Who needs qualifications?!

Bardissimo

College offers £5,000 for failing exam

Exam hall (file image) Schools are increasingly using cash or gift incentives to encourage good behaviour or exam results

A Lancashire college is so confident that its students will pass their A-levels that it is offering £5,000 for anyone who fails.

Blackburn College says it wants to send a message to parents and young people that they will succeed if they study A-levels there.

The cash promise will depend on pupils attending lessons and keeping up with coursework.

The college says it does not envisage paying out to any pupils.

Blackburn College, which has about 15,000 students, says it wants to use the £5,000 offer as a way to boost the confidence of anyone thinking about starting an A-level course.

Paying by results

A spokeswoman said it was a way of telling potential students that if they work hard they will be able to get A-levels, which will help them get a job or university place.

If there are payments, the college says it will not come from taxpayers but from its commercial operations.

"Our track record of ensuring exam success for committed students is so successful that we are prepared to make this pledge," says the college's principal, Ian Clinton.

"We are happy to make a deal with our students. If you back us, trust us and work hard then we will do everything in our power to help you get you the results you deserve."

This year the pass rate of pupils getting at least an E grade was 98.9%.

There are also conditions so that the offer only applies to "diligent" pupils who are taking three A-levels - including attending 95% of lessons, meeting targets and handing in all work on time.

It is the latest example of cash or gift incentives being used in schools - either to encourage good behaviour or to discourage bad.

Last week, Marlowe Academy in Thanet said it would offer a £150 reward to 16-year-old pupils who met the school's attendance target and passed a minimum of five exams.

Under the scheme, the children can build up points on a loyalty card to spend later on goods in a catalogue.

They cannot be serious...

What's you lot's take on this money from establishments for doing what is required?

Guest Esquilax

Sending COMPLETELY the wrong message

Raised tuition fees but schools are using their budgets to give 5 f*ck*ng grand to people who fail?

When did academia become about money and not education?

Jesus

Just as bad as EMA I don't care.

Some bullshit

If students want to learn then they will learn

End of

Guest Esquilax

Literally everyone I knew who had or has EMA spent it on chicken or shoes

EVERYONE

If you lot hung with guys who bought pencil cases and textbooks then fine that's cool

Otherwise it's just another desperate attempt to give the illusion of responsibility but doesn't work because it's money you have not earned

And at such an impressionable age I don't think that's a good thing

Especially when you're spending it on chicken and shoes

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Guest Esquilax

:lol:

Look, everyone needs chicken and shoes don't get me wrong

But EMA is not there to buy chicken and shoes, it's to maintain your education (whatever the f*ck that means).

• Downvote 1

Guest Triple XXX

lol i never ONCE got EMA

there was always a day i turned up late or just didnt show up

really coulda used that chicken still

but this, i dunno man certain failures will go there just to get the 5 bags

Guest Esquilax

EMA was to cover basic living costs and if Chicken doesn't come under basic living costs then tell me what does?

How much is it these days, was £30 when I was at college has it gone up?

I understand that, but it was given to people who did not need it.

Paying people not to go to work? Not the message I think should be given IMO

Obv some on here will have bias because they received it and enjoyed their college experience more as a result, and I appreciate that. But I still fundamentally disagree with it.

Guest Esquilax

Who wouldn't flop for 5grand?

I would

I'm fiending for a new computer right now, saved up about £150 of the eventualy £1000 it's gonna cost

Could easily just get it with failing an exam and STILL have 4000 left over LOL

This is a f*ck*ng joke