Standing seats on a plane

Guest Triple XXX

Guest Triple XXX
_48230970_vertical_seats466x270.gif

Low-cost airline Ryanair has a plan for standing seats on its planes, but airline experts say it will never happen. Why does the budget carrier come up with far-fetched schemes which often don't come to pass?

A standing room only ticket is, traditionally, dirt-cheap. So it's easy to see why this idea appeals to both a no-frills carrier and its bargain-hungry customers.

Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary - fond of speculating publicly about outlandish money-saving schemes - says his airline is considering vertical seats akin to bar stools with seatbelts. Despite talk of safety testing and tickets selling for £4 or less, aviation experts say such plans are pie in the sky.

It's not the first time the airline has floated the standing seats idea, or indeed come up with headline grabbing schemes which fail to materialise. Charging passengers to use loos is another example, as is a so-called fat-tax - surcharging overweight flyers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8779388.stm

what a dumb idea, no way am i standing on a f*ckin plane journey

• Downvote 1

lol, only Ryanair.

I'm not gonna lie, if it was for real that £4 would tempt me providing it was to somewhere like Spain (I stand for longer at work-and there's a lil piece of seat there), but like zoned out said-never a 20 hour flight.

I'd feel like cattle though.

Guest Awesome Kong

LOL at this passing safety. If it does and there's a crash, they will blame these seats as a major cause of death.

If there was a crash and i wasnt already dead, pretty sure id rather already be standing up than sitting down.

LOL, nah mate.

• Downvote 1

You lot are over reacting..say your with the mandem all hype going on a 2 hour flight to somewhere..id much rather just stand and save money..not like ur standing up straight with nothing to lean on...and if any of you are tall like me u'll know that sitting down is proberly far more uncomfortable than standing anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1