Free Buju Banton

scared of who?

According to an Associated Press report, attorneys for the United States government claim Buju Banton was an established drug trafficker before the singer allegedly tried to buy cocaine from an undercover officer in Florida last year.

These arguments were made as the trial against the singer began yesterday.

"Do you have any contacts where I can get cocaine?" Banton asked a government informant, Alexander Johnson, in a recorded conversation, Assistant US Attorney James Preston told a jury in Tampa federal court.

Preston alleges Banton was looking for "more, new and different money through a new conspiracy he was shopping for", in addition to drug deals he already had funded.

Banton, 37, whose real name is Mark Myrie, has been held without bail since his arrest in December on charges of conspiring to distribute cocaine and carrying a firearm during the course of a drug-trafficking crime.

The four-time Grammy nominee faces a possible life sentence if convicted.

Banton's attorney, David Markus, has insisted his client did not participate in any conspiracy to sell cocaine, even if he did talk with the informant about drug deals.

"Yes, Buju talked a lot," Markus said in opening statements. "Yes, he tasted that cocaine. No, he wasn't a drug dealer. He wasn't part of the deal."

Markus said Banton will testify in his trial.

"He's got nothing to hide," Markus said. "The truth is on his side in this case, because he didn't do anything."

Banton and an associate allegedly negotiated with an informant to buy the cocaine. Along with a third man, they reportedly met with an undercover officer in Sarasota, in early December, to buy the drugs. The informant told Drug Enforcement Administration agents that he also saw the singer inspecting the cocaine, tasting the drugs with his finger.

The December 8 meeting was captured on video.

The two co-defendants have pleaded guilty and have agreed to testify against Banton.

Banton, using his finger to taste the cocaine in the Sarasota warehouse, in December, was "the worst mistake of his life," Markus is quoted as telling the jury in the AP report.

He will try to prove that Banton was a victim of entrapment.

Use this thread to post tunes, trial updates, conspiracy theories etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U23fM3Vh5Fk

Entrapment.

I dont know how the police over there get away with it. Similar to how TI got busted IIRC?

Feds set him up and his boy snitched on him.

Dont hear about stuff like that so much over here but I wouldnt be surprised if it happens.

Entrapment isn't as simple and obvious as you seem to think,

If he approaches a police officer and attempts to purchase cocaine, that's not entrapment. Even if they approached him, that doesn't have to mean it's entrapment.

Entrapment.

I dont know how the police over there get away with it. Similar to how TI got busted IIRC?

Feds set him up and his boy snitched on him.

Dont hear about stuff like that so much over here but I wouldnt be surprised if it happens.

Entrapment isn't as simple and obvious as you seem to think,

If he approaches a police officer and attempts to purchase cocaine, that's not entrapment. Even if they approached him, that doesn't have to mean it's entrapment.

Correct, I never looked it up before commenting.

From entrapment wikipedia. These conditions must be met:

1. The idea for committing the crime came from the government agents and not from the person accused of the crime 2. Government agents then persuaded or talked the person into committing the crime. Simply giving him the opportunity to commit the crime is not the same as persuading him to commit the crime

3. The person was not ready and willing to commit the crime before the government agents spoke with him

He was drunk a lot of the time.

I think he may get off. Snitch cant nail him on this case and says no money was invested in the deal Thomas and Mack were busted in. Buju's on cam tasting coke (disgraceful!), but that doesnt mean he had intention to sell. The day he tasted the coke he was under the impression he was going to see a boat. No money exchanged in any deal.

"Didn't Ian Thomas tell you, 'He [Myrie] does not want to do anything man? Talk to me. That's not him. He is about music, he eats and sleeps the music'?" Markus asked, to which Johnson replied 'yes'.

"Mr Myrie did not invest any money in any drug deal?"

Markus asked.

"With me? No," the reply came.

His lawyer said, he's guilty of talking a lot, tasting a lot, but he isn't guilty of dealing.

But I think its a conspiracy to distribute so boy, who knows. He's stupid, tell you that much. I think he was baited, but he f*cked up. Simple

Guest Triple XXX

dude was prob high or sutin

n these prosecuters are clutchin at straws

cnt catch the big guys so they find these lil dudes that dnt even seem to know waht theyre doin n try put them up for life to make it seem like theyre actually doing something

f*ck boys

• 7 years later...
  • 5 months later...

This is a madness to be honest. Artists moving like dons. 

Buju got dissed by a disaffected musician who used to par with him, a guy who is rumoured to have been passed a coke spliff by Buju to light on a separate occasion...Beef is squashed but Buju puts out a hit through Gillie Priest (the former Skateland badman gateman) and his son.

Image result for gilly priest

^ pic courtesy of Afflicted Yard.

This artist is rumour to have been murdered, with people openly knowing who ordered it. Gillie and his son are killed in separate shootings and Buju flees to Miami. Cue the 'Driver' era and the downhill slope towards:

Ahhhhh bwoy.

Thing is when you check it out there is nuff, nuff cokehead Jamaican artists. No direspect to the packet-heads on here, but cocaine mashed up Jamaica differently and there's nuff artists who got caught up, Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, Tiger, Ninjaman, Baby Wayne, even Bob Marley is supposed to have started sniffing 

Also a trend of artists becoming dons. @Restrictive you following this or the Beenie/Bogle stuff? I've heard the rumours for years, but it'd a deep one when you check it out.