Students face unlimited fees

Mr Q

Universities should be allowed to decide what they charge students under a radical shakeup of higher education which would see the existing cap on tuition fees lifted.

A new system of financing universities will allow for a 10% increase in student places to meet rising demand for a degree-level education, the Browne review proposes.

Graduates will start repaying the cost of their degrees when they start earning £21,000 a year, up from £15,000 under the current system, the review recommends.

A tapered levy on institutions charging more than £6,000 per year will ensure those that charge the most contribute more to supporting the poorest students. Universities that wish to charge more will be required to demonstrate improved standards of teaching and fair admission.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/oct/12/browne-review-universities-set-fees

And guess what, Clegg and Cable agree with this sh*t!!

20100907_nus_photo_w.jpg

Utter toss pot.

How on earth is this the best way to fix "broken Britain", ostracizing people from less well off backgrounds is only going to further the problems of the country. How will it even bring economic growth?!

Well, back to the days where university was for a certain group of people.

I actually cannot stand these bastards, I hope the lib dem party never sees another day after the next election.

Guest Awesome Kong

Utter bull sh*t.

This wont effect me until my children are at an age where they will go uni. They take the f*ck*ng piss! How can this happen, from university being a free education to being 6/7 grand a year?

f*ckED!

/

Lib Dems gonna be f*cked in the next election.

Not overly opposed to this tbh.

We've had it incredibly cheap in this country for a world class education. It's not sustainable.

Student loans also rise proportionately.

University is not meant for everyone.

/

Nick Clegg is a c*nt.

Edit:

Justin GTFO about whining that University should be free.

You c*nt.

Seems fair to me.

Universities choose what to charge and there will be more opportunity for more people to go to university with a 10% increase, where is your point?

this plus why should the taxpayer have to pay for the thousands of retards who spend 3 years at leeds met. binge drinking and then end up working in call centres/unemployed at the end anyway

people are gonna have to get more serious/realistic about why they are going to uni now

Guest Awesome Kong

You c*nt.

You come like a little girl who's had her first period and seems emotionally unstable.

Why shouldn't education be free? Explain that instead of being a little girl you twat!

• Downvote 1

You c*nt.

You come like a little girl who's had her first period and seems emotionally unstable.

Why shouldn't education be free? Explain that instead of being a little girl you twat!

you sound like a 6 year old child

who's going to pay the teachers? who's going to pay for the libraries ot be run? who's going to pay for all the facilities students use?

do you think they just get magicked out of thin air?

somebody IS paying for your educatino as it is retard, how could it possibly be "free". all this does is shift the bill from the taxpayer to the person who's actually benefiting/making use of the education - students

You c*nt.

lmfao what?!

Why should something which is going to exponentially increase your earning power and benefit YOU be free at the expense of the taxpayer/everyone else. How do you think this will be funded?

Guest Awesome Kong

TBH, I don't mind paying more tax to support people aiming to do something with their lives tbh. Even without the fees, students still went into debt with their living costs. But now, the debt is higher with the addition of the fees.

This unlimited sh*t is waste, so Oxbridge gonna charge ott prices when there could be people who are ultra smart who are not wealthy but get straight A*s but can't afford the fees there, even with financial help & grants? That ok yeah?

Anyway, the f*ck*ng foreign students pay lots anyway and there are lots of them about in universities.

BUT I do feel that their should be certain courses that should drop the fees, depending on the requirements the country needs in that moment in time.

Guest Awesome Kong

You c*nt.

lmfao what?!

Why should something which is going to exponentially increase your earning power and benefit YOU be free at the expense of the taxpayer/everyone else. How do you think this will be funded?

So we shouldn't pay for GCSEs and A-Levels or B-TECs or HNDs or NVQs etc etc because they will increase your earning power and benefit YOU whilst at the expense of the taxpayer/everyone else. Makes no f*ck*ng sense. How do you think they will be funded?

Seems fair to me.

Universities choose what to charge and there will be more opportunity for more people to go to university with a 10% increase, where is your point?

this plus why should the taxpayer have to pay for the thousands of retards who spend 3 years at leeds met. binge drinking and then end up working in call centres/unemployed at the end anyway

people are gonna have to get more serious/realistic about why they are going to uni now

LOL, you think people who go to Oxford/Cambridge/Warwick etc don't do the most retarded sh*t when out drunk?!?

These fees aren't based on how hard you work, they cut people off before they even get there.

If you are from a poor family, you aren't thinking long term that going to uni to be saddled with this debt is a good thing. You are going to think short term, and believe leaving education earlier is the only real option for you.

That or, the poorest go to the cheapest uni's, the richest go to the best, and society is cut neatly into little groups.

How does that fix Britain's broken society?

/

Life is unfair, so people should just deal with it, great attitude. :confused:

• Upvote 7

Guest Awesome Kong

GCSE's are compulsory you f*ck*ng moron.

What you choose to do with your life after 16 is your choice.

But why shouldn't compulsory education end at SATs or be a choice, which the parents pay for? Your logic is stupid.

Life is unfair.

Try making the most elite universities accessible to all and see what happens to the best lecturers, professors, and standards.

(FAO Angelo) So you're saying if your rich then you have the right to go Oxbridge, yeah? Not if you are making straight A*?

No.

Let me elaborate for you.

Low fees = budget constraints and less endowment for a university.

Less endowment = less purchasing power and ability to allocate funds where they are needed, i.e. LECTURERS/RESEARCH/INFRASTRUCTURE

=

You get what you pay for. You cannot expect elite institutions with world class standards to charge the same as your ex polytechnic. You're living in a fantasy world if you think this.

Seems fair to me.

LOL, you think people who go to Oxford/Cambridge/Warwick etc don't do the most retarded sh*t when out drunk?!?

These fees aren't based on how hard you work, they cut people off before they even get there.

If you are from a poor family, you aren't thinking long term that going to uni to be saddled with this debt is a good thing. You are going to think short term, and believe leaving education earlier is the only real option for you.

That or, the poorest go to the cheapest uni's, the richest go to the best, and society is cut neatly into little groups.

How does that fix Britain's broken society?

/

Life is unfair, so people should just deal with it, great attitude. :confused:

I don't really care what people do when they drink, my point was more that spending 3 years studying media at thames valley isn't really a productive use of time in most cases, and why should people's income tax go towards funding what is basically a 3 year holiday for a lot of people.

Nobody is saying this is a perfect solution. But it's also not fair to expect taxpayers to pay for people to go to uni who quite frankly shouldn't be going.

They should introduce a scholarship system, like in America, so people from less well off backgrounds who are academically (or otherwise) gifted get partial/full scholarpships plus grants.

• Upvote 2

People complaining about the strain on the tax payer as if their weren't other options for them to recoup substantial amounts. If you can't see that pretty much all the cuts introduced by the Tories so far pander to the better off in society I don't know what to say to you.

Cameron should come out to the next conference playing Get Rich or Die Tryin because it's pretty obvious to me that's his approach to fixing 'Broken Britain'.

Survival of the fittest.

• Upvote 2

And who the hell are you or anyone else to say people shouldn't be going to university?!?! (@Yuri)

From when there were girls in my A-level english lit. class at school who couldn't use too/to and they're/their/there properly who went to university, I'm saying that there are some people who shouldn't be there...AT THE EXPENSE OF THE TAXPAYER.

Guest Awesome Kong

People complaining about the strain on the tax payer as if their weren't other options for them to recoup substantial amounts. If you can't see that pretty much all the cuts introduced by the Tories so far pander to the better off in society I don't know what to say to you.

Cameron should come out to the next conference playing Get Rich or Die Tryin because it's pretty obvious to me that's his approach to fixing 'Broken Britain'.

Survival of the fittest.

THIS!!!

/

Its not about the academic elitist, it's about the financial elitist.