NASA planning one-way mission to colonise Mars

Mr. Gayle

Mars

View taken during the night of 23-24 August 2003 by the observatory at Cap ...

London: This NASA mission will boldly go where no man has gone before - to Mars. But then do forget about coming back to the Earth.

NASA is investigating the possibility of humans colonising other worlds such as the Red Planet in an ambitious project named the Hundred Years Starship.

The settlers would be sent supplies from the Earth, but would go on the understanding that it would be too costly or too time-consuming for them to make the return trip.

NASA Ames Centre director Pete Worden revealed that the centre has received one million pounds' funding to start work on the project, the Daily Mail reported.

The research team has also received an additional 100,000 pounds from NASA.

'You heard it here,' Worden said at 'Long Conversation', an event in San Francisco in the US. 'We also hope to inveigle some billionaires to form a Hundred Year Starship fund.'

Worden said he has discussed the potential price tag for one-way trips to Mars with Google co-founder Larry Page, telling him that such a mission could be done for $10 billion.

'His response was, 'Can you get it down to $1 [billion] or $2billion?' So now we're starting to get a little argument over the price,' Worden said.

The most recent unmanned mission to Mars was Nasa's Phoenix lander, which was launched in August 2007 and landed on the planet's north polar cap in May the following year.

Experts said a nuclear-fuelled rocket could shorten the journey to about four months.

Of all the planets in the solar system, Mars is the most likely to have substantial quantities of water, making it the best bet for sustaining life.

Worden claims that humans could be on Mars' moons by 2030.

Mars is half the size of Earth, has two polar ice caps and has similar seasons to our planet. The Martian day is only 41 minutes longer than the day on Earth.

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

i dont see this happening soon tbh

all good them innovating

but nothing major will happen while im still alive

so for now i dnt really care, kind of a waste of time

im not goin anywhere

Earth has too much to offer

/

imagine if it was a trick, an no one went to mars

an experiement

Small minded, the Earth is a grain of sand in the Solar system

it is indeed

but im not going on a mission to colonize mars, it has nothing to offer me undeveloped

Earth has people and cultures and many many places I've never been before

there is nothing on Mars but the people you went on the trip with an maybe some unexpected creatures

i need documented evidence that it is safe first and foremost, say if we lose contact with earth, say if earth cant send us supplies

what then? theres no going home

im not goin anywhere

Earth has too much to offer

/

imagine if it was a trick, an no one went to mars

an experiement

Small minded, the Earth is a grain of sand in the Solar system

it is indeed

but im not going on a mission to colonize mars, it has nothing to offer me undeveloped

Earth has people and cultures and many many places I've never been before

there is nothing on Mars but the people you went on the trip with an maybe some unexpected creatures

i need documented evidence that it is safe first and foremost, say if we lose contact with earth, say if earth cant send us supplies

what then? theres no going home

Then you can be the ruler or Mars with your weapons of choice :Y:

• Upvote 1

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

when u think about it

i mean REALLY think about

we aint even gonna explorer a fraction of a fraction of the smallest part of the universe

theres like stars

_49590154_hubble_field2_464.gif

This collection of stars is so far away its light has taken more than 13 billion years to arrive at Earth.

and this aint even the only universe

they have to send these things on suicide missions or find something moves MUCH faster that aint happenin soon

this makes sense really. they go mars build a base, earth sends them supplies, more people go and join them, eventually they build a bio dome with plants and animals, partner-up have children, eventually the colony becomes bigger and through the generations they start to terraform mars and give it a breathable atmosphere, mars will be earth mk2 by the year 3000.

/

wudnt want to go personally, if i had to i wud obv go with the wife. it has sum positives tho, as a pioneer u wud have prospecting rights, the land u claim mite become very valuable, either becos of exotic minerals or as living space when earth becomes over crowded. on the other hand all that red sand and not being able to breathe fresh air wud give u sum next level cabin fever.

I wouldnt go to mars, simply because there is nothing there, would be so boring i would kill myself. I would definitely go to another planet if stuff had already been built by someone.

Them people will probably all die fast anyway, sounds like a total disaster waiting to happen.

• Downvote 1

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

what im thinkin, if you live there, what will you do for fuel? food, water

is there oil under thre? and oil is created by plants, which need water, i know they said they found evidence of oceans or some sh*t, but i dont know

is there an atmosphere? would we need to transport oxygen from here to there? can we make artificial oxygen? if so does it have to be made in our atmosphere or could it be done there even if theres nothing

whats the gravity sayin? are there raw materials there that could be utilised to build machines n sh*t? like would we have to send cars up there n while on that subject would a plane be able to fly in its atmosphere?

is the oil fertile for food growth? or would that have to be shipped to

what happens for electricity? could use solar i guess but thats dead, i guess in the hundreds years from now wen ppl will be about to go the tech would have improved

how will u shower n sh*t, if u add all these things up theres bare sh*t to bring

whats the temp on the surface saying

and IMO the most important thing

would you be able to get an internet connected (assumin uve worked out the electricity issues n sh*t) would a satellite be able to transmit from earth to mars, or would a special network need to be set up exclusively for mars

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

^^^all those issues r easily solved tbh.

they send sh*t to mars all the time, the difficult/expensive thing is life support.

they can transmit from earth to mars but it takes 8 minutes i think.

i dont know tbh aint it like incredibly hot on one side and freezing on another?

or is that a next planet?

^^^all those issues r easily solved tbh.

they send sh*t to mars all the time, the difficult/expensive thing is life support.

they can transmit from earth to mars but it takes 8 minutes i think.

i dont know tbhaint it like incredibly hot on one side and freezing on another?

or is that a next planet?

mars is just really cold, obv u would need suits outside and a base with its own internal atmosphere.

i think they wud have to make a craft that doubles up as a base at first, then build more structures as the components arrive from earth.

they have already solved sum of the problems they wud encounter from the space station.

/y do ppl think this is impossible?

• Upvote 2