Why are so many people in their 20s taking so long to grow up?

Supermalt

assuming theirs quite a few of us here i came across this

What is the deal with 20-somethings, these days? That’s the question burning up the Internet and family room tables across the country since Robin Marantz Henig posed it in a mammoth New York Times Magazine article. In the last 30 years, Generation Y (or the Millennials) have pushed back each of the five milestones of adulthood: completing school, leaving home, becoming financially independent, marrying and having a child. We’re not children, not yet adults, but rather in some Britney Spearsesque middle world of psychological development.

a financial whiz kid loses his Wall Street job and moves back home to rural Pennsylvania. A cover of The New Yorker last spring picked up on the zeitgeist: a young man hangs up his new Ph.D. in his boyhood bedroom, the cardboard box at his feet signaling his plans to move back home now that he’s officially overqualified for a job. In the doorway stand his parents, their expressions a mix of resignation, worry, annoyance and perplexity: how exactly did this happen?

It’s happening all over, in all sorts of families, not just young people moving back home but also young people taking longer to reach adulthood overall. It’s a development that predates the current economic doldrums, and no one knows yet what the impact will be — on the prospects of the young men and women; on the parents on whom so many of them depend; on society, built on the expectation of an orderly progression in which kids finish school, grow up, start careers, make a family and eventually retire to live on pensions supported by the next crop of kids who finish school, grow up, start careers, make a family and on and on. The traditional cycle seems to have gone off course, as young people remain un­tethered to romantic partners or to permanent homes, going back to school for lack of better options, traveling, avoiding commitments, competing ferociously for unpaid internships or temporary jobs, forestalling the beginning of adult life.

theres more in the links and although this is an american article i think its relevant here aswell

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/magazine/22Adulthood-t.html

http://www.blackpower.com/lifestyle/whats-really-the-matter-with-20-somethings/

• Downvote 2

Haven't read all of it but there's lots of different reasons. One of them is that people are seeing the generation before them's regrets and trying to avoid having their own so instead of rushing to grow up they're taking their time. One reason is that the importance of qualifications has been drummed into this generation so much that qualifications are losing their importance and better ones are being sought; hence the Ph.D thing. In the UK, another reason is the desire to own their own property is strong in a lot of young people but it's hard to get a mortgage right now and it's hard to save while renting. Plus unemployment's not exactly low and getting jobs isn't exactly easy.

• Upvote 5

Guest Triple XXX

mayne i jus do everything atr my own pace

done the moving out thing, f*cked up on the education but boy some things just arent straight forward

i just go with the flow

life is f*cked

• Upvote 2

I'm 20 and I aint thinking about moving out my mums house, if im over 25 or 28 with full time job, then yes: I want long term relationship with women and have kids: i really want kids: But I need to understand ; I need to have fun in my younger days and get that player stage out of my system; just like alot girls want to get that attention whore stage out of their system, at one point , in their lifes.

lol @ not seeing this article directly coincides with the modern womans mentality

Ol Sarah ' i'd rather be a glamour model, chill out with my girls indulge in whorish behaviour, get a nice car, be a independent female and play the field till my late 20 than get a good job, find a good man, have kids and settle down' Smith

Women have always been the determing factor in what this article is talking about. A good woman with her priorites right and head on her shoulders will find a man and she will mature him and turn him into a complete man. If women want to do this whole new 21st century woman thing and leave it later to do the settling then the effect ripples.

lol @ ever seeing women falling out of clubs 40/50 years ago and it being the norm.

• Downvote 1

so true

i think it's because the uk is an easy country to live in, and most people aren't burdened with responsibilites at a young age like many people around the world are. places in africa, eurasia etc. are much tougher and there's no welfare state as a fall back, so people have to grow up very quickly

i think military service like a lot of countries have (israel, switzerland, germany etc.) is also a good way of taking 18 year old boys and producing 21 year old men, whereas in this country there are males who are like 26 and still couldn't be described as a man, they're still kids with very little life experience. how can i see guys who look like 28-30 still walking aroud in skinny jeans with stupid facial hair and caps on. it's ridiculous. grow the f*ck up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Kiss my ass about military service, yeah we should be forced to go into countries and rape their resources to make men of us?

wtf are you talking about. pls explain exactly how afghanistan's resources are being "raped"

but ignoring your being a stupid f*ck*ng prick, are you aware that there is a whole load of training that people do in the army - learning how to work as a team, learning mental strength and discipline (skills a LOT of peolpe don't have), learning how to be self-sufficient etc. stuff that you don't experience spending your life in an office. you're not just given a gun and sent to afghanistan

i'm not saying it's for everyone i wouldn't want to join the british army voluntarily, but it would make you grow up, whether you would want to do it or not is a different issue

that's just my opinion anyway. i'm not asking for you to get emotional about it and post wikipedia links to bad things that people in the us army have done

1. we're the UK, you know what we do

2. you decided to argue using Switzerland instead of Germany and Israel 'cause you knew that was the only one you could get away with arguing for

not sure what you're tlaking about bro

maybe you should google "countries with conscription". by what you're saying you might be surprised how lucky you are to live in a country that doesn't have it

i want you to go through these one by one and tell me who's raping who's resources and how cheres

Conscription_map_of_the_world.jpg

red is comulsory military service, orange is something else

anyway dunno why i'm coming across as some military loving guy here cos i'm not. i just posted some musings i had at the time