Arsène Wenger signs contract extension

TF S4DK

gun__1281108157_20100806_wenger_membersday1.jpgArsenal Football Club is today delighted to announce that its most successful manager, Arsène Wenger, has signed a three year extension to his current contract, taking his tenure at the Club to June 2014.Wenger, the longest-serving manager in the Club’s history, is as committed as ever to leading the team in the challenge for trophies at the highest level, as well as continuing to produce the sumptuous football for which Arsenal has become synonymous with during his 14 year reign.Arsène Wenger said: “My heart belongs to Arsenal and my desire is to see this team win silverware.“My commitment and drive are as strong and fresh as ever. Signing a new deal means that I can see this talented group of players reach their potential. Trust me, they are ready to deliver.“With my staff and players we are in front of an exciting challenge and we are looking forward to achieving much success.”Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood stated: “We are thrilled that Arsène has signed an extension to his contract. He has masterfully transformed this football club over the last 14 years and the exciting and compelling football we play under his stewardship is admired the world over.“Arsène is a very talented man and we believe the young, exciting team he has nurtured over the past five years will reward his and the fans’ patience with silverware.”During his time with the Gunners, Wenger has revolutionised the Club not only through the brand of successful football the team plays but also through his detailed and insightful input into the design of the state-of-the-art training centre at London Colney and the layout of the players’ and technical staff areas at Emirates Stadium.Wenger has steered Arsenal to seven major trophies over the last 14 years, including the 2003/2004 Premier League title without losing a single game. In each of his 13 full seasons at Arsenal, the Club has qualified for the UEFA Champions League - Europe’s premier club competition- an achievement matched only by Manchester United and Real Madrid.

Arsène Wenger has signed a new contract with Arsenal.Wenger has already spoken to Arsenal TV Online about his new deal.Arsène, you’ve signed a new contract with Arsenal Football Club, you must be very pleased?"I am very pleased because Arsenal is the Club I love and it is where I want to achieve great things and continue to develop the Club and the team." It’s a massive boost for the Club at the start of the season, getting it done. The players know where they are, there is no talk in the press. It must be a massive boost all round."I feel it’s always important you show your commitment first and when you go into the final year of a contract, it is not manageable if you don’t extend your contract, so that is why I believe it is an important decision at the start of the season, to give stability and to think ahead for the future of the Club as well." You have been here for 14 years and have achieved so much. You have helped the Club through the major upheaval of moving to Emirates Stadium, but you clearly feel there is more for you to do?"I feel that we have not won for a few years now and it is important to get back to winning trophies because we have gone for a certain policy. We maintained the Club at the top level, but we want to get to the next step, to win trophies and to win the title and the Champions League of course. “I believe there are decisive years in front of us, but as well, very exciting years in front of us because the team has matured a lot, there is a lot of potential and that is what I want to show, that we have made the right decisions and that we can win." You say our decisive years are in front of us. Are our greatest successes still in front of us?"I believe so, but we live in an environment which is more and more competitive, which is more and more investment ready and so that means the difficulties are higher as well. But I am convinced as well that we can be rewarded in the coming years and we are prepared for that, we worked very hard for that and my staff and everybody at the Club is convinced we can get it." There is a need to win a trophy, but how does the position you are in now compare with the position you have been in during the rest of your career at Arsenal?"I feel my personal position is that I am as motivated as ever, if not more. I have the trust from my board and hopefully of the fans as well and also from the players. I feel the energy, the need to drive this team forward and to win. “I feel maybe an even higher responsibility than when I arrived because when you arrive somewhere you feel that if you are not good enough, you go. Now I know that the Club is in the top eight in Europe, and that expectation is very high, that every year you want to be in the Champions League. You feel the pressure even more, but it makes it as well more exciting and I take the challenge for the future in a very exciting way. “I know I can give my best years now to this Club, which has given me so much. I’m ready to give it my all and I can only show that by my commitment.”

Chief Executive Ivan Gazidis has spoken to Arsenal TV Online about Wenger's new deal.Ivan, how pleased are you to have secured Arsène Wenger's future at Arsenal?"We are delighted that Arsène has signed a new three-year extension to his current contract that will keep him here for four more seasons. Arsène has defined the modern Arsenal, the progressive style of play that we play. The exciting ball movement and technical players that we have are renowned all around the world, and that is one person's vision - Arsène Wenger brought this to the Club. He is still pushing boundaries and we are looking forward to what he can produce over the next four years." How pivotal is Arsène to that overall vision for this Club?"Modern-day Arsenal really is a reflection of Arsène Wenger's vision and as we look at the way the football world is developing and the way the Club is developing, I think that responsible style of management, his vision of progressive, attacking football is the way football is heading. I think we are very well placed as we look forward over the next four years of his tenure to be at the centre of those developments in football and very well placed to take the Club on to new levels." Arsène said earlier this year that he would open talks about a new contract in the autumn so this is a very pleasant surprise. How important was it to get this deal done before the start of the season?"It wasn't critical for us to get it done before the start of the season. But as I have said before, it has always been our objective to extend Arsène’s contract, and we have been relaxed about the timing of it. But I do think that it is terrific that it is done before the beginning of the season. I think it is a great message to our supporters. It’s also a great message to the players and it gives us real impetus going into the start of the season." Arsène has been here for 14 years of course. Do you sense that his desire is still as strong?"The desire is probably stronger than it has ever been. Arsène is a deeply driven, ambitious individual who is always looking ahead, always looking to what more can be achieved and I know, having spent a lot of time with him over the last 18 months, that it is impossible to imagine a more ambitious or driven person." Two doubles, an unbeaten title season, four FA Cups - Arsène has achieved so much already. What do you think are his key targets now?"Well, the Club has not won a trophy in a number of years and the last few years have been a challenge. We have gone through a significant change as a Club as we have moved from our old stadium at Highbury to the new Emirates Stadium. During that period of time, Arsène has come up with a strategy, which was necessary in the changing football environment where other clubs were spending enormous amounts of money, to develop and grow a talent pool rather than to buy it. That has been the nature of the project over the last four or five years and nevertheless the Club has been competing at the highest level of football during that time and has come close a couple of times. “I know that Arsène shares the frustration of the fans that we haven’t quite got over the line but we do have a very talent young group of players. They are no longer using youth as an excuse, they are now a young group of players who has experience and we believe they are equipped to take the Club over the line. We got very close last year before we had some crippling injuries at the end of the season, which just meant that we ran out of steam. But as we look forward over the next three or four years this is a team which is just going to get better and better, so we are very optimistic." And because Arsène has signed that new deal he must feel the conditions are in place for him to achieve those targets?"I think he feels we have a team which is improving every year. The financial position of the Club is strong and healthy, and as we look forward we also think the world of football is moving towards a more responsible model. We see the UEFA financial fair play initiatives coming in which really reflect the way which Arsenal is already run. “I think that is a sensible way to run the Club; it ensures not just short-term objectives can be met, but it also means the Club will be successful over the long-term and as those changes permeate through the world over the next couple of years, we will be much better placed. We have a young improving squad and also the ability to spend money where necessary and sensibly to supplement that squad." The new season is here, what can Arsène and Arsenal achieve this year?"Our objectives are to win trophies this year, major trophies and obviously the Premier League is foremost among those. That is the objective, it’s as simple as that." Finally Ivan, the transfer window closes in less than three weeks, do you envisage the manager strengthening the squad before then?"As you know, we always try to conduct our business very privately. As Arsène said at the beginning of the window, the business was likely to get done at the beginning or at the end of the window. We secured Marouane Chamakh and Laurent Koscielny early. There may be some more business that happens late if we can find players that add quality and will supplement the squad."

LOL @ anyone that thinks this is a bad thing.What other top flight manager could survive on arsenal's budget?
nonewhich is why if wenger went, they would have to start spending or be exposedhe stays which means we can expect repeats of the last 4/5 seasons for the next 3/4

Emirates Airlines' sponsorship of Arsenal Football Club "will doubtless be renewed" according to Emirates Airlines Group executive vice chairman, Sir Maurice Flanagan.The 15-year deal with the English Premier League (EPL) club, which grants the national airline of Dubai the naming rights to the 60,355 capacity North London stadium as well as sponsorship of Arsenal’s playing shirts, is worth $157 million and described by Sir Maurice Flanagan as being a "fantastic bargain.""Annually it comes to around $8 million (£5.1m). We measure the return on investment in terms of the worldwide value of the television exposure, using well-established criteria, incorporating all our markets. "Arsenal are among the top two or three clubs in the English Premier League. The starting point of our sponsorship of the Arsenal shirt and stadium is that Arsenal are among the top two or three clubs in the English Premier League and so their matches attract world-wide attention."“The coverage which they receive is global, which of course accounts for the Gulf market where their matches are widely viewed. We are very happy with it. For Emirates it is an extremely cost-effective way of maintaining worldwide exposure for brand Emirates,” he added.said on here 2 summers ago about how sh*t our sponshorship deal wasthe old regime were idiotsnow we have gazidis who is well slightly better than

Very good news. The best Manager we've ever had. He's going to leave behind a great legacy with long term stability and hopefully more success to come inregards to trophies.

• 2 weeks later...