$500 million out of court to keep Cheny out of prison

O.Man

Halliburton may pay $500 million to keep Cheney out of prison

d*ck-Cheney-002.jpg

Oilfield services company Halliburton is in negotiations with the Nigerian government to keep its former CEO, d*ck Cheney, out of prison, according to a news report.

Nigeria filed charges against Cheney this week in an investigation of alleged bribery estimated at $180 million. Prosecutors named both Halliburton and KBR in the charges, as well as three European oil and engineering companies -- Technip SA, EniSpa, and Saipem Construction.

The charges allege that engineering contractor KBR, until 2007 a subsidiary of Halliburton, was among companies that paid bribes to secure a $6 billion contract for a natural gas plant. KBR pleaded guilty to the same bribes in a US court in 2009, and agreed to pay a $382 million fine. The Nigerian charges appear to stem from the US case -- though, in that trial, Cheney was never directly charged

Further complicating the issue is that the negotiations appear to be an out-of-court settlement, because Nigerian law doesn't recognize plea bargaining.

The idea that an out-of-court settlement could be used in a criminal case angered anti-corruption activist Adetokunbo Mumuni, who told GlobalPost, "There cannot be an out of court settlement. In a purely criminal matter like this, the full letters of the law should apply. Whoever is involved should be taken through the entire process to determine their guilt or not."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/halliburton-500-million-cheney-prison/

This is the US government.

The people who got paid off in the first place are just trying to shake down the US companies for more money, probably by threatening to provide incriminating evidence, so they are bastards for not taking the opportunity to make examples of these ''politicians''.

A week ago it looked promising : http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/02/d*ck-cheney-halliburton-nigeria-corruption-charges

no but they have massive, ill maintained pipes leaking into the Niger delta sourcing the oil to refineries owned by oil tycoons (Shell)

Leaking of oil into Niger delta causes locals to loose livelihood and means to live, they rise up in arms and Nigerian government paid off by oil tycoons attacks these villages killing hundreds without any real discrepancy

such a lovely story, i think my petrol is low going to go fill up now

*blurghch*

/

the news story above is a deal on natural gas worth 6 billion to the US companies

Even if he went to Prison he would live some life of luxury.

Anti-Corruption efforts in this place are always upstaged by greedy devil type figures, who think it is their define right to hoard this money.

Nigeria would of been better off never finding oil.

I'm not trying to get myself locked up, but I have never seen a more useless organisation than the people who work in the Nigerian government.

Why are these Africans allowing themselves to be corrupted like this ffs?!

"allowing themselves to be corrupted"?

cos it's all the evil white man's fault for tricking these poor africans into taking bribes?

the nigerian government and its institutions are corrupt as f*ck, rotten to the core

• Upvote 1

Guest Awesome Kong

cos it's all the evil white man's fault for tricking these poor africans into taking bribes?

the nigerian government and its institutions are corrupt as f*ck, rotten to the core

:/

I know they are f*cked.

/

Come on now, lets be serious. If it wasn't for white people's slave trade, Africa would be in a better position.

Don't have to look as far back as the slave trade to find reasons for African deficiencies. Just look Western/Eastern European policy during cold war, the colonial mentality reflected by African leaders themselves etc and you will get many answers of why Africa is the way it it is.

• Upvote 1

the nigerian government is just like the russian government....rotten to the core with everyone having a price

the nigerian government is just like the russian government....rotten to the core with everyone having a price

dunno if you took offence to what i said/that was supposed to be an insult to me?

cos what you said is true, except the russian fed. is worse

http://www.transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2010/results

i think the only places that rank worse than russia are either former-soviet-union or african countries with civil wars taking place

fact is hardly anybody in the nigerian gov cares about poor people in oil rich regions living in dirt poor conditions.. i swear the british police do more to go after the oil crooks than the nigerian authorities? i mean, from when nigerians are voting in regional politicans who've already been convicted of corruption it's their own fault

Damn, surprised Singapore is so high.

Swear they have been some revelation in recent years, unless I'm thinking of another country.

Most of Asia/South America/Africa...SMH :lol:

Although I have always contended that certain countries, I.E UK/USA are just better/care more about hiding their corruption.

/

And yup, Nigerian government doesn't care about poor folk. But British police?!?

I know British law firms try and bring cases against oil firms and what not, but don't think it does much good.

Also, people in this place are dumb, they will rant/protest about corrupt politicans etc, then the same politician will come around, campaign, offer a mosque/church, a few cows and stuff that has no longevity and they will elect that same person again.

Damn, surprised Singapore is so high.

Swear they have been some revelation in recent years, unless I'm thinking of another country.

Most of Asia/South America/Africa...SMH :lol:

Although I have always contended that certain countries, I.E UK/USA are just better/care more about hiding their corruption.

Yeah they are better at hiding it, but they're also much less corrupt. Do you think that the epenses scandal would have been a scandal in those other countries? It wouldn't have even been newsworthy, and nobody would be outraged

The UK cannot be compared to places like Russia/Nigeria

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

yea theres only like sporadic corruption over here, in Kenya u aint sh*t unless ur corrupt n that goes down every level, from politicians, judges, traffic police, the anti corruption unit is probably corrupt itself

My good friend is an investigative journalist and does a whole bunch of travel to Africa uncovering corruption. He knows a number of spies all over the place (they'll just call themselves diplomats). UK companies are just as embroiled in the corruption as anyone else. One such company paid the Ugandan Military to fire on a passenger boat for instance. The UN have photographic evidence for this, but won't release it for 20 years.

The point is, there is no beginning and no end to corruption. EVERYONE is at it, whether you're actively taking part or covering it up. The UK Government cover a LOT of sh*t up.

• Downvote 2

Oh, of course UK is nowhere on the levels of this place or others.

Expenses scandal is like taking money from a piggy bank in comparison. Politician in this country take a ludicrous amount of money home, and its not their proper wages.

25% of Nigeria's national budget was held in the Nigerian parliament.

Oh, of course UK is nowhere on the levels of this place or others.

Expenses scandal is like taking money from a piggy bank in comparison. Politician in this country take a ludicrous amount of money home, and its not their proper wages.

25% of Nigeria's national budget was held in the Nigerian parliament.

Are you in Nigeria at the moment?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1