Stephen Hawking: "God did not create the Universe"

Guest WAVESURFER

Guest WAVESURFER

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100902/lf_nm_life/us_britain_hawking

LONDON (Reuters) – God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.

In "The Grand Design," co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, Hawking says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant, according to the Times newspaper which published extracts on Thursday.

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."

QvFbM.png

"THERE IS NO GOD"

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing

can someone explain how this statement is true

Everything will always need a begenning, because if we were to saying so and so came from this, we would need to explain were that so called subject came from which will just lead to a discussion lasting an infinity.

Its like drawing a circle, it has a starting point yet it looks like it goes on and on without any proof of its origin.

Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing

Everything will always need a begenning, because if we were to saying so and so came from this, we would need to explain were that so called subject came from which will just lead to a discussion lasting an infinity.

Its like drawing a circle, it has a starting point yet it looks like it goes on and on without any proof of its origin.

that sounds like making convenient stuff up to me,but lets not get into it

YEH BUT SUM1 DREEEEW THE CIRCLE DIDNT THEY

/THEOLOGY

• Upvote 2

Humans like to pretend to know everything too much. The "laws" of physics are WRONG. They are not laws. According to these "laws" a bee cannot fly. But I see bees fly on a regular basis. So do you. So what does that tell us? The laws are wrong!

Thoughout history human beings have assumed that the deductions they've made with the information they have had have been correct. Then they get more information and realise what they said before was wrong and make new deductions and say they're correct. Then it happens again. When will we accept that we don't know it all?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Guest Esquilax

Humans like to pretend to know everything too much. The "laws" of physics are WRONG. They are not laws. According to these "laws" a bee cannot fly. But I see bees fly on a regular basis. So do you. So what does that tell us? The laws are wrong!

Thoughout history human beings have assumed that the deductions they've made with the information they have had have been correct. Then they get more information and realise what they said before was wrong and make new deductions and say they're correct. Then it happens again. When will we accept that we don't know it all?

You're right man, you're f*ck*ng right.

We're never gonna know anything really, so why don't we just put all our faith in God and just get on with it eh?

I mean, come on.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

He's just pissed coz he's crippled

lol too easy

i think based on the actual physics he does have a legitimate arguement, but the thing with these theories (so far anyways) is they answer one question but raise another...

i.e. M-theory says our universe is a result of the interaction of some 11-dimensional membranes and there are lots of parallel universes along these membranes (something like that anyways)....

but then what created the membranes? can u just answer it away as them being infinite in existence?...

as its all highly mathematical and extremely beyond our abilities to physically manipulate, there isnt a way in which we can gain solid proof (at this point in time anyways)...

so its just going in a never ending circle of questions and answers and theories which cant be absolutely prooved are basically nothing more then slightly logical philosphies. it becomes quite subjective as to how much faith you put into science, and obviously being raised in the day and age we are in and being an academic of his level its no suprise that stephen hawkings will lean towards accepting scientific theory as immediate facts. that said tho he definately has been through experiences which lead him to do so.....the main case which comes into mind is the existence of black holes; being completely mathematical theory and fictitious at one point and then proven with evidence the next.

more to the point on this whole thing tho is that when it comes to any philosphy and a subject as touchy as religion, there is no way you can pin it down and disprove it, simply because its so easily externalised and distanced (e.g. he says God didnt create the big bang/universe and strings/membranes did, but then God created those says the religious person etc etc). its a pyscological issue that humans have, the neccessity to envision a higher power/balance to help fill a void in the world; it props people up. on that note i dont think his arguement is neccesary. as amazing as it is the level to which we understand the universe, i think its very ambitious to assume that we know ALL the workings of the universe/multiverse and pretty audacious to say that we can proove without doubt that there is no God. we need to be a bit more humble then that, after all our civilisation has only been around for a few thousand years. less then the blink of an eye on a cosmic scale.

in short, we dont really know and i doubt we will ever know.

• Upvote 5

LOL. laws of physics arent wrong mate, i dont think you would be able to do anything let alone type that if they were wrong....

BUT, you do have a point about how its all being percieved by humans. we do take it all for granted and just assume because we have prooven stuff within our models that it must be absolutely true...

really the whole subject of physics is a HUMAN creation which is an attempt to rationalise, define and manipulate the limitations within this universe; its based on our perception and understanding, if a different intelligent civilisation exists they may not view it in the same way as us at all. being constrained to human intepretation then, our "model" of the workings of the universe may actually be limited and unable to explain somethings. this was definately the case before quantum physics was considered and it still may be the case concerning other subjects, who knows. in the end we shouldn't assume our intelligence is absolute, because the universe wasn't designed for us according to our laws, we were created out of it and its own properties.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i reckon the media has taken it a bit out of context still.

i mentioned this to my parents and the first thing they said is "God made him disabled and not able to speak to tell him to shut up"...lol thats so deep. in all seriousness i dont think people should attack his disability, its not something he chose nor isit the root of his thinking.

LOL @ u guys disregarding his theorys from the get go because he is disabled...

Einstein said that "the word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish."

"For me," he added, "the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions."