Jessie J

Lieutenant

pitchfork gave the album 2/10

On the same weekend Jessie J was getting her first big push in America as the musical guest on "Saturday Night Live", the music video for Rebecca Black's "Friday" was just beginning to spread around the Internet as a viral sensation. "Friday" took off because people were calling it the worst song ever and mocking its dopey lyrics and awkward approximation of standard modern pop tropes. The biggest difference between Black's song and the contents of Who You Are is that while Jessie J gets the expected formula of pop "right," the hapless Black gets it "wrong." But in that "wrongness" lies a humanity that J cannot approach. Even through bad vocal processing, Black sounds like a specific person. Also, the lyrics of "Friday" may be undeniably clunky, but there is a magic to them that makes the song funny and immensely quotable, like a lot of great pop songs throughout history. Jessie J's lyrics are no less banal and artless, but they lack charm entirely. When she's not going off on bitter rants against those who doubt her, she mainly sings forgettable boilerplate or spouts vapid utopian nonsense, as on the utterly nauseating "Rainbow". Black gets attacked for representing the worst of modern pop, but she's a gawky 13-year-old amateur backed up by a Z-grade production company. If you need to rail against dumb, soulless music, Jessie J is a far better target.

unlk

• Upvote 1

Guest Esquilax

Pitchfork = online NME

Try way too hard

No serious music journalist would begin to compare Rebecca Black and Jessie J, and I'm not even saying that because I like her

It's just f*ck*ng dumb, she writes her own songs, she's got a magnificent voice, just because some f*ck*ng nerdball who only listens to deep African meditative choir music says they're the same doesn't make it so

Their bits on grime and dub and bass music are ok though

Guest Esquilax

If you don't like pop music that's made to be pop music then don't review a f*ck*ng pop album

Not all music needs #pain, some can just be judged on how it sounds because that's why it's made, big choruses, big hooks, great vocals etc

So typical of them to act like everything mainstream is just a soulless husk

I don't see a soullessness in her, I see a young girl with an amazing talent who has worked hard to get where she is over coming adversity

/

I'm coming across as a Jessie J fanboy whereas I'm really a Pitchfork hateboy, so I shall SNM on the matter

If you don't like pop music that's made to be pop music then don't review a f*ck*ng pop album

lol this is true, but they raised some good points, that first track she had out was fairly fresh sounding but what about this price tag one? you couldn't make a more middle of the road pop song if you tried, same old boring structure, same f*ck*ng chord progression, i swear that sh*t haunts my dreams i hear it so often, there's nothing about the song that makes it different, and it could have been sung by countless different female vocalists. only reason ppl like her is coz she sticks costume jewellery on her lips.

Guest WAVESURFER

Nah, I basically hate her because her music's f*ck*ng terrible, and judging by her persona she seems like a complete c*nt.

There's 2 reasons for you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1