Departures - Summer 2010

TF S4DK

Eduardo joins Shakhtar Donetskgun__1258558379_eduardo_contract.jpg

Arsenal can confirm that Eduardo has joined Ukrainian champions Shakhtar Donetsk for an undisclosed fee.Eduardo (27), who signed for Arsenal from Croatian side Dinamo Zagreb in July 2007, made a total of 67 appearances, scoring 20 times in all competitions for the Gunners. The Croatian international scored 12 goals from 22 starts in his first season with Arsenal, having previously made his name in Croatia with Dinamo Zagreb, netting 73 times in 111 appearances, and was the first ever player to score a hat-trick in the Dinamo v Hadjuk Split derby match. Among Eduardo's 20 goals for Arsenal, was the superb heeled volley he scored in an FA Cup tie against Burnley at Emirates Stadium, which signalled his return from a lengthy injury lay-off. Eduardo's recovery from his injury sustained at Birmingham City in February 2008 is a testament to his strength as a human being, and this character and determination will be missed by everyone associated at Arsenal. Everyone at Arsenal would like to thank Eduardo for his contribution towards the Club and wishes him the best of luck for the future.
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/eduardo-joins-shakhtar-donetsk

Martin Keown has given his insight into the decline of Philippe Senderos' Arsenal career.The Swiss centre-back first broke into the Arsenal team as a youngster, and initially impressed Arsène Wenger with a string of solid performances in the 04/05 season.The defender, who departed the Emirates for Fulham this summer, was also ever-present in Arsenal's 2006 run to the Champions League final, but despite a strong start to his career, found himself way down the pecking order by last season.Keown was rumoured to have had a training ground bust-up with the Swiss, but the Arsenal legend has since denied any personal problems with Senderos.He has, however, revealed how the defender went surprisingly quickly from over-confident to having no confidence at all.He explained: "To be honest, I don't really remember a problem with Philippe. I think that, at the start, he was a young man who gave the impression that he knew everything: he's super intelligent and can speak six languages. But football intelligence is something different and I think he'd gone the other way by the end and he wasn't confident enough."There were times when he was playing very well but was critical of his own performance when he didn't need to be. So he got a bit too finicky and went from one extreme to the other: he felt he could do nothing wrong at the beginning but, at the end, he thought he was making mistakes when he really wasn't."He did have problems in his game and it didn't come off for him at Arsenal but I certainly never experienced a problem with him. I would have dealt with it had I seen that."
Philippe Senderos has been stunned by Roy Hodgson's decision to quit Fulham for Liverpool.Former Arsenal defender Senderos arrived on a free transfer and has been looking forward to proving he is still worthy of the Premier League. But Hodgson's move to Liverpool came as a huge blow to the Swiss international as he bids to resurrect his career.Senderos said: "Hodgson was decisive in my move. It was a clear decision in the end because he convinced me to come to Fulham."I have spoken to him and he is obviously now with Liverpool. I did not know that was going to happen. I was concentrating with Switzerland preparing for the World Cup and I saw in newspapers that people were talking about him leaving, but it was still a surprise."Of course, it is difficult to reject the call of Liverpool and that is why Roy has accepted the challenge."Now I have to focus on my challenge with Fulham. I am returning to London and aim to do big things."
Swear I read that Senderos was informed prior to signing that Hodgson was likely to leave.
Drogba killed his career TBH

Wenger - My double sadness at Eduardo movegun__1258558379_eduardo_contract.jpgArsène Wenger admits he harbours a double sadness over the departure of Eduardo.The Arsenal manager sold the Croatian striker to Shakhtar Donetsk on Wednesday to end a three-year spell at Emirates Stadium. Unfortunately, despite a promising start, Eduardo's time in North London will be forever remembered for the broken leg he suffered at Birmingham in February 2008.It took him a year to recover but, after that, first-team opportunities were scarce. It was that which prompted Wenger to let him go."I believe he is at the stage where he has to play and we could not guarantee him that time," said the manager after the 3-0 win at Sturm Graz, "That is why ."I believe he has another opportunity now."But it makes me sad twice - because it reminds me how he got injured and because he is an outstanding guy. We wish him well but he is 27 years of age now and he needs to play."

article-0-0A8CC4FB000005DC-96_468x331.jpgEduardo da Silva has been told he must learn Russian within four months following his £6million move from Arsenal to Shakhtar Donetsk.The Ukrainian champions have made the demand as part of Eduardo's new £50,000 a week contract.Eduardo said: 'I'll spare no effort to learn the language, especially since a lot of the words in Russian are similar to Croatian. I'm ready to talk to anyone, but, honestly, I don't really like talking to journalists!'There is a chance that Eduardo could line up for his new club against the Gunners in the Champions League.And the Croatia international said: 'Shakhtar are now a highly respected team in Europe. They may meet any team, including Arsenal. I'll play against them like I would any other.'article-0-0A8C9739000005DC-813_233x323.jpgHe had to pass two medicals before sealing the move, with particular attention paid to the ankle that was infamously shattered at Birmingham in 2008.Eduardo, who is not expected to play for a fortnight, insisted he had long since put that incident behind him as he prepares for a new career.'It's all behind me,' he said. 'I'm ready psychologically and physcially. I've played in the English championship, so there are no problems (with the ankle).'The only problem now is to prepare for the Ukrainian championship.'

0,,10278~8928180,00.jpgCampbell Completes Transfer to NewcastleNewcastle United are delighted to confirm the signing, on a one-year contract, of Sol Campbell.Sol, who will wear the number 5 shirt at St. James' Park, said:"At this stage of my career I couldn't have wished for a better move. To join a club such as Newcastle United, with its proud tradition, heritage and magnificent support, is absolutely tremendous for me."I'd like to thank Chris Hughton for putting his faith in me and aim to repay him and the supporters by giving everything I possibly can to help re-establish this great club in the top-tier of English football.He added: "I just want to play and can't wait to get started. There's a real buzz about the place and that's great. I've played at St. James' Park numerous times and always found it a fantastic place to play, there's always a tremendous atmosphere

gun__1271414155_campbell15042010.jpgSol Campbell joins Newcastle UnitedThe centre back, whose contract with Arsenal ran out at the end of June, moved to St James' Park today on a one-year contract.It brings to a close Campbell's second spell under Arsène Wenger. His first tenure began in 2001 when he made the short journey across North London from Tottenham. He went on to be the defensive rock in the 2002 Double side and the Invincibles team that won the title without losing a game two years later.He left in 2006 but returned in January this year, playing 14 games in the latter half of the campaign.In total, Campbell made 211 appearances for the Club, scoring a dozen goals. His most famous strike came in the 2006 Champions League Final when he headed home Thierry Henry's free-kick for 10-man Arsenal to take the lead.Everyone at Arsenal Football Club would like to wish Sol the best of luck with Newcastle United.

0,,10273~8944345,00.jpg
Arsenal youngster Sanchez Watt has become Leeds United's eighth new arrival of the summer.The 19-year-old made six appearances for United while on loan with the club at the end of last season - and he is now set to return for a full campaign.The England under-19 international has joined on a season-long loan from the Gunners and manager Simon Grayson is delighted.He said: "We're delighted we've managed to bring Sanchez back."He did well last year and he's another good addition to our squad."He's a young and up and coming player who has plenty to offer and his arrival will only increase competition for places."
gun__1280842409_watt_sanchez.jpg
Young forward Sanchez Watt has today joined newly-promoted Leeds United on loan for the entire 2010/2011 season.Nineteen year-old Sanchez will be familiar with his surroundings for next season, as he spent the last two months of the 2009/2010 on loan at Elland Road, helping the Yorkshire club to promotion to the Championship. Sanchez made a memorable first-team debut last season. Being named in the starting line-up for the Carling Cup Third Round match against West Bromwich Albion in September 2009, the London-born striker impressed throughout the match and rounded off a fine performance by scoring Arsenal's first goal in the 2-0 home victory. Sanchez, full name Herschel Sanchez Watt, featured in all three Carling Cup matches last season. In addition to his scoring debut against West Brom, Sanchez came on as a substitute in the home victory over Liverpool and the away defeat to Manchester City. The young striker was also in the first-team squad, as an unused substitute, in the away UEFA Champions League victory over Standard Liege last September. Sanchez, who was prolific for the Reserves last season, scoring five goals from just 10 appearances, was also a key member of Arsenal's Under-18 double-winning side in the 2008/09 season. Equally comfortable on the wing or up front, he appeared in all eight of the FA Youth Cup fixtures, netting a brace in the Semi-Final before striking in both legs of the victory over Liverpool in The FA Youth Cup Final. Sanchez joined Arsenal as a scholar in summer 2007, signing professional terms with Arsenal a year later in summer 2008. His fine performances were rewarded last November, when he signed a new long-term contract with the Club. Sanchez, who spent February of last season on loan at Southend United, will immediately join up with Simon Grayson's squad ahead of the new season. Everyone at Arsenal Football Club wishes Sanchez the best of luck during his time with Leeds United.

Keep him another year at least.Wenger might feel he needs to move him to enable Wilshere and Vela more opportunities, but them two should earn that right and Rosicky shold be made to fight them off.TBH Rosicky doesnt sound like a player prepared or expecting to move, but he is or was at lease being eased out earlier in the window.

• 9 months later...
0,,10273~8944345,00.jpg
Arsenal youngster Sanchez Watt has become Leeds United's eighth new arrival of the summer.The 19-year-old made six appearances for United while on loan with the club at the end of last season - and he is now set to return for a full campaign.The England under-19 international has joined on a season-long loan from the Gunners and manager Simon Grayson is delighted.He said: "We're delighted we've managed to bring Sanchez back."He did well last year and he's another good addition to our squad."He's a young and up and coming player who has plenty to offer and his arrival will only increase competition for places."
gun__1280842409_watt_sanchez.jpg
Young forward Sanchez Watt has today joined newly-promoted Leeds United on loan for the entire 2010/2011 season.Nineteen year-old Sanchez will be familiar with his surroundings for next season, as he spent the last two months of the 2009/2010 on loan at Elland Road, helping the Yorkshire club to promotion to the Championship. Sanchez made a memorable first-team debut last season. Being named in the starting line-up for the Carling Cup Third Round match against West Bromwich Albion in September 2009, the London-born striker impressed throughout the match and rounded off a fine performance by scoring Arsenal's first goal in the 2-0 home victory. Sanchez, full name Herschel Sanchez Watt, featured in all three Carling Cup matches last season. In addition to his scoring debut against West Brom, Sanchez came on as a substitute in the home victory over Liverpool and the away defeat to Manchester City. The young striker was also in the first-team squad, as an unused substitute, in the away UEFA Champions League victory over Standard Liege last September. Sanchez, who was prolific for the Reserves last season, scoring five goals from just 10 appearances, was also a key member of Arsenal's Under-18 double-winning side in the 2008/09 season. Equally comfortable on the wing or up front, he appeared in all eight of the FA Youth Cup fixtures, netting a brace in the Semi-Final before striking in both legs of the victory over Liverpool in The FA Youth Cup Final. Sanchez joined Arsenal as a scholar in summer 2007, signing professional terms with Arsenal a year later in summer 2008. His fine performances were rewarded last November, when he signed a new long-term contract with the Club. Sanchez, who spent February of last season on loan at Southend United, will immediately join up with Simon Grayson's squad ahead of the new season. Everyone at Arsenal Football Club wishes Sanchez the best of luck during his time with Leeds United.
Arsenal’s loanees are some of the most talked about and debated players at the club, with thousands of fans using websites, blogs and social media to put their points across on potential stars of the future.However, few truly know the daily goings on of players at their loan clubs like the actual supporters of that particular outfit. To get the full perspective on another crop of exciting youngsters, Young Guns’ Loanee Analysis sees me catch up with journalists who follow their club closely.To get the low down on Sanchez Watt, I caught up with Andrew Haigh, a sports journalist for The Sun and an avid Leeds United follower. He kicks the series off by sharing his thoughts on Sanchez’s season.What was the feeling when Sanchez signed for Leeds?“I think the vast majority of fans were delighted with the signing. Sanchez was on loan with us for a few months last season in League One and showed glimpses of the energy and skill he could offer so we knew we were getting a good player who could play in a number of attacking positions.”“Some had even higher hopes for him and I can remember Martin Kelner on BBC FiveLive’s Fighting Talk at the start of the season arguing why Sanchez could be the signing of the season across all leagues.”How has the season been and what part did Sanchez play in it?“As a whole, our season has been a good one considering it was our first back in the Championship. We finished seventh, just missing out on the play-offs by three points. We began well, but mental and physical exhaustion culminated in a run of poor performances, meaning we faded away badly.”“As for Sanchez, I think even he will admit it has been a season of ups and downs. It began well for him and he started the first six league games of the season. He mainly got his chance because Max Gradel was suspended for the first four matches of the season and Robert Snodgrass was injured. When they returned, Sanchez lost his place. He then got injured and the team was settled, so it was difficult for him to get back in.”“He had a run around the two FA Cup matches against Arsenal in January, but more injuries meant he he didn’t have a real impact in the closing stages.”What would you consider his highlights this season?“The match that really sticks out was during his run of starts at the beginning of the season when we played Millwall on August 21st. Sanchez was given a free role behind Becchio and really excelled. He was in his element with the freedom to express himself as well as having the chance show his hard work closing down both Millwall’s midfield and defence. He grew in confidence and even made Soccer AM’s Showboat with this brilliant piece of skill.”What would you consider his low-lights this season?“The number of injuries he has had restricted his progress and I think that will have frustrated him. I imagine that failing to properly challenge Gradel and Snodgrass for starting spots will have been personally disappointing for him, but he really should have been given more of a chance to shine in a central role. If I was being ultra-critical, as an attacking player, I would have hoped for him to score more than just the one goal too.”What does the future hold and do you think he’ll make the grade at Arsenal?“In all honesty, I don’t believe Sanchez has a long-term future there. At 20, he is not a young player anymore and although he is clearly talented, I can never see him pushing Samir Nasri or Theo Walcott for a spot in your first team. I’d fully expect him to move on this summer in a permanent deal somewhere and it would not surprise me if Leeds made a bid for him. That said, I can see him commanding a decent fee and Leeds haven’t really been known to pay big fees in recent seasons. Without doubt though, Leeds fans would welcome him back with open arms if he did sign.”Any other stats, facts or little pieces of extra information?“Twitter has really helped Sanchez connect with Leeds fans. A few of our players have come in for criticism on Twitter but Sanchez keeps talking to his fans and he deserves plenty of credit for that, even if his response is just ‘LOL’ or a ‘TeamYouWatt’ hashtag! In all seriousness, we have seen players throw a strop at the first sign of criticism but Sanchez keeps his cool and has shown a professional side that some of his older team-mates haven’t.”“As for his stats, they speak for themselves. His 12 starts and 14 sub appearances show what an inconsistent season he has had while his solitary goal and five assists are an unfair reflection on the impact he did have when he was on the pitch. Overall, we just didn’t see enough of his talent on the pitch.”