MON's gone.

HangTheDJ

Aston Villa can confirm that Martin O'Neill has resigned as manager of the football club with immediate effect.

Kevin MacDonald, reserve team manager, has assumed the role of caretaker manager and will prepare the team for the opening Barclays Premier League game of the season against West Ham on Saturday at Villa Park.

Paul Faulkner, chief executive of Aston Villa, said: "The club would like to thank Martin for the great work he has done at Aston Villa over the past four years. He has helped to establish the club in the upper echelons of the Premier League, has taken us to Wembley and we have also qualified for European competition for the past three seasons under his management. We wish him the best in the future."

Martin O'Neill said: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club. I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager. I wish them all the best for the future. I will obviously be assisting the club in the immediate short-term with regard to the handover of my duties."

No further comment will be made by either Aston Villa or Martin O'Neill until further notice.

• Upvote 2

Randy lost trust in him. Shorey, Beye, Davies, NRC, Sidwell, Heskey and Harewood barely getting a look in and costing £35million and about 220k a week between them.

Keeping him was just delaying the inveitable but why the f*ck did this not happen at the start of the Summer when we wall expected.

wtf

stab in the dark that maybe the Young to Spurs rumour is true and that he didn't want it to happen?

Dunno, can't see it. Ash said just last week he wants to stay and Randy says every Summer in his one interview each year that Ash and Gabby are unsellable and we won't entertain offers.

It'll be something to do with his lack of control over the Ireland/Milner deal, I reckon.

/

I'm dissapointed, but not gutted. I like the bloke but a new direction won't be the worst thing in the world. Just a shame it didn't happen at the start of the Summer so we couldn't nab Uncle Roy...

Why now makes no sense :S

They knew all these figures at the end of the season

New manager won't settle in straight away

Mark Hughes must be feeling pissed he didn't wait a bit longer

Would have been a good job for Steve Mclaren but maybe 2 seasons to early

Whos the faves to takeover JJ?

No idea. Randy wanted Klinsmann when he first came in but Doug convinced him MON was the man.

I think Klinsmann would be a disaster, personally. But Randy has been the perfect owner thus far, I've total faith he'll get the appointment right, although it might take a while...

Delph done his cruciate in Feb and is out until Christmas.

MON did pretty good for 2.5 seasons. The second half of 08/09 was forgivable considering the circumstances. Last season was poor and lacked ambition.

/

The problem with Villa is we're bigger than most appreciate, mainly because the main media centres being based in London and the North West and East. Our fans are expectant.

The average age of a match-goer in this country is 40. A 40 year old Villa fan will have seen us win the League, European Cup, European Super Cup and a few League Cups in a 6 year period. Then we had Ellis come in, strip us from the top down, relegate us.

Then we came back and almost did it all again at the start of the Premier League but lacked the investment that Man Utd and Blackburn had. We got Townsend instead of Keane, Saunders instead of Shearer for example...

And while Ellis certainly held us back, the majority of our fanbase who've seen us win the lot and get so close again just expected us to float effortlessly to the top as soon as Ellis went. Football isn't like that anymore.

MON did a decent job and I really liked him. But Gregory, Atkinson and Little in my lifetime have been better managers and Taylor just before me. So even people my age are wondering why when we've got the perfect chairman as opposed the devil incarnate that O'Neill is talking about 6th and a shite performance in a cup final as a 'brilliant season'.

Maybe considering the circumstances we should accept that, but it still isn't enough for us to be happy.

• Upvote 4

considering all that, its difficult to gauge what Villa fans should be happy with.

so i suppose a few seasons with no real progress being made is gonna be a little frustrating, but then again it is a long term process, but if you cant see it getting anywhere sometimes it is best to cut your losses early

I'd expect the next appointment to be a bit underwhelming, we're firmly in the brown stuff at the moment.

Long term Randy will get the right bloke in.

Should have gone at the start of the Summer.

/

Martin Jol for the season then re-assess next Summer? IDK. I'm dissapointed but strangely excited.