sign of any kind of hype...and then BAM, Wiley starts on his warpath and everyone was listening to grime.

Now YOUNGERS are shanking olders in Oxford like it's nothing. My bredrin Blayne Ridgeway just got murdered in Oxford outside a funky rave by a 16 year old last weekend. Blayne is the same age as my bro, 22. The bredda who did it, no names, had his Facebook up for about 2 days after it happened before his fam locked it off, but the bredda was clearly gassed off these road videos. Bare Youtube links. Thing is, the estate where the kid is from, Blackbird Leys is a known area in Oxford. Ask any of your guys who 'go OT' about BBL mandem. No joke, 12,000 people and nuff youngers, watching man my generation (crack era), who grew up watching the olders chuck Yardies off towerblocks and all sorts. I'm talking back before Jungle days.

When I heard tunes like Original Nuttah, I heard myself as 'the rudeboy inna England', get me? Always knew there were badboys in London, but it seems you man are only just clocking on to the rest of us!

Grime was a whole next hype for towns like Oxford. It did ACTUALLY soundtrack some of these guy's lives. Same with a lot of areas around the M25 Orbital, like High Wycombe, Luton...even Reading is quite bad in parts (Remember the HLC rave at Matrix that got shot up back in the day?) Bristol's been gully from time back when my dad was there in the 70s - who knows about man like Ajax from Bristol? Aggi Crew? Black and White cafe and all that? St. Pauls in Bristol come just like Ladbroke Grove, Brixton, Harlesden...Chapeltown in Leeds, Moss Side in Manny..Handworth, Aston in Brum....and every generation had a soundtrack, IMO. Not saying I'm some supreme badboy, but London culture has influenced every one I know - and some of the people I know are different level. All my opinion, beg no-one quote it as I might need to edit.

@ GG - Nah family, not if you don't think he'd want it out there. Understand that his name is out there already though, G - but my uni deal with ethics and anonymity...it's straight up. No snitching here.

But the way the culture proliferates through the country (and the world) has changed massively. Agree with you lot about responsibility being with the artist 100%. I hollered at Posty, waiting for a call from him as I want to ask him a couple questions. Can't fault them man, they've helped so many people IMO.

@ Supermalt - You're overthinking me, brudda. I'm just telling you how it is, because you do not know - get me? I'm asking people to tell me their points of view, and I offered mine. Don't watch my movements, star.

If you London man want to come to Oxford (I know of guys from Gipset, North Star...no names, but I see you man in videos) then you need to understand how Oxford runs. It's not like your areas, the deprived parts are all at the edges of the city outside the ring-road. There's Pakistani and Indians, Croatians, Albanians, Kosovans, Jamaicans, Kurds, Turks, Moroccans, second/third/fourth generation Windrush Black/mixed, Nigerians, Ghanaians. That means that if any of your good bredrins fall into that category, then their hand-me downs were being given to their little cousins in my town.

duppy.jpg

Come outta my thread, it was good vibes until you bring your duppy badmind business. Go jump in a magic bath with Spray.

:ghost:

OH 'ERE WE GO.....ANOTHER ONE "INTERTESTED IN WRITING ABOUT THE CULTURE OF GANGS" REH f*ck*ng REH

IS THIS THE EASIEST , LAMEST WAY PEOPLE ARE GETTING A GRADE AT COLLEGE OR UNI NOW?

PERHAPS THERE SHOULD BE A DEGREE IN GANG CULTURE????

IF YOU WANT TO "STUDY THE PSYCHE" OF GANGS AND THE CULTURE GET OFF YOUR f*ck*ng ARSE ON THE INTERNET AND GO AND DO COMMUNITY WORK AS A YOUTH WORKER

HELPING OUT AT CHARITIES THAT DIRECTLY WORK WITH EX SO CALLED GANG MEMBERS

BECOME AN INDEPENDENT VISITOR AT A CHARITY

THERES LOADS OF THINGS YOU CAN DO TO MEET PEOPLE RATHER THAN JUST SIT ON YOUR ARSE AND HEAR STORIES FROM FRIENDS OF FRIENDS OF FRIENDS WHO ARE OBVIOUSLY GASSING.

EVERY WEEK ONE OF U WANTS TO BE 'WRITING ABOUT GANGS'/.////

ABOUT I WANNA WRITE A THESIS ABOUT GANGS.. KMT

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

None of the stuff about Oxford is going in, I'm just letting you lot know where I'm coming from. No being a stupid f*ck*ng prick.

I want to work in social/youth work where I'm from, and I will be doing voluntary stuff once I graduate. Like the work that organizations like Brathay do, but at the end of the day people have to be taught about it - and I studied cultural geography at uni. I did a variety of modules, and understand migration, economics etc, all matter too.

Luckily, I relate to a lot of the same cultural elements of a lot of the kids who are dying! My dissertation is a look at that, but it's only an undergraduate degree. Anyone who knows about my university knows that it is a pretty forward thinking place, I'm not chatting any sh*t.

If this is where the discussion ends, cool. Thanks for participating. This stuff may amount to perhaps 2000 words of a 10000 piece in total, I just needed some opinions. I know where my discussion is heading, but I can't test my theories by asking lecturers, I have to ask people. You lot are basically the subjects, big ups to everyone who posted!

• Downvote 1

To be honest I find gangs outside of London are less music related. That maybe is because the chances of gettting anywhere in music outside of London is less tho.

However barring certain ends, the gangs are less on firearms or making crazy p.

But then again you get certain Birmingham man that laugh at London rappers for some of the excitement they show in their bars about things they find not exciting.

LOOOL AT BUGSY MALONE.

SOCIAL START WRITING ARTICLES OR A BLOG OR SOMETHING PLS.

been thinking of doing a casual sports/betting blog so i can properly justify selections to myself in writing ,just waiting for a pertinent gap in the sporting calender to organize this,maybe after/b4 the world cup,as i can imagine starting a blog involves a lot of meeting with bank managers and lawyers etc a lot of admin,but rly i cant see much point in doing a diary/rant style blog no diss to those that do but cant see how this would benefit myself tbh

however if any1 wants to commission me to write an article then go ahead.im looking at you murdoch,we are currently enemies cos im not on the payroll,but i beleive it is better to be friends..