Viruses and Partitions

Skola

Background:

I had one of them "windows xp security" viruses I eventually got rid of with malwarebytes. After the final removal and reboot - I started having big problems - system restores etc didnt help. As soon as I turn my laptop on (dell M90 running XP) there are random ascii characters spammed over the post screen, before windows even boots. Sometimes the machine shows the xp loading screen, then goes blank. Other times it blue screens, other times it loads into windows but with more strange graphical stuff going on (colours look very low-bit, resolution is very low etc). the "which way would you like to start windows" (normal, last known good etc) is barely readable coz of random characters.

So, I thought it may be the bios, reflashed to the latest version. Still the same. Upgraded the graphics card drivers, still the same (both drivers from dell support site).

The last thing I can think of is a reformat - which is overdue and I have windows 7 so can upgrade at the same time.

My question - I have 3 partitions - C: Windows, D: Programs and E: Music and Video (or something like this). It would be quicker to only reformat Windows and Programs drives but Im concerned that elements of the issue / virus could be lurking in my E:

Should I be safe and refotmat the whole thing? With the downside being more time needed to copy 10s of gigs of data over usb 2.0 connection.

Thankyouplease.

most unlikely the viruses would have done anything in your music/video drive...

them rogue anti-virus viruses basically just mess up system files and are a pain in the arse to remove.

format the windows/software partitions and install windows 7 from fresh, you will be fine.

*edit, also i see u said u used system restore... you should turn OFF system restore BEFORE u clean any viruses, if the viruses have infected your system's files, system restore basically has backed up these files and could possibly restore the infected files again...

• Upvote 1

yeah mate

first partiition is C: - make it your windows system files only imo.

system files being on the first sector of the disk = lower seek time = better performance 9in theory)

next one for other programs last one for media. thats what i found recommended on a few websites. not sure how big to make your windows drive tho maybe 20gb or something...

/

cheers jcee. just what i wanted to hear. good to know about sys restore aswell. i think thats exactly what happened coz the restore just made it worse lol. thanks! another to do for the list...

/

smh @ hedonist. im bless. klthnxbye

K i've just partitioned my HDD as Skola suggested, is there any way to change default directories to particular drives?

Eg Music to Multimedia drive and non-system installlation directories to my program drive

Also my core system drive is still massive 120 gig, windows wouldnt allow me to shrink it beyond 100 gig is that a failsafe feature or do i need to defrag it to get more shrink space?