MORTAL KOMBAT

Bruno Di Gradi

Speculation has run rampant today with the debut of a short "Mortal Kombat" film (subtitled "Rebirth") that made its way anonymously to YouTube. Now, Latino Review reports that the film is, as many theorized, a test for a potential R-rated film reboot of the video game franchise.

The short is directed by Kevin Tancharoen, the director of last year's Fame, and features a cast that includes name actors like Michael Jai White (Jax), Jeri Ryan (Sonya Blade), Matt Mullins (Johnny Cage), Lateef Crowder (Baraka) and Ian Anthony Dale (Scorpion) with fight choreography by Larnell Stovall.

Though there is no guarantee that these actors will play the characters in a feature film version or even that a feature film will actually happen, the short is already a huge success online, with the word "Kombat" already a trending topic on Twitter.

/

I was sceptical of this asoon as I heard the trailer was released. Warner Bros are being sued by like two different companies who still own some sort of rights to the MK franchise, so until its resolved no sort of official filming production can go ahead. I do sort C/S spideys views i mean scorpian being the savior of earth = Nah. Regardless I would be down for another MK production in any form

Yeah C/S Spiderman

People who watch these kind of remakes are only being fooled by the use of the franchise name.

Just an easy way to market your product without having to establish a new brand, simply use one everybody knows.

Who remembers that swag dragonball film, still refuse to watch it.

I can't go cosign the nerd talk in this case and i have played Mortal Kombat since the first one came out a million years ago.

The campness of the original has had its time in the first 2 films. I think this is a good fresh take on it. Its something different and it looks like it was/is heading in the right direction. If they stuck to close to what they have done before then it would be another camp King of Fighters/ Tekken piece of sh*t film.

Guest Esquilax

TBH the idea of Reptile having Harlequin Ichthyosis is quite sick

Rest of it I'm not too sure about, dreadlock baraka, scorpion being the saviour, etc etc

That wasteman was waay too skinny to Jonny Cage as well, he's meant to be blench

I'd give it a go though

looks sh*t. allow making reptile some kind of freak, he is a ninja and he isnt from our version of earth or even human. and baraka as some flipped out doctor, they are taking the piss.

its more like csi-wierdo kombat.

the actors just use the names and the gimmicks of the characters, otherwise their completely different.

lol eeshh

/

tbh i just think its a re-vamp, which is done all the time. As long as its good then its all good imo

but tbf i stopped giving a sh*t about mortal kombat when i was in like year 8, too many sh*t games

looks ok so far

the way i see it mortal wombat has been a sh*t franchise since they brang out the 3rd game

the films were pretty much corny too

this seems kinda gritty and might just work esp with the blood and gore

then again if they go overboard with the blood and stuff it will get a 18 cert and flop at the cine so i dunno

looks ok so far

the way i see it mortal wombat has been a sh*t franchise since they brang out the 3rd game

the films were pretty much corny too

this seems kinda gritty and might just work esp with the blood and gore

then again if they go overboard with the blood and stuff it will get a 18 cert and flop at the cine so i dunno

blade 1 and 2 say different

the only reason why the whole mortal kombat image has gone corny and stale is because a lot of different forms of media have never portrayed it right and its their bad efforts that have stained it.

the original story is f*ckin sick, they just never reaaaally show it (the only thing that comes close is brief moments in mortal kombat conquest). they could make a serious movie on sub-zero and the lin kuei, the story has a lot of potential. they will never go this way though.

7 minute trailer for a movie looks pretty f*ck*ng long tbh, I reckon its a new game.

That said, dunno what the f*ck they were thinking when they tried to turn badman ninja into freak human, and Baraka as a psycho doctor, I loled.

Bet they try tell man Raiden is some sort of magician.

lol for real.

this sh*t just doesnt wash with me. mite aswell have ben mitchel as shao khan, and his finisher is to burn you with a spoon.

as reboots go its not bad AT ALL

the last few mortal kombat games and associations have been absolutely diabolical - true to story or not. Step in the right direction i say.

true. i suppose they could of tried to stick to the concept but if they made that shitter then the 2 before it would be worse.