Wenger Close To Doing The Right Thing

Guest Trollse Hill

Guest Trollse Hill

Wenger's current contract expires at the end of the season but revealed at a press conference prior to Arsenal's first Premier League game of the season at Liverpool that a new deal is on the table.The French coach has revolutionised the north London club since his arrival as a relative unknown in late September 1996, going on to win the domestic double in his first full season.However, since the club moved to their new stadium, Wenger's young side have been unable to supply any more silverware, the last trophy being the 2005 FA Cup. Yet the Gunners boss continues to have faith in both his own ability and that the current crop of talent will finally come of age."I have to show as well how much I believe in this team by showing my commitment," he said. "My situation will be sorted out very soon It is more a question about timing, and all the other ingredients which are in a contract will be easy to short out."I believe my commitment to the club has nothing do with the speculation of how the season would go, because that would be unfair."If I do not do well, and one day the club is not happy with me I can completely understand that I do not stay here anymore. But I believe we will do well."Wenger has set his sights firmly on delivering a first championship since his 'Invincibles' side swept all before them in 2004."What will be success is to improve from last year, which is to win the league - that is the only benchmark," the Gunners boss declared. "You cannot finish third and then say for the season after, you want to finish behind that."We are a young side and the improvement is natural - the ambition is there, we are hungry for success. We know people want more from us and we are ready to give more, but success is to win the league."

• Upvote 1