Kanye West

Lionel & Dave

although i recognized the sample on Dark fantasy..i wasnt sure.

but after seeing this and all the samples used, i have mixed thoughts now saying this new album was amazing

or just amazingly creative. although im leaning towards saying it shows Kanye's amazing skill in flipping samples

but eeeeevery track? hmmm. cos there were parts of the album that i thought "wow this guy was genius to have done this"

but kind of a downer now knowing it was just built around a sample.

anyway.. these are the samples used for the album. Any change of thoughts on production skill (for this album , not in general)?

if any thing it shows the mans genuis in flipping those samples

• Upvote 1

Pos'd you for the video

But

He's done it on every album like that has he not? No different tbh he still flipped them well enough imo but yeah the fact Power was created pretty much by every part being a mesh of sped up samples isn't great but he's been doing this same thing for years and if it sounds good I don't really care

I personally think its genius how he hears something and then can flip it so drastically and make it sound brand new.

And his musical knowledge is friggin immense.

Another one showing his samples -

Completely cosign.

I'm not surprised by samples in hip hop. Most producers arent musicians. Besides most of them sound like samples anyway. It would be nice for it to go back to the old days and get in real musicians and if anyone is capable it'd be Kanye

On the album, I havent been a Kanye fan for a while but this album is SICK! I feel a few of the GOOD Friday tracks I didnt like on GOOD Friday. Its true what Michel Kane said about hearing songs in context with the rest of the album.

Wow. Musical knowledge is a madness.

Obviously i knew he sampled but i never knew the extent! And some of the stuff he samples!?!

Definate genius. Has gone up in ratings for me tbh.

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

sampling is a skill to me

dnt know why peple complain about it like man aint makin real music cos he aint gt people playin instruments n what not

give a sh*t

as long as the outcome is crack i couldnt care if he went out rolled in the mud n recorded it tbh

but hes good at what he does, its why he is where he is

• Upvote 4

Guest Blue State Of Mind

Also everything Kanye does is seen as innovative by a bunch of sheep like followers who have limited history on Hip-Hop, to be honest Kanye is not this inniovative ground breaking producer everyone sees him as, and it pisses me off sometimes when people make it seem like he is treading on new waters, the same reaction i get when people act like Drake is the first rapper to start singing on tracks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Guest Blue State Of Mind

What's with the chip on your shoulder?

Like them man aren't regarded geniuses in their own right & some say even better than 'Ye in pure Hip-Hop circles.

Kanye West' sh*t goes beyond just hip-hop, hence the added limelight.

I don't care if it goes beyond Hip-Hop, that doesn't automatically make it good. To be honest Kanye always produces better music when he sticks to the same formula he started his career with and Hip-Hop is built on, to this date his best work is College Dropout and his sophomore album Late Registration which while are great albums are very conventional in that they rely heavily on soul samples. What i don't like is when everybody tries to equate being unique to quality, 808 was imo his worst album and was also his most creative one.

Kanyes sh*t isn't groundbreaking, or new only someone with a limited knowledge of the genre would think so and also the fact that Kanye tries his very best to come across as this creative maestro which is why i was very happy when Quincy Jones put him in his place.

In terms of marrying rap & mainstream appeal, in his own way, 'Ye sh*t is groundbreaking. It's been so ever since he dropped.

If you want to say, ''His music's sh*t' then just say that, it's your taste, who are we to dictate that, but if you want to argue his sh*t isn't new, upload some YouTube stuff of similar music or the artists he's apparently copied.

(Not sampled, you & I both know it ain't the same thing...)

Guest Rorschach

Also everything Kanye does is seen as innovative by a bunch of sheep like followers who have limited history on Hip-Hop, to be honest Kanye is not this inniovative ground breaking producer everyone sees him as, and it pisses me off sometimes when people make it seem like he is treading on new waters, the same reaction i get when people act like Drake is the first rapper to start singing on tracks.

Posd for you my friend.

Guest Blue State Of Mind

LMAO u mad cos the ones u like aint gettin the light

u maaaaad

im pretty sure R9 wasnt the first to kick a ball, but people still praise him for his skill

What i've been following Kanye before most of you even knew who he was.

My point is people with a lack of knowledge will say what Kanye is doing is groundbreaking when it is not.

• Downvote 1

US magazine: Kanye West is similar to you in that he's the producer everybody wants to work with in the last decade....

Quincy Jones: How man? No way. Did he write for a symphony orchestra? Does he write for a jazz orchestra? Come on, man. He's just a rapper. There's no comparison. I'm not putting him down or making a judgement or anything, but we come from two different sides of the planet. I spent 28 years learning my first skill. I don't rap. It's not the same thing. A producer has to have some sort of skills that enable him to be a producer. It's totally different to know what to do with 16 woodwinds you know from piccolos down to bass clarinet. It's a whole different mindset. No comparison. None.

• Upvote 1