Twitter joke trial: Paul Chambers loses appeal against conviction

Guest Esquilax

Guest Esquilax

f*ck*ng UNREAL

The man convicted of 'menace' for threatening to blow up an airport in a Twitter joke has lost his appeal.

Paul Chambers, a 27-year-old accountant whose online courtship with another tweeter led to the "foolish prank", had hoped that a crown court would dismiss his conviction and £1,000 fine without a full hearing.

But Judge Jacqueline Davies instead handed down a devastating finding at Doncaster which dismissed Chambers' appeal on every count. After reading out his Tweet – "Crap! Robin Hood airport is closed. You've got a week and a bit to get your sh*t together otherwise I'm blowing the airport sky high!!" – she found it contained menace and that Chambers must have known that it might be taken seriously.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/nov/11/twitter-joke-trial-appeal-verdict

Beg everyone with a Twitter account say they're gonna explode something

"Judge Jacqueline Davies......Caroline Wiggin, prosecuting"

WOMEN CAN'T BE TRUSTED TO MAKE RATIONAL DECISIONS.

After KayGee's comments about the Facebook tr.oll I've come to this conclusion, how you gonna trust bitches when they believe in horoscopes and join FB groups like "I STAY MAD AT MY BF EVEN THOUGH IT WAS IN A DREAM LOLOLOL".

Oh and the defensive lawyer guy is a guy. SNM.

Guest Esquilax

"Judge Jacqueline Davies......Caroline Wiggin, prosecuting"

WOMEN CAN'T BE TRUSTED TO MAKE RATIONAL DECISIONS.

After KayGee's comments about the Facebook tr.oll I've come to this conclusion, how you gonna trust bitches when they believe in horoscopes and join FB groups like "I STAY MAD AT MY BF EVEN THOUGH IT WAS IN A DREAM LOLOLOL".

Oh and the defensive lawyer guy is a guy. SNM.

Lmao

Some farckin REEL TORQUE them way there fam-fam

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

i understand ur all for free speech and whatever and even though ud prob never say it u say it to prove a point and what not after hes been sent down

but who even says theyll blow up an airport?

here's some wise words for Paul, at 1.28

at 3.10 is what he'll be singing in prison

• Upvote 2

I totally understand the whole 'freedom of speech/the right to laugh' thing but there are SO many stories around like you should know tweeting something like this would be considered evocative a may provoke a reaction. And I tweet some pretty messed up crap (like a lot of people), he needs to just take it on the chin.

His tweet was dry also. Come on dude, going to waste money on legal fees for THAT.

Guest Waka Flocka Dave
Tory councillor arrested over Twitter stoning post

A Conservative Birmingham City councillor has been arrested over allegations he called on Twitter for a female writer to be stoned to death.

Erdington councillor Gareth Compton made the remark about Yasmin Alibhai-Brown on his Twitter page.

Police said he had been arrested under the Communications Act 2003 and bailed. He has since apologised.

Ms Alibhai-Brown said she found his attitude "loathsome" and that a "flippant apology" was not enough.

She had appeared on Radio 5 Live's breakfast show on Wednesday discussing human rights in China.

Afterwards, Mr Compton allegedly tweeted: "Can someone please stone Yasmin Alibhai-Brown to death? I shan't tell Amnesty if you don't. It would be a blessing, really."

Later, he wrote on Twitter that he had not called for the stoning of anybody.

He said: "I made an ill-conceived attempt at humour in response to Yasmin Alibhai-Brown on Radio 5. I [apologise] for any offence caused, it was wholly unintentional."

The Conservative Party has said his membership has been suspended indefinitely pending further investigation.

Ms Alibhai-Brown said she had been upset that somebody felt it "was OK" to say such things.

She said she had not known until the early hours, when she received a call, that anything had been written about her.

"My daughter had seen it earlier and not told me so I realised why she had been upset before she went to bed," she said.

"If I, as a Muslim woman, had said about him what he said about me then I would be arrested in these times of the war against terror," she said.

"He does not have more of a right to say these things about me that I do about him and I think words matter when you are in public life."

Roger McKenzie, Unison's West Midlands regional secretary, said he had been inundated with complaints from city council workers outraged at Mr Compton's comments and he called on Mr Compton to resign from the council.

He said: "Birmingham is a multicultural city and the council's workforce reflect this.

"It is clear that Councillor Compton is out-of-touch with both his city and the council staff.

"It is wholly unacceptable for a public official to make such racist comments. Councillor Compton must resign his seat immediately."

A Birmingham City Council spokesman said: "Any complaints that are formally received about the conduct of a city councillor are considered by the Standards Committee to determine if there is any case to answer."

The Leader of the Commons, Sir George Young, told MPs the comments were unacceptable.

"Stoning to death is a barbarous form of punishment which the government and I am sure every honourable member of this house deplores, and I hope that no elected person will threaten any member of our society with that sort of punishment," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-11736154

new tweet for u Esquire

Guest Esquilax

Tory councillor arrested over Twitter stoning post

A Conservative Birmingham City councillor has been arrested over allegations he called on Twitter for a female writer to be stoned to death.

Erdington councillor Gareth Compton made the remark about Yasmin Alibhai-Brown on his Twitter page.

Police said he had been arrested under the Communications Act 2003 and bailed. He has since apologised.

Ms Alibhai-Brown said she found his attitude "loathsome" and that a "flippant apology" was not enough.

She had appeared on Radio 5 Live's breakfast show on Wednesday discussing human rights in China.

Afterwards, Mr Compton allegedly tweeted: "Can someone please stone Yasmin Alibhai-Brown to death? I shan't tell Amnesty if you don't. It would be a blessing, really."

Later, he wrote on Twitter that he had not called for the stoning of anybody.

He said: "I made an ill-conceived attempt at humour in response to Yasmin Alibhai-Brown on Radio 5. I [apologise] for any offence caused, it was wholly unintentional."

The Conservative Party has said his membership has been suspended indefinitely pending further investigation.

Ms Alibhai-Brown said she had been upset that somebody felt it "was OK" to say such things.

She said she had not known until the early hours, when she received a call, that anything had been written about her.

"My daughter had seen it earlier and not told me so I realised why she had been upset before she went to bed," she said.

"If I, as a Muslim woman, had said about him what he said about me then I would be arrested in these times of the war against terror," she said.

"He does not have more of a right to say these things about me that I do about him and I think words matter when you are in public life."

Roger McKenzie, Unison's West Midlands regional secretary, said he had been inundated with complaints from city council workers outraged at Mr Compton's comments and he called on Mr Compton to resign from the council.

He said: "Birmingham is a multicultural city and the council's workforce reflect this.

"It is clear that Councillor Compton is out-of-touch with both his city and the council staff.

"It is wholly unacceptable for a public official to make such racist comments. Councillor Compton must resign his seat immediately."

A Birmingham City Council spokesman said: "Any complaints that are formally received about the conduct of a city councillor are considered by the Standards Committee to determine if there is any case to answer."

The Leader of the Commons, Sir George Young, told MPs the comments were unacceptable.

"Stoning to death is a barbarous form of punishment which the government and I am sure every honourable member of this house deplores, and I hope that no elected person will threaten any member of our society with that sort of punishment," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-11736154

new tweet for u Esquire

He's a councilor, nothing will happen to him

And his threat was only of murder. In fact, he proposed to kill more people in his tweet than the other guy. Paul Chambers said he was gonna blow the airport up. If it was closed at the time it would have no one inside it.

i understand ur all for free speech and whatever and even though ud prob never say it u say it to prove a point and what not after hes been sent down

but who even says theyll blow up an airport?

here's some wise words for Paul, at 1.28

at 3.10 is what he'll be singing in prison

"i wannase pickachu f*ck the sh*t out of a garados"

"every season ash gets a new hoe and he never hit it"

"can bloods or crips evolve?"

"pok-heh-mon"

"jigglypuff is the finest bitch on pokemon"

:lol: :lol: :lol: