Help! Computer/Networking Problem!

Sub_Zero

I've moved house, I used to get sick speeds and now there sh*t. I'm trying to stream backdoor couch seduction episodes which used to take 2 seconds to fully stream and now it takes me 10 minutes to get 20 seconds of footage and it's all the boring talking sh*t I care nothing about.

I have a wireless router which I set up last time in my old house. My router is downstairs attached directly to our main BT phone line with our BT phone. My computer is up stairs with no way for the big yellow ethernet cable to be connected to it. My dad seems to think that the only way we can connect to the wireless router downstairs is through a dongle. Is this why my connection is so slow?

I'm getting this 814787500.png

Any help will be appreaciated! Do you think I can connect directly to my wireless router without a dongle?

Guest El Padrino

I get a faster connection via my PHONE than that.

3.5Mb/s to 7.2Mb/s depending on where I am.

So start with calling your ISP as that connection is worser than 512 Kb/s

Guest El Padrino

I'm going mad trying to sort this out. I've spoken to 4 different people from India through AOL and they just keep running me through a checklist.

Can I connect directly from my wireless router to my decktop upstairs or do I need this dongle?

They're parring your life with that kind of connection. Wouldn't even be paying for that sh*t.

As for the connection to PC if it's upstairs then you have two options.

1. Run a cable from router all the way upstrairs. (Will benefit with local network speed not necessarily the broadband as that's sh*t at the mo)
  2. Get a wireless dongle such as the USB one you're talking about and go to business via wireless means.

You talking about the mobile dongles or a wi fi dongle?

a mobile dongle will be useless as there slow in general and not suitable for streaming

you wont need a wi fi dongle as a laptops internal one tend to be stronger than aftermarket products

Your speed will be determined by the quality of your phone line aswell as any obstacles from the router to your laptop, try and position the laptop closer to the router or attach it via ethernet to eliminate the culprit otherwise you'll need wi fi signal boosters/amplifiers

I'm on a wireless connection upstairs while the router is downstairs and my speed is what is should be