Man leaves home for a week so it can be decorated and 15 squatters move in

Vertigo

In the middle of completely refurbishing his five-bedroom house, Connan Gupta felt he deserved a week off.

It is a decision he is now regretting because 15 squatters took advantage of his short absence to occupy the £700,000 property.

The jobless Italians changed the locks and have taken up residence along with their three dogs and two cats.

article-1322246-0BAEDD9A000005DC-112_634x1091.jpg

They claim the fact they cannot afford to rent gives them the right to take over the Victorian property in Camberwell, South-East London.

Police are powerless to intervene because squatting is a civil rather than criminal offence.

Mr Gupta, a 40-year-old hotelier, has been forced to seek alternative accommodation and instruct a solicitor to have the intruders evicted.

He left the house on October 10 for his week off and returned on Monday to find he couldn’t open the door. A squatter’s rights notice was posted in a window.

article-1322246-0BAEDF0E000005DC-564_634x465.jpg

This is just ridiculous,’ he said. ‘Everything’s in there. All my worldly possessions, clothes, valuables, and medication I need for a skin condition. It is hellish. I always triple-lock the house and when I went away I made sure everything was locked.

‘It is really scary that you can go on holiday and come back and your house has been taken. I’m profoundly shocked that this can happen.

‘I tried to open the door and found the locks had been changed. Then I saw the note, and banged on the door saying I was the owner and a voice inside said “Just go away”.

‘I just have to sit here and wait. It’s as if the squatters have more rights than I do.’

article-1322246-0BB20D46000005DC-819_634x370.jpg

‘When the owner came on Monday in the morning we told him we were squatting, and he was really aggressive.

‘We’ll go if the court tells us to but until then we’re staying. If he wants his things he’ll have to wait. If I find a job then I’ll start paying rent like a normal person.’

They have turned the front room into a sixth bedroom and are using Mr Gupta’s wardrobes to store their clothes. They are also making use of his three leather sofas, sauna, hundreds of DVDs and television.

An eviction hearing is expected to be held in the next two weeks.

What would you do if you came back home from holiday and people had moved into your yard? And you Know the police won't and can't do sh*t.

ARE YOU f*ck*ng SERIOUS?!

THIS IS MAKING ME FURIOUS.

POLICE CAN'T DO ANYTHING IF A BUNCH OF PEOPLE STEAL YOUR HOUSE?!

THIS COUNTRY CAN SUCK A d*ck, IF I WAS HIM I WOULD BUY A LENG AND GET TO LENGING.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

prime example of how f*ck*ng stupid this country is tbh

police are powerless yh? at the very least they should be able to do them for breaking and entering or since they're using his stuff, handling stolen property?.... since the law is so powerless they need to go to being petty with this sh*t

if this happened to a politician u can guarantee armed police would be on site immediately to restore the natural order

mans got p, it should be nothing for him to go hire couple goons if he doesn't kno any personally

@ whoever said italian cunts... dont blame them, they're just workin a ridiculously broken system... its these stupid british cunts who make the laws that are the problem

LOL

Them laughing out the window and potentially using my stuff would = buying some sort of weapon from a hardware store, getting some mates, smashing a window and removing them.

What criminal offence is it to scare the sh*t out of squatters so they move? Pretty sure breaking into your own house isn't an offence.

LOL

Them laughing out the window and potentially using my stuff would = buying some sort of weapon from a hardware store, getting some mates, smashing a window and removing them.

What criminal offence is it to scare the sh*t out of squatters so they move? Pretty sure breaking into your own house isn't an offence.

revenge is a serious criminial offence

also threatening behaviour

when all 15 of them start fighting back, it will quickly turn to gbh

i bet they will change this squatting business to a criminal offence in the near future, this is happening to much