The England Football Team Thread

Black.

Guest Trollse Hill

u spent 15m on Joe Cole, we got Wilshre whos better than messi at this age and has potential to win england 2 world cups

whos laughin fam, cole will retire in 1 year, he wont get in euros squad, thats sort of team ur building

• Downvote 1

After receiving the news, 18 year-old midfielder Jack said:

"I'm delighted to have been named in the Senior England squad for the first time. It is a real honour and I'm looking forward to the experience."

"I'm also realistic and want to take things one step at a time. Being called up to the England squad is a proud moment for me and my family, but my first target is to break into the Arsenal team and play on a regular basis. To achieve that, I need to keep my head down, work hard and stay focussed."

Arsenal >>>>>>>>>>>>>> England

Good lad Jack.

Muamba mentioned before Jack Rodwell? Sometmes I wonder about the Vipset.

He'd be wasted as a holding player & needs to complete his u21 apprentership first, only special cases get to skip.

I reckon Milner might end up centre mid long term next to someone like Huddlestone. With Wilshere, Rodwell and Johnson behind Rooney.

Wilshere is the one though, hopefully him and Rooney will do what Gerrard and Rooney should have.

When Wenger arrived in England 14 years ago and made an immediate impact with a Premier League and FA Cup in his first full season, he was perceived as a refreshing new model of manager: liberal, flexible, and as open-minded as they come. Now the image is somewhat different. He is seen as stubborn and belligerent. Has he changed? Have the endless crusades toughened him up? Wenger is in a relaxed pre-season mood and the question amuses him. His answer is simple: perceptions nowadays are all down to whether or not you win.

"The fact we did not win the championship for five years means people say I am stubborn," he says. "If we had won in the last five years I would still be as flexible and open as before."

To give a more topical example, he elaborates on what he calls the "Rooney factor". During a week when England's most important footballer was plastered over the front pages of the tabloids for being, well, plastered in the early hours and in possession of a cigarette, Wenger argues the story is negative in the context of England's poor World Cup. "Imagine he does exactly the same but they won the World Cup," the Frenchman suggests. He proposes the story would then be an upbeat one. Good old Rooney. What a Jack the Lad. Look how he can be a winner and then go out and enjoy it. "That means you do not judge the guy, you judge first the result he has produced and then according to your disappointment, you judge the guy," Wenger muses.

"Rooney, today, cannot walk out there and do anything. Even if he needs to pee on the golf course. That is not normal any more. What is important about Wayne Rooney is that his attitude when he plays is 100% right. When he goes with Man United to West Bromwich Albion, he gives absolutely everything to win the game. So, he wants a little enjoyment, but what do you want? They're not monks. They have to behave properly but you have to understand that they are under a level of pressure which is higher than ever."

this is some any "look heres change" squad when the season kicks on and they need to qualify for the euros the regular prem performers will be back.

• Upvote 1

Paul Robinson has announced his retirement from international football after withdrawing from England's squad to face Hungary next week.

The Blackburn goalkeeper was recalled to the Three Lions squad by Fabio Capello after he missed out on this summer's World Cup in South Africa.

But the 30-year-old will not feature in Wednesday's friendly at Wembley after opting to concentrate on club football.

It is understood he informed the Football Association of his decision on Saturday night but did not tell Capello.

The former Leeds and Tottenham keeper, who first played for his country against Australia in 2003 and went on to win 41 caps, will not be replaced in the squad.

Immediate effect

Robinson said in a statement released on Sunday: "I've taken the decision to retire from international football with immediate effect.

"Only now have I been able to make this decision as previously I have not been in contention or selected for the squad.

"As a professional who wants every chance to play football, I do not see myself as No.3 or 4 goalkeeper.

"I find that role very frustrating. I haven't had the opportunity to be anything other than this in recent years.

"Therefore I feel it's in the best interests of myself and my club, Blackburn Rovers, that I concentrate solely on my club football.

"I wish the England team every success."

Errors

Robinson was first choice during qualifying for the 2006 World Cup and for the finals themselves.

But he lost his place after making some costly errors as England missed out on qualification for Euro 2008 under Steve McClaren.

His failure to connect with a Gary Neville back pass after the ball bobbled on an uneven surface resulted in an own goal in the 2-0 defeat in Croatia, and he could only palm a long-range shot into Roman Pavlyuchenko's path to concede the winner in a 2-1 defeat against Russia.

He was not selected for two years following those mistakes and was only recalled by Capello when David James was injured for the World Cup 2010 qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Andorra.