Man can vote from jail now

Guest Lens

Prisoners to get the right to vote

Coalition set to confirm it is ready to change law to remove voting ban on more than 70,000 inmates of British jails

Prisoners are to get the right to vote as the government is poised to throw in the towel in a long-running legal tussle with the European court of human rights, it emerged today.

It is understood that the coalition is to confirm that it is ready to change the law to remove the voting ban on more than 70,000 inmates of British jails.

The move comes after government lawyers advised that failure to comply with a 2004 ECHR ruling could cost the taxpayer hundreds of millions of pounds in litigation costs and compensation.

David Cameron was said to be "exasperated and furious" at having to accept that there was no way of keeping the UK's 140-year-old blanket ban on sentenced prisoners voting.

There was no official confirmation of the decision to drop the ban, but a representative of the government is expected to signal the move in a statement to the court of appeal tomorrow.

No decision is thought to have been taken on exactly how the change will be implemented and which inmates are to be given the right to vote.

The Daily Telegraph reported that the ban could be retained for murderers and others serving life sentences and that judges may be given responsibility for deciding which criminals should be allowed to vote when they are sentenced.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/nov/02/prisoners-vote-european-court-human-rights

/

Prisoner votes: killer John Hirst celebrates with 'champagne and a spliff'

The killer whose human rights case has paved the way for prisoners to get the vote in Britain for the first time has taunted ministers by toasting his success on YouTube with "Champagne and a joint".

John Hirst, who hacked his landlady to death with an axe, said he was celebrating “for the 75,000 prisoners who will be getting the vote – that includes murderers, rapists, paedophiles.”

He waved his glass around before taking a long drag on a joint, and laughed: “It will bloody kill me that.”

His sickening YouTube video will be viewed with horror by David Cameron who, as the Daily Telegraph disclosed, has reluctantly admitted that the Coalition will have to allow prisoners to vote after a judgment by the European Court of Human Rights.

On his four minute long “home video”, Hirst said: “I’ve got the joint, I’m going to celebrate. I’ve got the bottle of Champagne and I’m going to celebrate because last night it was announced in the Daily Telegraph that prisoners have got the vote which I am really chuffed about.

article and video @

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8105570/Prisoner-votes-killer-John-Hirst-celebrates-with-champagne-and-a-spliff.html

its a euro ting put man dem doing a 4 year + bid cant vote whole thing is stupid prisoners should not be able to vote hole tight miss chowdury just a shame u wernt able to stab up more war mongers death toll in iraq is stupid and then u claim is better than when saddam was in charge f*ck off

When you commit crimes you forfeit your human rights because you've set out to harm society in some way

Lol at giving murderers the right to a vote, wtf

Exactly, joke ting

One guy from the prison reform service rang up TalkSport saying "this makes the prisoners part of the society, taking away his voting rights makes him not a person with any rights etc"

Madness

everybody deserves a minimal level of human rights, its 2010 not the 1800's

some of you need to step into the present day and stop thinking in the past

prisoners should at least have a say in general elections tbh, because the government that comes into power has a huge impact on their standard of living

i bet with the tories in power, we will see a lot more prisoners dying in cells

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

prisoners should at least have a say in general elections tbh, because the government that comes into power has a huge impact on their standard of living

Like I said before, why should they have a say in the laws they have already broken and not wanting to live as a decent citizen

Like I said before, why should they have a say in the laws they have already broken and not wanting to live as a decent citizen

people make mistakes

not everyone who is in prison has done something heinous

on top of that most of them will return to live in society