Official Betting Thread

serpent

Jersey Stakes 2.30 Royal Ascot Group 3 (3 y o) 7 furlongs

Garswood comes into the race as the favourite due to winning a 7f listed race in which he beat some ok horses, none of them really group contenders. Never got involved in the 2000 Guineas over an extra furlong and now drops back in trip. Should be thereabouts but not for me, too many other contenders in this not least the french contingent, headed by Mutin an improver who has won his 4 starts so far, beating San Marino Grey twice by less than a length, a horse who went on to finish a length 2nd to Anodin in a G3 race in France, therefore hes entitled to be up to this level.

There are a few interesting french formlines, although over a mile, the Group 1 Poule desai de Poulains featured a few of these, Pearl Flute finished 14th, Gale Force Ten finished 4th, which is probably the best single piece of form going in this race. Anodin finished 7th in the race, so for me that puts Gale Force Ten ahead of Mutin for this race, given that OBrien will probly have him fired up for this one. Third in that race was Intello, one of the best horses of this current generation, who was unlucky in this race but went on to win a Group 1 race over 11f in impressive fashion. Quite clearly a versatile class horse, he can be taken as a benchmark of quality form over a range of distances. Gale Force Tens finish in close proximity to Intello is a huge positive.

However the winner of that race was Style Vendome, a horse who has form tying in with a few of these. His 3 previous races had been over todays trip of 7f. In one of these he beat San Marino Grey by about 3 lengths. To me this equates to beating Mutin by roughly the same distance, give a length for improvement on Mutins behalf, so 2 lengths. In Style Vendomes next race he beat The Brothers War by 1 3/4 lengths in a listed race. Complimentor was in between the pair, and The Brothers War went on to beat Complimentor by 1 3/4 lengths in a listed race over 6f. Had that race been over 7f i would be very excited about The Brothers Wars chances today, but as it stands its not a big deal either way. The race with Style Vendome puts The Brothers War bang there with Mutin and at a bigger price. The stables second string, he has Olivier Peslier on board, about which my opinion is neutral.

Hes been a consistent performer so far against some decent rivals and the other reason he interests me is because he is a son of War Front, a sire who has had two winners at Royal Ascot already in the shape of War Command and Declaration of War. Im going to interpret this as War Fronts progeny are feeling Ascot right now and im happy to back The Brothers War at 14/1 e/w. I believe Gale Force Ten and Mutin can also be involved and i will also be supporting those, and this is the tricast for me. Mutin and Gale Force Ten can go in a reverse Forecast.

Good write up mate, managed to read it at lunch earlier :Y:

I say designate 6 guys a race each to look at and pick one out like that. I've not looked at them yet but I think we can see my picks this week have been f*cking useless apart from me getting on the last at todays Ascot.

It's not that your useless mate its that every race needs a different perspective.

I can tell you, from personal experience, that if you go into a Gr.2 over 5f with the same form method as a 0-70 over 8f you'll forever be a loser in the betting sense and it took me a while to adapt as well as learn.

I'm not sure whether you guys record your bets (I don't) but if you know what sort of races you perform better in then it's important that we know so you can go into studying the right races.

Yea I'm not really clued up to know what to be looking for but I will go out my way to check the trends, previous ratings, TS and RPR etc. Sometimes I think that just fucks me up though and puts me off original choices I make. Plus compared to how I followed the racing a few years back in Black Jack days etc I'm very out of touch with the runners now.