'Go Against Me Better Starting Thinking Again If Its War We Aint Friends Wont Make No Comeback Like Alf Haalend Sik Wid D Armband Lyk Malindi Bakden'

Mame Biram Diouf

Injured Germany captain Michael Ballack has assured World Cup skipper Philipp Lahm he is prepared to fight for the armband.

Bayern Munich full-back Lahm enjoyed a successful captaincy at the World Cup, leading Germany to a third-place finish, and has revealed he is keen to retain the role even when Ballack makes his comeback.

But former Blues man Ballack, who penned a two-year deal with Bayer Leverkusen last month and was officially unveiled on Wednesday, says he will not step aside for his 26-year-old compatriot.

"This is no issue for me. I am the captain," said Ballack.

"A player cannot request in what position he wants to play, and it is the same with the captaincy. One should respect this. There are hierarchies."

Lahm last week told the Bild newspaper: "It is clear I would like to retain the captaincy. The job is a lot of fun for me. Why should I then voluntarily give up the role?"

War report

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 18