Squillaci signs for Arsenal

TF S4DK

gun__1282895369_squillaci1.jpgSquillaci signs for ArsenalArsenal Football Club today made its third signing of the summer, as French international defender, Sebastien Squillaci joins the north London club from Sevilla, on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.Part of the France 2010 World Cup squad, Squillaci (30) is a tall, strong and vastly experienced central defender who has made 36 appearances in the Champions League, Europe's premier club competition, as well as tallying 21 caps for his country.Prior to his time in Spain, Squillaci enjoyed a successful spell in France with Lyon by winning back-to-back Ligue 1 titles in 2007 and 2008. The combative defender was also part of AS Monaco's impressive Champions League campaign in 2004, helping the side reach the Final by beating Real Madrid and Chelsea en route.Sebastien Squillaci said on his arrival at Arsenal: "This is an exciting move for me. Arsène Wenger is a highly respected coach who I am very much looking forward to working with and of course, I know some of the Arsenal players through the national team. Arsenal is recognised as a side that not only plays beautiful football but one that challenges for trophies at the highest level and I am very excited to be joining such a fantastic club."gun__1282895385_squillaci2.jpgArsenal manager, Arsène Wenger added: "Sebastien has many qualities that will add to the strength of our squad. He is quick, hugely experienced with an aggressive edge to his game. His signing will give us some variation at the back as we look to build on last season's campaign and fight for silverware this year."Squillaci will wear the number 18.gun__1282895412_squillaci_interview.jpg

Squillaci’s experience should serve Arsenal well. He is a steady performer and is better equipped for such a challenge than he was six years ago.Rest assured he is definitely not the next Pascal Cygan. But Arsenal fans should not expect him to be another John Terry or Nemanja Vidic either. After all, the days when France used to produce defenders with such a towering presence have long since gone.

• 11 months later...