AFA: "Diego your bars are worthy of another 4 years"

Flojo

Diego Maradona will be offered a new deal that would keep him in charge of Argentina through to the summer of 2014 - when Brazil stages the World Cup.

He led Argentina to the 2010 World Cup quarter-finals in South Africa and the contract would mean he would be still be coach if they qualify next time.

The Argentine Football Association president Julio Grondona will meet the 49-year-old next week.

Maradona had hinted he would quit after the 4-0 last-eight defeat by Germany.

Grondona intends to have talks with Argentina's former World Cup-winning captain no later than Wednesday of next week to discuss extending his contract.

Despite leading Argentina to victory at the 1986 finals in Mexico as a player, Maradona was a controversial appointment as coach in 2008.

He had little coaching experience and had endured a host of personal problems following his retirement.

However, Maradona guided Argentina to the recent World Cup finals after a late winning goal in their final qualification match against Uruguay.

In South Africa, Argentina looked like convincing contenders for the trophy, comfortably winning their first three group matches and their last-16 clash with Mexico.

But the well-organised German outfit negated Argentina's array of attacking talent, including Barcelona star Lionel Messi, Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain and Manchester City's Carlos Tevez, before ruthlessly highlighting the defensive frailties of Maradona's side.

"I may leave tomorrow," was Maradona's immediate response to the exit from the tournament.

But he added: "We will see what happens. I haven't thought about leaving. I have to check that with my family and the players and there are things I have to consider."

Another 4 years of Maradona dropping bars should be entertaining, surprised at the decision though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...