Vuvuzelas to be banned ?

Admin.

South Africa's World Cup organising chief Danny Jordaan may ban vuvuzelas from inside stadiums after complaints from broadcasters and supporters.

The constant sound of the high-pitched horn-like instrument has so far drowned out much of the atmosphere-generating singing usually associated with games.

And Jordaan, when asked if he would get rid of them, told BBC Sport: "If there are grounds to do so, yes.

"We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action."

France captain Patrice Evra has already blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas, which has been likened to the drone of thousands of bees, for his side's poor showing in their opening group game against Uruguay, which finished goalless.

He said: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6am.

"We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."

Jordaan conceded that while the noise was irritating for some people, they were doing all they could to minimise the impact.

"We've tried to get some order," he continued. "We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It's difficult but we're trying to manage the best we can.

"We've had some broadcasters and individuals [complaining] and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going basis."

Jordaan admitted he was not a huge fan of them himself. "I would prefer singing," he said.

"It's always been a great generator of a wonderful atmosphere in stadiums and I would try to encourage them to sing.

"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history it's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."

---------------------

doing it in the ground ok to an extent but lmao just doing it all day from bed to bed is a pisstake

While they are at it make sure the England band are banned, sick and tired of them.

I don't have a major prob with the vuvuzelas, it's just what they do. Adds some noise but yea we do like crowd chants just not heard much of it although the games have not had much to shout about let's be honest.

There need to shut them up if a match goes to spot kicks!

Evra is a mug, blaming them for how sh*t France are.

They didn't ban them for Confederations cup, and although it isn't as a big as a tournament, doubt they will now. Plus, I saw someone tweet that the first branded ones have been brought out, so as soon as they start making money best believe that they are staying.

makes every match sound the same imo.

True, one of the best things about World Cup games is how the fans bring their own flavour to the atmosphere but at this one I haven't been able to tell.

If the Dutch game sounds like any other then there's no hope.

• Upvote 2

Guest Awesome Kong

The thing is, if your gonna have a world cup in a country, how you gonna start crying like a bitch because they embrace football with these vuvuzelas and their culture? From what I'm seeing are a whole country vibezing, bare smiles, dancing and everyone enjoying themselves. It is the norm for SA football to have this noise in football matches, how can these people claim to be the best in the world if they can't adapt? Dumb f*ck*ng Europeans, blacks and whites.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

its sorta like having ur mum come in the room and do the hoover and stand in the way of the telly... on a continuous loop... forever

saying that it does add atmosphere

we've come too far tbh, its become expected

if we start hearing silence from now on its like

f*ck we ruined the world cup for em

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1