David Cameron on Tuition Fees

Davicious X

Everyone with an opinion on the tuition fees should watch this cos there is alot of hearsay going on and I'm not even trying to explain what's actually being planned. I leave that to the man in charge...

Mans talkin a big bunch of sense imo. And before you ask, I didnt vote for either Conservative or Lib Dem, but I did vote.

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

always wondered, do these dudes even know what thyere gonna say before they make a speech?

swear they gt speech writers n sh*t n are always busy, dnt they jus glance over it n sh*t

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

saw on the news some uni, i think it was Buckinghamshire or new hertfordshire, deffoa shire in there, an arts uni, will lose all of its funding, ALL

thats f*cked

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

saw on the news some uni, i think it was Buckinghamshire or new hertfordshire, deffoa shire in there, an arts uni, will lose all of its funding, ALL

thats f*cked

• Upvote 7

• 1 month later...

http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/5370

Boy, you can't do selling out like the Lib Dems do selling out.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies has today come out strongly against Coalition arguments to cut the Educational Maintenance Allowance.

In a report posted on their site tonight they dismiss many of the arguments made by the Coalition. The IFS also says that if the government wanted to be consistent, it would also drop payments of Child Benefit to households with children over 16 who are in full-time education, as it had a similar impact. But they haven’t.

The Government defends its intention to scrap EMA – and replace it with a smaller payment – on the grounds that the EMA is expensive and fails to deliver enough bang for its buck.

What does the IFS study find? (their statements turned into points)

1. Previous work by IFS researchers found that the EMA significantly increased participation rates in post-16 education among young adults who were eligible to receive it.

2. The costs of providing EMA were likely to be exceeded in the long run by the higher wages that its recipients would go to enjoy in future.

3. A simple cost-benefit analysis mentioned above suggests that even taking into account the level of “wastage” (i.e. people who would have gone into education anyway even if not receiving EMAs), the costs of EMA are completely offset.

4. The key assumption behind the Government’s methodology for calculating the “deadweight” is that the impact on participation is the only outcome that matters. But the EMA may have other benefits: … for example through better attendance, or more study time as a result of not having to take on a part-time job.

5. Even if the EMA had no impact on educational outcomes it would still represent a transfer of resources to low-income households with children, which may in its own right represent a valuable policy objective.

The IFS also points out that several other Coalition policies, such as the temporary relief of Employer National Insurance Contributions (NICs) for new businesses located outside the South East and Eastern England, had more “wastage” but were put in place anyway.

To that extent, they say, the Educational Maintenance Allowance represented good value for money.

• He says that the current economic situation we're in is largely responsible for the system they've implemented, if that's the case once we're out of this situation are we going to see a proportional change in the system for higher education?

This.

Recession has been the perfect opportunity for the tories to push through their age old agenda of cuts to public funding and moves towards more privitisation.

• Upvote 3

Creative courses have their place fuel some of the industries the country actually excels at, the Tories most famous campaign strap line 'Labour isn't working' almost certainly wasn't thought up by a maths student.

feeling this quote

Can you think of single prominent person in the creative industries who got one of these mickey mouse degrees? I don't think you can. Actually that quote was thought up by the Saatchi brothers; Maurice Saatchi went to the LSE, Charles didn't go to university.

I think its tiresome to accuse the Lib Dems of selling out. They made these promises in the eventuality that they would form the next government. Since they are not the only party in government, and indeed the junior party in government, how can you expect Nick Clegg to implement every manifesto promise without dilution. Furthermore, the more senior labour figures did not want to enter into a coalition with the LDs, and if they did, then they would have formed a minority government, which could have been brought down at any moment and another general election would have to be called.

On EMAs...Lies, damned lies, and statistics. Speaking anecdotally, EMAs were just spent on consumables, items that made no discernable difference to how successful students were academically. I feel that if you need to be paid and coerced to attend college then you dont value education. You think Chinese/ other developing nations kids (soon to be our competitors) need to be paid to go to college?

"Recession has been the perfect opportunity for the tories to push through their age old agenda of cuts to public funding and moves towards more privitisation."

This is disingenuous. Although you might think Tories are some evil cunts who enjoy to make working people's lives miserable. There is actually a good reason for cuts they implement, to fix up the economic mess bequeathed to them by previous labour governments. i.e. from Labour calling in the IMF and the winter of discontent in the 70s to more recently under Gordon Brown. The country is broke. There is no such thing as a free lunch. The wealth created in the labour years were all an illusion, just asset bubbles. Most of the jobs created in the Labour years were just public sector jobs that don't create any wealth. Nobody's privatizing the educuation system . The Browne report was commissioned remember by a Labour government. Blair and Brown recognised that the State alone cannot foot the bill for the desperate investment that our universities need.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Creative courses have their place fuel some of the industries the country actually excels at, the Tories most famous campaign strap line 'Labour isn't working' almost certainly wasn't thought up by a maths student.

feeling this quote

Can you think of single prominent person in the creative industries who got one of these mickey mouse degrees? I don't think you can. Actually that quote was thought up by the Saatchi brothers; Maurice Saatchi went to the LSE, Charles didn't go to university.

From my experience most of my collegues in the various creative companies i have worked in have all done these "mickey mouse" courses. They don't need to be "prominent" names. They are the talented people who get their credits but not "rock star" fame. They are the talented people that bring in business to this country (games/sfx/ movie post production) through their respective industries which is continously being squeezed to death by this and the past government leading to all the talent going off overseas.

Are some of these courses flawed? yes. Are they essential for doin those creative jobs in particular? For the most part but you do get some exceptional talent without any qualifications but that is few and far between. Most of the OGs don't have these degrees because they were not around then 20-30+ years ago.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

feeling this quote

From my experience most of my collegues in the various creative companies i have worked in have all done these "mickey mouse" courses. They don't need to be "prominent" names. They are the talented people who get their credits but not "rock star" fame. They are the talented people that bring in business to this country (games/sfx/ movie post production) through their respective industries which is continously being squeezed to death by this and the past government leading to all the talent going off overseas.

Are some of these courses flawed? yes. Are they essential for doin those creative jobs in particular? For the most part but you do get some exceptional talent without any qualifications but that is few and far between. Most of the OGs don't have these degrees because they were not around then 20-30+ years ago.

Ok yeah games/sfx/ etc. Those degrees may be useful and they have a practical application. Allow me I thinking of degrees like media studies.

All the talent are moving overseas because of more favourable tax rates overseas.

Guest Esquilax

feeling this quote

I think its tiresome to accuse the Lib Dems of selling out. They made these promises in the eventuality that they would form the next government. Since they are not the only party in government, and indeed the junior party in government, how can you expect Nick Clegg to implement every manifesto promise without dilution. Furthermore, the more senior labour figures did not want to enter into a coalition with the LDs, and if they did, then they would have formed a minority government, which could have been brought down at any moment and another general election would have to be called.

On EMAs...Lies, damned lies, and statistics. Speaking anecdotally, EMAs were just spent on consumables, items that made no discernable difference to how successful students were academically. I feel that if you need to be paid and coerced to attend college then you dont value education. You think Chinese/ other developing nations kids (soon to be our competitors) need to be paid to go to college?

"Recession has been the perfect opportunity for the tories to push through their age old agenda of cuts to public funding and moves towards more privitisation."

This is disingenuous. Although you might think Tories are some evil cunts who enjoy to make working people's lives miserable. There is actually a good reason for cuts they implement, to fix up the economic mess bequeathed to them by previous labour governments. i.e. from Labour calling in the IMF and the winter of discontent in the 70s to more recently under Gordon Brown. The country is broke. There is no such thing as a free lunch. The wealth created in the labour years were all an illusion, just asset bubbles. Most of the jobs created in the Labour years were just public sector jobs that don't create any wealth. Nobody's privatizing the educuation system . The Browne report was commissioned remember by a Labour government. Blair and Brown recognised that the State alone cannot foot the bill for the desperate investment that our universities need.

So f*ck*ng true.

I'd pos you twice if I could

Been saying this from EARLY

Even if it does help the minority to fund their education, it's still not worth the high cost in incurs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Guest Esquilax

Did anyone see that breh on the news just now :lol:

"WE NEED THAT MONEY FOR THE WEEKEND- I MEAN, UH, HOW ARE WE GONNA LIVE?"

"How would you reply to those who say we're going through hard times and need to tighten our belts, and that the country needs that money?"

"...NO COMMENT"

f*ck*ng hell.