Francis Coquelin signs new long-term contract

TF S4DK

Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that young Frenchman Francis Coquelin has signed a new long-term contract.Coquelin, who made three first team appearances last season, joined Arsenal from hometown club Laval in summer 2008 and enjoyed a productive first season at the Club, catching the eye during the Club's triumphant FA Youth Cup campaign and also in the Reserves.He continued to impress last season for the Reserves, being a regular in Neil Banfield's side, making 12 appearances. The 19-year-old midfielder, who is also comfortable in defence, has taken the opportunity to gain valuable experience by signing for French Ligue 1 side Lorient for the 2010/11 season. Coquelin made his Arsenal first-team debut in the Carling Cup victory over Sheffield United in September 2008, coming on as a 69th-minute substitute.Last season, he was twice named in Arsène Wenger's starting line-ups - for the Carling Cup Third Round match against West Brom, and also for the FA Cup Fourth Round match at Stoke City. His other first team appearance last season came as a late substitute in the Carling Cup victory over Liverpool at Emirates Stadium. Everyone at Arsenal looks forward to Francis' continued contribution to the Club in the years to come, and wish him the best of luck for next season with Lorient.

Francis Coquelin believes Arsenal is the club for him after putting pen to paper on a new long-term contract at Emirates Stadium.The French midfielder won't be seen in a red and white shirt any time soon after agreeing a season-long loan deal with Ligue 1 side Lorient - the former club of recent Arsenal signing Laurent Koscielny.But once Coquelin has got some valuable first-team experience under his belt he intends to push his way into the Arsenal reckoning after committing his future to the Gunners."I feel really happy to sign a new contract," he told Arsenal.com. "I've had two great years already and now I will carry on and hopefully it will continue going well."Arsenal is the right club for me because Arsène Wenger trusts young players and we can learn quickly at a high level. That's why I went there in the first place."The first six months were quite hard for me because of the language but now I have learned English, now I have my house, my friends in England, and I feel comfortable."They have given me a new contract so obviously they are counting on me and I am really pleased with that. I will give that back by working hard."

• 2 years later...

Francis Coquelin is determined to make a name for himself at Arsenal, but admitted he may look to move on in January if he is not featuring in the first-team.

The France Under-21 international was rewarded with a new long-term contract at Emirates Stadium at the start of the year and made 17 appearances for the Gunners last term.

He spent the previous campaign out on loan with Lorient and was linked with a summer back to his homeland with the Ligue 1 outfit, while Everton, QPR and Aston Villa were all credited with an interest in his services.

The 21-year-old held talks with manager Arsene Wenger prior to the new season where he was assured he was part of the manager's plans for the new campaign.

Coquelin hoped the departure of Alex Song would see further opportunities come his way and is now looking to dislodge the star trio of Abou Diaby, Mikel Arteta or Santi Cazorla from the line-up.

He told L'Equipe: "In July, I met the coach and he told me I am a full member of the team and he relies on me. Looking at who we have signed, they have trust in me.

"Alex Song left for Barcelona and they didn't (sign) another defensive midfielder.

"When I didn't play in the first three matches it made me think about it. But I know I will get an opportunity and I will seize it.

"Arteta, Diaby and Cazorla are great players, who have more experience than me. But during training sessions every morning I am not behind them.

"I am 21-years-old, I know I cannot be patient any more. This year is the right season to make a name for myself at Arsenal.

"I have given myself six months and then I will take stock. If I see it is blocked, I will go somewhere else. But for now I know I have the qualities to make a name for myself at Arsenal."

Diaby ain't bitching tho.

TBH he never has.

We bitch more about him than the other way round...

Coquelin, has enough sense to see why he can't get in the team... even the player that was ahead of him last season is now on the bench and he didn't have a bettr pre-season than Diaby or Arteta. So the talk about training is a bit, meh.

• 2 years later...

couple games and you man are gassed 

yet a few weeks ago guys were mocking him and the user here who has him as his username 

whole of this season youve been banging on how you need a proper wc established dm now all my friends who are arsenal fans are saying yh coquelin hes our new dm 

pmsl 

make up your minds lads

couple games and you man are gassed 

yet a few weeks ago guys were mocking him and the user here who has him as his username 

whole of this season youve been banging on how you need a proper wc established dm now all my friends who are arsenal fans are saying yh coquelin hes our new dm 

pmsl 

make up your minds lads

he was good when he was starting 2-3 season ago 

i remember most ppl on this forum were shocked when he went on loan 

Hardly gassed.

Arteta we wanted gone last season, it didnt happen, so we was stuck with Arteta, he got injured and Flamini started making Arteta look WC.

Nobody actually mocked Coquelin. Believe it or not Coquelin was rated by us all as a younger, problem was when he wasn't too concerned with doing step overs, he was picking up rash yellows. When I would track his progress on loan I'd see him playing for worse teams than Arsenal everywhere but DM and if he aint playing DM imo he won't get and isn't good enough to get game time at Arsenal.

Was shocked when he went Charlton (cos he is better than that) and even more shocked when we recalled him, cos I thought he was done at Arsenal. However I've read a couple of his interviews about his time at Charlton and he spoke like he learned a lot/penny had finally dropped, despite what he said (posting it below), before Sunday I still worried he ain't got the frame/stature or discpline to play there for us.

“The Championship is a tough league. Maybe technically the Premier League is a little bit better but in terms of power, engagement in duels and challenges, I think the Championship is a very tough league. It helped me come back to the Premier League.

He impressed me, in many ways Sunday. Whole game I'm thinking Coquelin can't keep this up and I said before game he would keep his place & Wenger will and a lot of Arsenal fans see it as the "acid test", however I ain't convinced he's the answer long-term yet, one cos no Yaya, two City was pretty poor, and three I need to see him do it to Chelsea and United who unlike City have the - Defeating Wenger in three easy steps manual. Yes, City beat us, but they don't do it the same as them two and thats where my issue with is frame/stature might come to light.

He has shown enough to earn a new deal (dependent on the wages), and these December to January cameos in live games have been enough to even sell him in a year if it don't work out, something we must have struggled to do in the summer or he wouldn't still be here.

As for Francis Coquelin the user on here,  I mugged him off cos he use to see youngers doing tings in the academy, change his username and then the youngers career which seemed destined for big things suddenly went very very very wrong. Come like a curse.

I forget his original username, but he's Francis Coquelin now and ain't been able to change cos name changes got banned, if not I'm sure he would have ditched Coquelin by now. Before that he was Bendtner, Merida and Barazite. I'll let you google all of them three...

• Upvote 1

As for Francis Coquelin the user on here,  I mugged him off cos he use to see youngers doing tings in the academy, change his username and then the youngers career which seemed destined for big things suddenly went very very very wrong. Come like a curse.

I forget his original username, but he's Francis Coquelin now and ain't been able to change cos name changes got banned, if not I'm sure he would have ditched Coquelin by now. Before that he was Bendtner, Merida and Barazite. I'll let you google all of them three...

oh yh - who was he before i forget

it was another failed arsenal yute