Tenants' finances to be checked after two years

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

Guest Waka Flocka Dave
Social housing landlords will be able to check their tenants' finances after two years in the property, under planned reforms.

Following the review, tenants could be evicted if their financial situation is deemed to have improved enough.

The reforms, for new tenants in England, will be unveiled next week as part of a wide-ranging Localism Bill.

The government had already said it wanted to end council houses "for life" for anyone new coming into the system.

Existing tenants will not be affected by the changes.

Local authorities and housing associations would give tenants at least six months notice to move out if they were found to be no longer eligible for social housing.

The Department for Communities and Local Government stressed that two years was a minimum and that the reforms were intended to give flexibility to local housing providers.

Housing Minister Grant Shapps told the BBC that "two years won't be the norm for tenancies, many years will be the norm".

The measure will be subject to consultation, but the government hopes it will be in place by summer 2011.

Housing devolved

A number of other reforms to social housing, including fixed-term tenancies - again, with a minimum of two years - will be announced on Monday.

BBC political reporter Adam Fleming said the policy "might go down badly with some Liberal Democrats".

"The Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes said his party would need 'a lot of persuading' when David Cameron first mooted the idea of ending life-long tenancies in the summer," added our correspondent.

At present, council tenants keep their property for life unless they breach their tenancy agreement, for example, by engaging in anti-social behaviour. They can also pass their homes on to their children.

Housing is a devolved matter for the administrations of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, so any changes would only apply in England.

In last month's spending review, the coalition said funding for social housing would be cut by more than 60%, with new tenants also having to pay higher rents, at nearer market rates.

But the government said it hoped the changes would free up funds to build 150,000 new affordable homes over the next four years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11802378

LOL this guy...

man even wanted salaries to go through the government so they take the tax and pass the remainder to us...

Jesus man

Guest M12 Part 2

i agree with this. Just because you were broke or in a bad financial situation once doesnt mean you should have a council house forever. Social housing should be for people who NEED it. If you have a certain amount of money in your accounts or your job is bringing in a certain wage. You should be renting privately or have a mortgage.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

i agree with this. Just because you were broke or in a bad financial situation once doesnt mean you should have a council house forever. Social housing should be for people who NEED it. If you have a certain amount of money in your accounts or your job is bringing in a certain wage. You should be renting privately or have a mortgage.

People are free to do what they like, no one has to live by government rules, they don't breed us

• Upvote 1

I agree with it to a certain extent. The only thing I'm thinking about is what are they going to deem as the minimum to rent privately. Private is stupidly expensive when you combine bills and all that sh*t. Most people in council housing should be aiming to save enough where they can drop a deposit on a mortgage. Renting privately probably means that won't happen for a very long time.

Guest M12 Part 2

I agree with it to a certain extent. The only thing I'm thinking about is what are they going to deem as the minimum to rent privately. Private is stupidly expensive when you combine bills and all that sh*t. Most people in council housing should be aiming to save enough where they can drop a deposit on a mortgage. Renting privately probably means that won't happen for a very long time.

This is nonsense IMO. The whole point of social housing is to provide shelter for people who couldnt actually afford to live in a privately rented house or pay for a mortgage. If there is a situation where people in these houses are able to save up 20k for a deposit on a house. They obviously shouldnt be in social housing, social housing isn't there to provide people a cheaper/easier way to get on to the property market. It's for people who couldnt survive or would really struggle without it. The whole system at the moment is a joke.

Two people can both earn 25k a year. One of them has a job and gets paid 25k straight in his account by his employer. The other has a job that pays 12k but runs a business on the side mowing lawns that brings him in an extra 13k a year. In the current system if the second guy doesnt declare the money he makes from his side hustle. He will be eligible for all kinds of grants and tax allowances that the guy who just gets 25k straight will not. IMO they shouldnt be treated any differently from each other and honesty hasnt worked so far, because so many people dont declare their other income streams. The only way to keep on top of this is to monitor bank accounts.

It's a privacy thing yeah, but at the end of the day, this kind of stuff is why the gov't wastes so much money. Cash is going to people who dont need it and so many things are run so inefficiently.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Two people can both earn 25k a year. One of them has a job and gets paid 25k straight in his account by his employer. The other has a job that pays 12k but runs a business on the side mowing lawns that brings him in an extra 13k a year. In the current system if the second guy doesnt declare the money he makes from his side hustle. He will be eligible for all kinds of grants and tax allowances that the guy who just gets 25k straight will not. IMO they shouldnt be treated any differently from each other and honesty hasnt worked so far, because so many people dont declare their other income streams. The only way to keep on top of this is to monitor bank accounts.

Yeah but what happens when he gets caught?

I agree with M12 (apart from where he's tried to use people's dishonesty to make his point).

The fact is that it's hard to get council houses. I think 2 years is too short but 3-4 years sounds fair as long as the minimums are set right. My only issue would be that with this current governement it will be ridiculously low and force more people into f*cked situation.

Guest M12 Part 2

Yeah but what happens when he gets caught?

irrelevant imo.

if these kinda measures were in place a lot less "catching" would need to be done

Guest Awesome Kong

LOL @ moving ever two years. LOL @ paying private renters stupid money. If I could get a council house in 2/3 years I will try try buy it after a few years at the place. That's the way.

So the options are if your broke rent from the council. If you get a little money then rent from someone else. If you get alot of money then buy your own place.

This is all good and well but they trying to move the broke folk every 2 years which means no stability. Ultimately they get to stay broke. Those few that do progress enough to earn a little money are then forced to rent privately meaning they get to be in a bracket of earning more but are paying out more, thus reducing the chances that they will be able to buy their own place in the near future.

Surely this is f*cked up?

The middle man that is renting out their properties continue to make money cos people that make a little extra money want a higher standard of living but if your still renting what really has improved for you?

Surely if the idea is to get people out of government dependency it makes sense to look at the long haul of it.

People should be encouraged to save while they are council tennants, with maybe an idea of the government helping with some funds towards your own place for when your ready to move.

I'm a council tennent but I would say I'm earning enough extra to be one of those pushed into renting privately, but like I already said what would that do for me? I'm saving money to make bigger change in my life instead of passing more money onto some guy that's already rich.

I'm motivated to better myself but if they make the changes they are suggesting I can only see it creating the biggest backlash in history as those that are pushed to rent privately are stunned by the costs and will end up going back to renting from the council once they realise that they are not creating any forward momentum in their lives from renting privately.

Another case of the poor getting f*cked over.

• Upvote 2

Guest TimeBomb

This aint a bad idea.

Most of my money goes on rent, why should next person earn same money as me but pay very little rent for their council house. Council tenants pay like a quarter of what i pay rent. I dont think they should be kicked out of their council house though, just made to pay normal rent like private rent.

Lol at how sick Margaret Thatcher was. She was so sick that now the idea of NOT owning your own house or working towards owning means you're somehow lower in life! People talk like owning your own house is a right! Woman was sick!

People can't afford to pay regular amounts of rent for their area but everyone thinks they should have a mortgage, presumably also in that area.

Guest M12 Part 2

exactly. Its not your right to own a house and its not the governments job to make it as easy for you as possible. If you cant afford one. get your money up. We live in a capitalist society, deal with it.

And out of interest i read the shortest tenancy will be two years and this wont be common. Where does that translate into everyone must move every two years, which is what im seeing in this thread?