Time Traveler in Charlie Chaplin Film ?

Mr. Gayle

Belfast native - and self-confessed 'massive Chaplin fan' - George Clarke posted the 1928 footage on the video-sharing site, revealing that when he first saw the clip he 'couldn't believe his eyes'.

'I kept rewinding it and zooming in to try and work out what was going on,' explained the 33-year-old.

'I have been studying this footage for over a year now and I just can't explain it.

'Some people have come up with a few theories but to me her actions and gestures are those of someone talking on a mobile.'

In the scene in question the apparent time traveller, clad in a hat and coat, walks into frame appearing deep in conversation while holding a black object to her ear.

One theory put forward so far is that the device is a hearing aid, although explanations as to why she might be talking into it have been less forthcoming.

George's YouTube clip, which he describes as having opened 'a whole can of worms', has already racked up over 1.3million views on the site.

Comments left by viewers of the footage, so far, range from 'secret government operations' theories to the decidedly less sinister: 'I think it's a crazy old person talking into her hand-held vibrator.'

Guess you need to watch the footage now to come to your own conclusion

• Downvote 1