Champions League 2nd Round Draw Build Up Thread )

Mame Biram Diouf

Guest Rorschach

Why interpret it as an absolute statement?

Of course the stronger the backline, the less likely you'll concede, it's common sense.

Your problem (any teams) against Barca is all over the pitch though

But the final third is where the fatal strikes are delivered

and Arsenals defensive third .... she's leaky.

It's a gaurantee your midfield will be run ragged, so if they falter, the likes of Koscienly and Squillaci aren't going to be rocks at the back for you

Inter, as you said, had made provisions to stop Barca all across the pitch

You know Wenger won't do this

Of course I do. Hence me stating from the start we'll lose.

My point is, (as stated from the start & on various other occasions), Barcelona have only lost in one way. Incredible defensive discipline in midfield/attack & counter-attacks. Fact. So for Barcelona SPECIFICALLY, these are the KEY areas. Of course it's a given that your backline should be on point. It should be the case for every match. But we're talking about Barca here.

So, we've concluded Arsenal's backline is 'leaky', by top standards. That won't change drastically by February, but the areas that can be tweaked are in the other 2 thirds of the pitch.

Barcelona don't build attacking moves in the final third, they build them in their half. Instead of focusing on preventing goals per se when they get to your penalty area, focus on preventing them from even creating chances. That's what Inter did last season. It weren't like Maicon, Lucio, Samuel & Chivu were pulling all kinds of last-ditch tackles/interceptions Paul McGrath-style throughout the match.

You know what bruv, I was going to edit my post because this is all circular, of course, I knew what you meant, I was just saying a team with an average defence that doesn't properly make provisions to cope with barca, wont even have their defence to fall back on in terms of tracking their runners/positional sense etc when its down to them

But yes, circular..

though I would disagree about the inter thing, Lucio etc did have to make quite a few last ditch tackles / blocks when they were under the kosh

Time for Wenger to once again display what an overrated manager he is. Tactically inept

This is a manager who cannot even worry a top team these days, 1 goal in 5 matches v Man Utd, who cosigns this?

Reality is I hope we can avoid being embarassed and that injuries prevailing we might get lucky.

Guest Rorschach

Yup. Its not that he gets his tactics wrong

He....purposefully...doesn't..get them right :/

Because then everyone else would win.

Anyway the day he decides to, people will only call him a hypocrite that plays anti-football despite claiming the opposite

Guest Portuguese

The only ways you can beat Barca is.

If there is another ash cloud during the week of the first leg no seriously speaking you have to pack the middle.

You have your back four but both fullbacks tuck in in otherwards your literally have four centre halves.

Now for midfield you play three in the middle(two spoilers+Cesc further forward) and both wide players have to be defensive minded and are willing to curb their natural attacking insticts for the sake of the team.

the lone striker must be a guy with pace/good finishing/ outstanding work rate because he will get chances vs Pique/Puyol(plus these two love to play a high line)

Now this system will make the likes of Xavi/Iniesta pass the ball wide to the full backs more than usual which will lead to crosses because the middle is going to be so packed.

if I was Wenger I will play

any of the three keepers he has at his disposal

Sagna Koscielny Vermaelen Clichy

Eboue Song (Buy a spoiler in the winter window who can still play in europe) Gibbs

Cesc

Walcott

But Wenger won't he will try and do the impossible (take control of both ties)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If there is another ash cloud during the week of the first leg no seriously speaking you have to pack the middle.

You have your back four but both fullbacks tuck in in otherwards your literally have four centre halves.

Now for midfield you play three in the middle(two spoilers+Cesc further forward) and both wide players have to be defensive minded and are willing to curb their natural attacking insticts for the sake of the team.

the lone striker must be a guy with pace/good finishing/ outstanding work rate because he will get chances vs Pique/Puyol(plus these two love to play a high line)

Now this system will make the likes of Xavi/Iniesta pass the ball wide to the full backs more than usual which will lead to crosses because the middle is going to be so packed.

Eboue Song (Buy a spoiler in the winter window who can still play in europe) Gibbs

Cesc

Walcott

Walcott upront? LOL

Cesc

Walcott

are u havin a laugh

terrible terrible post

Guest Portuguese

Cesc

Walcott

Walcott upront? LOL

Walcott is a striker not a winger Wenger himself knows this.

Someone I cannot remember who clearly reminded me how TH14 ran Puyol/Marquez ragged with his pace in 06 all I am saying Walcott could do the same easily.

Van Persie is never fit

Chamakh would get easily handle by Pique/Puyol

Bendtner ???

Vela ???

Walcott is unpredictable and is blessed with high quality speed.

walcott up front on his own??

in that system hes put up

the front man primarily has to bring players in and retain possesion

we all no walcotts only real threat is pace, in wide areas or if he played up front on the last man shoulder for 90 min

he aint got the ability or maturity to do the loan role in this type of game imo and has never shown it before

tbh portuguese post aint that bad but we simply aint got the personel

nd we all know wenger would rather play to the strengths of our individuals then change philosphy

we all no walcotts only real threat is pace, in wide areas or if he played up front on the last man shoulder for 90 min

he aint got the ability or maturity to do the loan role in this type of game imo and has never shown it before

nd we all know wenger would rather play to the strengths of our individuals then change philosphy

Good point.

@Darkman

Walcott could arguably cause more trouble to the Barcelona defence than Bendnter, Chamakh AND RVP as a striker.

Theo Walcott can play as a lone striker? :lol:

If used solely as an outlet, it's possible. Just because you play upfront on your own, doesn't mean it's absoutely necessary to hold up the ball which would be the main problem. In theory.

Primary Targetman: Walcott

Instructions: Run on to ball.

• Upvote 1

Guest Portuguese

Bendtner cannot retain possession nor can Chamakh

I cannot recall Henry ever retaining possession in that final all he did was play on the shoulders of Puyol/Marquez just poor finishing let him down that night.

Walcott would have Cesc in support but like I said I am not Wenger(seriously he surely has to learn from his past mistakes)

@Darkman

Walcott could arguably cause more trouble to the Barcelona defence than Bendnter, Chamakh AND RVP as a striker.

Theo Walcott can play as a lone striker? :lol:

If used solely as an outlet, it's possible. Just because you play upfront on your own, doesn't mean it's absoutely necessary to hold up the ball which would be the main problem. In theory.

Primary Targetman: Walcott

Instructions: Run on to ball.

Walcott simply couldnt't make the runs, and remember I like Theo...