Putting on weight + Going gym

Natty

u will put on more weight if u work out you know?
nah, u put on more weight if u don't work out, you're hungrier if u go gym but u burn more calories as well.
ok that may be true but, you are trying to tell him how to get fat, not put on good weight?

ppl are obsessed with this 'bulking' business. mainly cos they cant ever get a good diet. they bulk but never cut, or "cut" by stopping going to the gym!!depending on your age and genes , but for the most part if you're under 25 you dont EVER really need to be so concerned about weight (if you go to the gym consistently and on a serious basis), unless its for sport, you're OVERweight, or you're terribly underweight. All you need to do is eat well, and put in those extra calories from a good balanced diet of Complex carbs, fats and proteins, and train properly changing your routine every 4-6 week, and its not hard to do.......4-6 small meals a day every 2 or 2.5 hrs, with or without a protein supplement. someone who feels he doesn't gain weight despite training well can be a 'hard gainer'. but hard gain can only claim to be one if he's actually had a good diet spaced well throughout the day, not having 2 large meals and many crappy snacks the rest of the day claiming he cant put on weight.eventually, with age that weight will come on if you do it properly.all this "back on the bulking" stuff at this stage i keep reading to me is just utter nonsense, but thats just me.

• Upvote 2

Corse u have have to worry about weight going up or downthat's how u get bigger or cutI can understand if u are tryna say u shud slowly try and get biggerbut ultimately ure chatting sh*t IMO
no you dont have to worry. if you weigh 75kg and start going gym and you fluctuate between 70-77kg over the course of a yr and youve been training and eating right whats the problem with that?the main issue should be if you look more muscular, and if you're getting stronger. the process of burning fat and building muscle can occur at the same time. a guy who weighs 85kg and put on 5kg in 2 months, can still be just AS strong and look less muscular than a guy who weighs 75-80kg who hasnt added much weight in 8 months. not everyone has to look ripped but we all know about those fat/bulky but shapeless guys who lift weight types.

u will put on more weight if u work out you know?
nah, u put on more weight if u don't work out, you're hungrier if u go gym but u burn more calories as well.
ok that may be true but, you are trying to tell him how to get fat, not put on good weight?
nah of course not, i was trying to point out, in a quite a round about way how important ur diet is.

It has beeen said before but 5x5 is a really solid workout on building up a foundation. You will need to hit gym at least 3 times a week for you to benefit from the workout. It has taken me a year to really notice a size gain.I started on the 5x5 workout and went back to it 7 weeks ago. When I first start I was pretty much doing bar with 2.5kg on either side. You will feel like a p****y using light weights but its important that you learn good form while the weight is light. Squatting !00+kg require concentration and good form.

Natty, squats aren't some big thing. I did them for the first time on Saturday (won't lie I was shook about doing them wrong before) and just asked someone to let me know how my form is. When they showed me how to do it properly you can properly feel it working your legs. And I did it with light weights on the bar so I can only imagine what heavy weights should do for you.Just get a bar with light weights or just the bar and ask someone how to do it properly.

i read that this whole "cutting and bulking" mythology is because people wanted to use bodybuilder's routines, but the reason bodybuilders cut and bulk is in line with their steroid use and cycles. ie. that if you're not juicing then you don't ever really like to 'cut' or 'bulk' (like carpedeum said), just eat a good healthy diet of around 2000-2500 calories with a bit more protein in than the government daily allowance guidelines. obviously if you're overweight or underweight nthen you need to lose/gain weight nwhich i suppose you could call a 'cut'/'bulk'also this thing about "1g of protein per lb bodyweight" is supposed ot be absolute bullsh*t as well, like most people's bodies can't even process that much protein on a daily basis, again, unless they're using "extra help"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

I'm 23. 5ft 9/10 inches. 10.5 stone. Skinny. My BMI is 21.Im about 1-2 inches shorter than my dad at most who is also very skinny, and marge is about 10/12 clothes size and about 4/5 inches shorter than me.Would like to put on some weight to look more athletic/ tad more muscular.I Walk a lot. A month ago, i bought some roller skates, and i roller skate around the ends about 3 times a week on average for about 3hours each time. Not 3 continous hours, going up and down mad steep hills etc. Realistically, im not going gym. Don't have the motivation, time or money with parental responsibilities and it's not really my thing.Don't always have breakfast if i do it its usually a cereal ting, usually miss out lunch / have little snacks but have a decent dinner. Im not gonna stop roller skating anytime soon so unless i start eating double what i am right now i aint gonna be putting on weight in drastic measure. i know i must be burning a lot of calories possibly more than im eating. So im thinking of realistic ways of getting fitter and looking more defined/athletic. Ive been looking for a weight bench to put in my garden, i will use it if/when i get one. Good idea?Any other ideas/tips .....

You guys reckon this bench is good for an Olympic Weight set im using? It came with 100kg plates and bar weighs like 16kg-20kg 6ft longhttp://www.uksportimports.com/catalog/weight-benches-94/vitesse-standard-weight-bench-2287.htmlIm a beginner and would be follwing the 5x5 schedule, copping this http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/sports-supplements-weight-gainers-cytosport-cyto-gainer-2-72kg and looking to eat 3500kals a day of healthy foods been looking at a few sample onesI basically want to bulk and realisticly how much of a progress would i make in 6months? till Jan 2011? im 75kg at 6'1, skinny i know. Been doing bare research on bulk so im definately looking to start proper when i get a decent good bench.Im open to adivce aswell

bench looks abit flimsy but i'm only comparing to the benches at the gym.. they should come with some warming about how much weight they can hold safetly..if you're looking to bulk, use every opportunity to have a spotting partner as you can so you can push yourself with heavier weight.i can bench 110 quite easily now..but unless i got someone to spot me i don't like going over 90-100

Safe for the reply, yeah that bench looks like it wont be able to handle an olympic barWill go for this one still http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/barbell_benches/best_fitness_folding_olympic_bench_with_leg_developer/8869_p.html looks sturdy and takes my 6ft olympic bar nicely, the folding over would be handy aswell as my room is smallas for a spotter my neighbours on the weights thing aswell so he would be able to back it