The England Football Team Thread

Black.

The average positions was actually

Gerrard

Henderson   Coutinho

We played the same 4-3-3 that we played against Spurs, Rodgers said so himself.

You're getting into semantics,  but ok lets go with what you're saying.

Lallana plays a pressing game for Southampton so he'd be comfortable playing where Coutinho does for us. Why exactly is it that playing Gerrard at the base of the midfield on his own was possible for us without getting exposed but doing the same for england with similar personnel would leave the team exposed?

The average positions was actually

Gerrard

Henderson   Coutinho

We played the same 4-3-3 that we played against Spurs, Rodgers said so himself.

You're getting into semantics,  but ok lets go with what you're saying.

Lallana plays a pressing game for Southampton so he'd be comfortable playing where Coutinho does for us. Why exactly is it that playing Gerrard at the base of the midfield on his own was possible for us without getting exposed but doing the same for england with similar personnel would leave the team exposed?

I don't doubt that but the World Cup wouldn't be the best time to experiment, i would rather Lallana play in a position he is more familiar in on the left and have someone like Wilshere do the job Coutinho/Allen has been doing for us. The balance is much better that way, for me at least.

Said it ages ago

Welbeck is in a completely different situation to Sturridge.

Sturridge at United in the same situation as Welbeck wouldn't be ahead of RVP or 3hunna. Welbeck needs to leave United for a club where he can play week in, week out or united need to show him some faith. Sturridge has benefited from that, he's flourishing and it's quite obvious that he's the better player right now.

Still think that Welbeck potentially has more to his game than Sturridge in the long run. But Sturridge is putting in that work boy...

Laughable, he isn't as good of a dribbler or a passer or has as good of a touch. The notion that he has a better all round game than Sturridge is one of the most uneducated football opinions i've seen, nothing he has shown in his career backs this point up.

Yet man has played for England since he was 14

Plays for united

came through the youth system at united

More than likely going to the WC

but yeah he isn't any good at the basics needed to get/be at that level  :/

any scouse tronics

Said it ages ago

Sturridge at United in the same situation as Welbeck wouldn't be ahead of RVP or 3hunna. Welbeck needs to leave United for a club where he can play week in, week out or united need to show him some faith. Sturridge has benefited from that, he's flourishing and it's quite obvious that he's the better player right now.

Still think that Welbeck potentially has more to his game than Sturridge in the long run. But Sturridge is putting in that work boy...

Laughable, he isn't as good of a dribbler or a passer or has as good of a touch. The notion that he has a better all round game than Sturridge is one of the most uneducated football opinions i've seen, nothing he has shown in his career backs this point up.

Plays for united

any scouse tronics

None of what you say has hardly any relevance mate.

I said in regards to him having more ability than Sturridge, didn't say he doesn't have any ability at all.

• Downvote 1

Said it ages ago

Plays for united

any scouse tronics

I said in regards to him having more ability than Sturridge, didn't say he doesn't have any ability at all.

The thing is I didn't even say he has more ability, I said he has a larger skill set potential than Sturridge, please note I also mentioned Sturridge is clearly the better player right now. 

As for Welbecks Skillset, Whether he fulfills it is another debate all together. You tried to debunk that by saying man doesn't have the basics at this level and his career doesn't prove it.

So I stated where Welbeck has started and where Welbeck is now to calm your tone and highlight your talking sh*t. How I can debate with you when you're trying to make man out to be a blue square league player,

And tbh I'm actually a big fan of Sturridge, wanted him at Arsenal.

• Downvote 1

I think I'd leave Lampard at home.

I'd go with:

Hart, Forster, Foster

Johnson, Baines, Gibbs - can't decide about Shaw/Gibbs/Cole, seems kind of pointless taking Cole as #2 - then again, a Baines injury and it'd be a dumb decision. I'd lean towards Gibbs but suspect Roy will go the safer route. As it'll get less criticism if it ever comes to it.

Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Caulker

Gerrard, Henderson, Wilshere, Barkley, Carrick

Lallana, Sterling, Ox, Milner, Rodriguez

Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Welbeck

Ox and Milner give you the options of legs as the third man in midfield. Only taking one natural right back, suppose there's the option of Flannegan instead of the #2 LB, but I'd use Jones/Milner there dependant on opposition.

Just know that my team for Italy is:

Hart

Johnson - Jagielka - Cahill - Baines

Henderson - Gerrard - Wilshere

Lallana - Rooney - Sturridge

You need experience Cole has to start and lampard has to go

Said it ages ago

Plays for united

any scouse tronics

The thing is I didn't even say he has more ability, I said he has a larger skill set potential than Sturridge, please note I also mentioned Sturridge is clearly the better player right now. 

As for Welbecks Skillset, Whether he fulfills it is another debate all together. You tried to debunk that by saying man doesn't have the basics at this level and his career doesn't prove it.

So I stated where Welbeck has started and where Welbeck is now to calm your tone and highlight your talking sh*t. How I can debate with you when you're trying to make man out to be a blue square league player,

He doesn't have a larger skill set

Its pure nonsense

What is he actually better at Sturridge in doing?

Dribbling, passing, touch?

How u not gonna take Welbeck when he has been England's most consistant performer for the last 2 years

• Upvote 1

How u not gonna take Welbeck when he has been England's most consistant performer for the last 2 years

Against San Marino and Moldova.

Crouch statistically is one of Englands best as well, doesn't mean you play him against Italy.

I would actually take him though.

Rooney Sturridge Rodriguez Welbeck

• Downvote 1

Said it ages ago

Plays for united

any scouse tronics

Its pure nonsense

Welbeck is more of an natural and intelligent footballer imo.

Sturridge comes across as more of an instinctual player, he's bringing things into his game what Welbeck showed from the get go.

Welbeck never really needed to bring anything to his game, he just needed to work on what was already there, but you can't do that when you're playing so little, out of position etc.

When Messi was out for 8 weeks it seemed like the world and his dog sided with Ronaldo as being the best player in the world. Then Messi came back and slapped everybody.

While I'm not comparing the players themselves I am comparing the Morale of the story, that it is easy to look better than your competition when your compeition isn't playing .

I didnt mention any stats mate i said consistent performers.

• Upvote 1

Said it ages ago

Plays for united

any scouse tronics

Its pure nonsense

Welbeck is more of an natural and intelligent footballer imo.

Sturridge comes across as more of an instinctual player, he's bringing things into his game what Welbeck showed from the get go.

Welbeck never really needed to bring anything to his game, he just needed to work on what was already there, but you can't do that when you're playing so little, out of position etc

He didn't need to bring finishing into his game nah?

Or have a more consistent first touch nah?

Sturridge is the more natural footballer, it still puzzles me people fail to see this

He is one English footballer, who you can say has a continental style of play and technique

Welbeck in comparison has less technical ability and less flair imo, you see players like him and Lambert come through the English game at times, Sturridge is anomaly, because like continental players watch him through the game, and note how many different parts of his foot he incorporates in how he plays, he can do all the flicks and little deft touches Welbeck can, plus he is a far better dribbler, and has a far more consistent touch, that to me suggests he is a better footballler technically.

The concept of Welbeck being more intelligent is perplexing as well, he brings others into the game, yet he has never been a creative threat in the final third? I think he is just more aware of his limitations, in comparison Sturridge has always been incredibly confident which is why at times he backs himself to score, rather than pass it on, thats not a lack of intelligence per se, its how all strikers should think.

This is Sturridge at 19/20

That midfield is pathetic

I expect Pirlo/De Rossi/Montolivo to dominate with ease

It isn't pathetic.

Would get over run and tactically outclassed

Gerrard would have cramp by the 60th minute

Wilshere would just give the ball away like he normally does

LOL

I think it could work, if you play a front three of Sterling, Sturridge, and Lallana.

Sterling and Lallana are amongst the best pressers in the competition, and can both keep the ball as well..

Italy will still win though most probably, but they might be able to get out the group stages.

Agree about Wilshere though, although his running and dribbling from deep, may be able to cause Italy a few problems.

The heat though will be a problem, as it suits possession based teams.