Wyclef as President of Haiti?

2deal2

Wyclef as President of Haiti?

Your opinions?

Look at Arnie Schwarzenegger running California - he ain't doing too well...

I think the Haitians want Wyclef because he'll get the West to pay more attention (and money/aid) to them...

What's his real motivation?

The country had tons of problems BEFORE the disaster

I'd rather see the Fugees reunite...

Guest WAVESURFER

Will he even be allowed to run?

I'm sure I read somewhere that he has U.S. Citizenship, and to run for President of Haiti you aren't allowed to have been a citizen of any country other than Haiti itself at any time.

Aside from this obstacle, I say f*ck it, give him a shot. It's not like he's gonna plunge Haiti any further down the shitter, it's so f*cked right now that the only way is up IMO.

he's haitian by natural birth, thats enough to get him qualified. He'll probably have to renounce His US citizenship i think.

there's alot of international hypocrisy surrounding haiti's development. if he cant stand up to that or doesnt plan to then he might be better off reuniting the fugees not haiti

• Upvote 1

Guest Yilmaz

I think it's a good thing.

His fame and popularity will mean that most Western leaders will be clawing over themselves to meet him and it'll probably attract a lot of aid/sponsorship.

• Downvote 1

His fame and popularity will mean that most Western leaders will be clawing over themselves to meet him and it'll probably attract a lot of aid/sponsorship.

Fraff.

/

lol @ a musician running a country. You have to be f*ck*ng kidding me?

Arnie was the biggest joke elected by a bunch of cunts with a state that now has the biggest financial deficit. Oh so let's try the same in a country completely f*cked because:

"He can't make it any worse"

That's your logic?

f*ck*ng hell. I'm logging off.

• Upvote 3

Guest Yilmaz

Fraff.

/

lol @ a musician running a country. You have to be f*ck*ng kidding me?

Arnie was the biggest joke elected by a bunch of cunts with a state that now has the biggest financial deficit. Oh so let's try the same in a country completely f*cked because:

"He can't make it any worse"

That's your logic?

f*ck*ng hell. I'm logging off.

I take these things on a case by case basis.

Judging by the way politics works these days, the celebrity of Wyclef being involved and/or running his home country will be a good thing imo.

in the long run though fam, I don't care. I'm still eating big pees.

Safe.

• Downvote 1

it would eventually come out:

To cut to the chase, no election in Haiti, and no candidate in those elections, will be considered legitimate by the majority of Haiti’s population, unless it includes the full and fair participation of the Fanmi Lavalas Party of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

Fanmi Lavalas is unquestionably the most popular party in the country, yet the “international community,” led by the United States, France and Canada, has done everything possible to undermine Aristide and Lavalas, overthrowing him twice by military coups in 1991 and 2004 and banishing Aristide, who now lives in South Africa with his family, from the Americas.

A United Nations army, led by Brazil, still occupies Haiti six years after the coup. Their unstated mission, under the name of “peacekeeping,” is to suppress the popular movement and prevent the return to power of Aristide’s Lavalas Party. One must understand a Wyclef Jean candidacy, first of all, in this context.

Fanmi Lavalas has already been banned from the next round of elections, so enter Wyclef Jean. Jean comes from a prominent Haitian family that has virulently opposed Lavalas since the 1990 elections. His uncle is Raymond Joseph – also a rumored presidential candidate – who became Haitian ambassador to the United States under the coup government and remains so today.

Wyclef Jean also produced the movie, “The Ghosts of Cite Soleil,” an anti-Aristide and Lavalas hit piece, which tells us that President Aristide left voluntarily, without mention of his kidnapping by the U.S. military, and presents the main coup leaders in a favorable light. It features interviews with sweatshop owners Andy Apaid and Charles Henry Baker without telling us they hate Aristide because he raised the minimum wage and sought to give all Haitians a seat at the table by democratizing Haiti’s economy, a program opposed by the rich in Haiti.

full article on http://newamericamedia.org/2010/08/rapper-is-no-friend-of-haiti----wyclef-opposed-aristide.php

------------------------

and its no secret that Aristide came to power and demanded that france and the US repay back the "compensation" Haiti was forced to pay France with US backing, which amounts to $20-30 billion in today's money. next thing we know is the man is overthrown on 'corruption' charges, and kidnapped by the US military.

• Upvote 3