Sepp: 'I'm sorry'

Flojo

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has apologised to the Football Association over Frank Lampard's disallowed goal in England's World Cup defeat by Germany.

Lampard was denied a goal in Sunday's 4-1 defeat, even though his shot clearly crossed the line.

He said the debate on goal-line technology would be reopened when the International FA Board meets in July.

Blatter also said sorry to Mexico after Argentina's Carlos Tevez scored from an offside position in their last 16 game.

Lampard's strike came during a spell of England dominance and would have levelled the score at 2-2.

"It is obvious that after the experiences so far at this World Cup it would be a nonsense not to re-open the file on goal-line technology," said Blatter.

The Tevez goal - the first in Argentina's 3-1 win - was replayed on the screens in the stadium, meaning players and fans could see the officials' mistake.

"Personally I deplore it when you see evident referee mistakes but it's not the end of a competition or the end of football, this can happen," said Blatter.

"The only thing I can do is yesterday I have spoken to the two federations (England and Mexico) directly concerned by referees mistakes.

"I have expressed to them apologies and I understand they are not happy and that people are criticising.

"We will naturally take on board the discussion on technology and have first opportunity in July at the business meeting."

lol this guy, the way he says it as if it's an issue that's only arisen at this world cup.

im for goal line tech myself - but can it not be argued that if we start with goaline tech now with regard to offsides, ball crossing lines then where will it stop, people would be calling for technology to determine whether or not a foul was a foul, a red should of been a yellow, etc etc

Guest Medic

im for goal line tech myself - but can it not be argued that if we start with goaline tech now with regard to offsides, ball crossing lines then where will it stop, people would be calling for technology to determine whether or not a foul was a foul, a red should of been a yellow, etc etc

Yeah thats what Motson was saying, but think someone said make it so each team only has 3 appeals or whatever per match. Can't see it working in football, would just disrupt the game, a team under the pressure could abused it so their players could catch a breather, things like that.

Edit - grr

It WILL disrupt the game. Teams will use it tactically.

The whole beauty of football is that it's played the same, with the same rules at grass roots level as it is in the World Cup final.

Forget about grass roots, League 1 and 2 teams couldn't afford goal line technology installed in their stadiums. The money isn't there.

I don't know whats best, but it isn't as simple as Blatters laze/pig headdedness as the only reason it's not here.

The thing is Platini suggested the extra officials behind the goal like UEFA used in the Europa league last season and Blatter scoffed at it, it could have been so easily implemented in this World Cup so why not?

Exactly, if they don't want to use technology, the extra official works better, would of blatantly seen that goal.

• Upvote 1

Guest TimeBomb

its been done in the NHL for years, only takes couple mins for a decision, and has not extended to other areas of the game, it should be used in football.

The thing is Platini suggested the extra officials behind the goal like UEFA used in the Europa league last season and Blatter scoffed at it, it could have been so easily implemented in this World Cup so why not?

Exactly, if they don't want to use technology, the extra official works better, would of blatantly seen that goal.

what happens when theres many players defending a corner for example and theres a handball that the officials behind the line cdnt see? technology again then? plus, this system has to be implemented everywhere in the world doesnt it? very different to just the NHL or Tennis

what happens when theres many players defending a corner for example and theres a handball that the officials behind the line cdnt see? technology again then? plus, this system has to be implemented everywhere in the world doesnt it? very different to just the NHL or Tennis

Because you can't eradicate poor decisions completely you shouldn't try to eradicate any of them? A referee, two linesman and officials facing onto the pitch from behind the goal drastically reduces the chances of bad decisions being made. Getting 2 extra officials for games wouldn't be difficult and even if they do introduce video I'm sure they'll have no problems if the Super League can afford to have it at all their games.

I think a more important issue in football right now is the level of refereeing.

Video technology should be the last thing they concern themselves with. From time players are getting sent off without the ref or any of the other officials even SEEING anything then something needs to change.

And another thing about the extra goal line officials....everytime i was watching UEFA cup last season, I didnt see ONE decision that was influenced by thos extra officials, even when they were closer AND looking at the incidents. Whats the point of them being there if theyre not gonna actually do anything. If there has been on beg someone post a link.