Laurent Koscielny completes move to Arsenal

TF S4DK

Arsenal new recruit Laurent Koscielny says he will need time to 'adapt' to the rigours of the Premier League.The Gunners swooped to capture the signature of the centre-back from French side Lorient on Thursday in a bid to bolster their back line.William Gallas and Sol Campbell are free agents this summer and the purchase of Koscielny - for an undisclosed fee - gives manager Arsene Wenger much-needed options.But the 24-year-old warned he would not be ready to compete in England immediately as he is not yet strong enough to deal with its physical nature."I will need time to adapt. I have to earn a position in the team and play," said Koscielny in L'Equipe."Nothing is for sure so far. I believe I will have to work hard, doing a lot of bodybuilding exercises to resist Premier League forwards.Cleverness"I am not strongly built, but I make up for it with some cleverness, positioning and anticipation. I believe the manager has appreciated my state of mind, my concentration on the game."The move to the Emirates Stadium marks a significant step up in class for the Frenchman and the promising stopper has been rewarded with a long-term contract, although the club refused to give an exact time-period for the deal.Arsenal will look to challenge for title honours this campaign after fading away badly last season and Koscielny admits he is delighted to be given such an opportunity.And once he knew the London club were interested in signing him, the chance to move across the Channel proved to be an offer too good to turn down.Speaking about his delight at securing a deal, Koscielny added: "I have started to realise, above all when I had my first training session."It is logical some team-mates don't know me. But I am so happy. It would be difficult to not be happy."When Arsenal called me I didn't hesitate one second, I didn't even think about it. I immediately replied 'yes'. Anyway, if it would not have been Arsenal, it would have been nothing else."Re-launchKoscielny feels his style of play can be an asset to the Gunners, who are known for their brand of passing football.The former Tours FC man also believes his time in an Arsenal jersey could reap rewards in the form of caps for his national team.He explained: "Moreover, as with (Lorient boss) Christian Gourcuff and (Tours FC manager) Daniel Sanchez, Mr Wenger likes the game to start with defenders."For those tacticians, they are the first to re-launch the game. I am a player, I like it."The French team? I don't think about it so far. However, if I play at Arsenal (it could happen)."

ive seen drogba stopped by people smaller than him. its not even a physical ting, arsenal as a club is shook of drogba and no special preparations are made to deal with him... or rooney or any of the players that dead us annually. we need to do what inter did... rough him up, get under his skin so he snaps.

Koscielny: "That signature"Koscielny Lawrence is "back down to earth. Transferred from Lorient Arsenal defender for 24 years does not consider joining the Gunners as an end in itself. "The goal now is to play.""Laurent Koscielny, you're a Gunner. What are your impressions?It's another world! When you see the training center, the stadium is really huge. Here, there was everything to think only of football. At first, I confess that I did not realize too, but now it's been a week since I returned, everyone puts me at ease. I'm back down to earth. This is a signature. The goal now is to play.How far back do your first contact with Arsenal?Just after our match in Lille, about 18-19 May Even if I knew that this was not a joke, I was really surprised that Arsenal could be interested in Lorient player, with one season of L1 in the legs ... In my head, it was clear he had to go there. A chance like this, it does this maybe once in your whole career. I did not want to miss it.The operation took some time to finalize. Do you fear that it would not?Not too much. Lorient leaders wanted a lot of money, but they also knew that for a player, Arsenal, it can not refuse. They did not put spokes in the wheels.Whether you Arsene Wenger said on arrival?He knew my qualities, that they had appreciated and it was a gamble on me. Even if I no pressure, I know that I'll have to bump a lot. Failure to train every day with international players must teach me.Three years ago, you still évoluiez National. What is your perspective on your career?It is atypical. Like what, it goes fast football ... When I moved from Guingamp to hunt me in Tours in 2007, never imagined I would go so high. I hope this is not finished.At one point there was talk that you can take to defend the Polish national colors of this selection. This makes you transfer there to wait a bit?I did not think too much, but my mind, I am French. The Blues? I think more or less, but if I do not play at Arsenal, it will be difficult to go there. This is also why the priority is to win here. If I do, why not expect a first selection? "Interview by Emery Taisne

• 1 year later...