FIFA Ballon D'or

Guest Portuguese

Very disappointed Xavi didn't win it.

The pros that vote don't know what they're doing most of the time so doesn't even surprise me.

Your acting like them voting for Messi is dubious lol, he has been better than Xavi for me.

If i had to choose Sneijder would win it for me though, but for some reason he didn't even make the top 3.

:/

Xavi IMO, embodied what winning these awards are about. Individual brilliance combined with team success. In that respect, he deserves it more than Messi & Iniesta. Guy RUNS Barcelona & Spain. He's the best playmaker of our generation second only to say, Zidane & will go down as probably the best TBH.

Plus, he isn't getting any older so it's a shame.

Yeah i hear you on 2nd thought i wouldn't of mind Xavi winning it since he performed with both club and country like Sneijder.

But xavi the best playmaker of our generation after Zidane? thats a bit much.

It really isn't.

Only playmaker who comes close to RUNNING a football match to the insane level Xavi does IMO is Riquelme & Zidane & even he didn't do it to Xavi's level even though Riquelme's arguably a more talented player.

Xavi will go down as a top 3 selected playmakers ever...

And what about Totti, Pirlo, Del Piero, Rui Costa and even Ronaldinho(who i would consider a playmaker also)

It really isn't.

Only playmaker who comes close to RUNNING a football match to the insane level Xavi does IMO is Riquelme & Zidane & even he didn't do it to Xavi's level even though Riquelme's arguably a more talented player.

And what about Totti, Pirlo, Del Piero, Rui Costa and even Ronaldinho(who i would consider a playmaker also)

No. NO. Just NO.

Guest Klitschko

Totti, while excelling in the role of the withdrawn forward like perhaps no other player, was notorious for not performing on the big stage internationally, something that can't be said about Xavi.

However I agree with Portuguese, you can't really compare deep lying playmakers with number 10's.

It really isn't.

No. NO. Just NO.

Why no all of them in their prime were great players, i would throw Hagi in the mix as well.

Totti, while excelling in the role of the withdrawn forward like perhaps no other player, was notorious for not performing on the big stage internationally, something that can't be said about Xavi.

However I agree with Portuguese, you can't really compare deep lying playmakers with number 10's.

Playmaker is more of a state of mind to me, and Totti excelled in Euro 2000 did he not?

Playmaker is more of a state of mind to me, and Totti excelled in Euro 2000 did he not?

The Euro 2000 which Zidane dominated?

Nah, bar the final, Totti wasn't THAT guy.

Guest Klitschko

Oh yeah he will no doubt, it's only a shame that due to the Premier League, he didn't really get the recognition he deserved untill about 3 years ago, people still considered the likes of Lampard & Gerrard superior to him.

Though yes, due to the Spanish national teams use of two holding players, Xabi Alonso and Sergio Busquets, Xavi played higher up the pitch than he usually would at club level, though he still performed superbly, its worth noting he did not seem as comfortable in the role as he does when he plays deeper, where he can have more of an effect on the game.

Though Busquets role as a sweeper effectively allowed Xavi to drop into his usual position in deep midfield, alongside Alonso.

The Euro 2000 which Zidane dominated?

Nah, bar the final, Totti wasn't THAT guy.

Lol Totti was that guy, which is why he was named in the team of the tournament, Totti was sick in the qauters as well and of course the final as you mentioned, he was also good in the 2006 World cup.

@Che Clark, no-one you mentioned has matched Xavi's consistency TBH or quality bar Ronaldinho.

What?

Ruis Costa had been consistent for as long as Xavi, remember that players like Totti and Rui Costa peaked before Xavi. Both players have been sick since the early to mid 90's and feel off in the mid 00's while , Xavi came to prominence in the early to mid 00's. Lets not let how there respective careers are now cloud our judgement, because Ruii Costa, Totti, at their peak were incredible players, and were shining when Xavi was just first coming to prominence. Rui Costa at Fiorentina was a player that actually rivalled Zidane.

Guest Klitschko

And in 2006 he performed pretty well, up until the final, especialyl considering he had metal plates in his ankle, though the consensus has been when he has come up against the top teams, he hasn't 'unlocked the doors', or has become petulant. Infact he had a similar reputation to that of Cristiano Ronaldo internationally, though I'd say neither were fairly branded.

However, Totti has never dominated a tournament, internationally, or indeed on the European stage, as Xavi Hernandez has.