France named Euro 2016 hosts

TF S4DK

France have been named as hosts of the 2016 European Championships by Uefa president Michel Platini.

The French were voted to stage the tournament by Uefas chief executive committee ahead of Turkey and Italy from the final shortlist.

France beat Turkey by just a single vote after Italy were eliminated in the first round of voting.

Emotion

"This is a beautiful day for us," said Jean-Pierre Escalettes, president of the French Football Federation.

"It is a moment of intense emotion to know that in 2016 France will welcome European football and will fulfil its promises.

"What counts for us is to have the full confidence of Uefa and this trust will not be betrayed.

"We also understand the frustration of Italy and Turkey - particularly Turkey, who lost by a single vote after bidding for a third time."

Frenchman Platini admits making the choice had put him in a difficult position, being of Italian descent and enjoying the best years of his playing career at Juventus.

"The position of the president of Uefa being French is complex and let me say we have had three exceptional bids," said Platini.

"It was a very narrow decision - the work done by all three federations was outstanding, and I would like to congratulate the French.

"It has been a complicated situation from the outset and I believe there is a sigh of relief from French football, and they can now upgrade all their stadia to make them up to the same standard as other countries in Europe.

"It was not an easy situation for me - I am French, my name is Italian and I have many friends in Turkey. It was the same for Senes Erzik, the [Turkish] first vice-president of Uefa. But Uefa has proved once again that we have democracy."

Support

France President Nicolas Sarkozy appeared at the ceremony to support his country's bid as the French were awarded the tournament for the third time.

The competition will mark the first time that 24 countries will contest the title, up from 16 in 2012.

France previously hosted the World Cup in 1938 and 1998, winning the latter competition, and also saw success on home soil at Euro '84.

Guest Triple XXX

u know what i need to pay more attention

lmao

proper thought this was about the world cup even tho it clearly says Euro but that flew past me