Submotion Orchestra

Guest faze

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Soothing and soft, dulcet and dreamy, seven-piece Submotion Orchestra make incredibly exciting music the can only be described a hybrid of jazz, ambient, soul and electronica rooted in dubstep. The Leeds based band are set to drop their fourth album Alium via Counter Records in November but now they are here to give us a little taster of whats in store. Slow down, kick back and relax to the sound of this week's Slumber Session as SO's frontman Dom tells all on the mix. Enter the sound of Submotion.

"Some of my favourite music that has lasted me since my early teens has been the most relaxing. There is something about the dream-like state induced by closing my eyes & listening to great music that really immerses my brain in all the complexities of space and time in a recording. I imagine myself in a place, and I can imagine where all the sounds are coming from, how far away they are, what time of day it is, and even why I am there. Sometimes I see myself on a beach, drinking rum punch under a palm tree and watching the sunset, while the band/DJ plays from a floral pagoda. Sometimes I see myself on a night bus in the cold concrete metropolis, with the music in my headphones providing an ambient electronic soundtrack, helping me to see the beauty in the miserable weather and crumbling dereliction. I think it all depends on my mood and the mood of the music. I tried to fit a variety of moods into this mix; from the simple-but-effective songs of Fink & Joanna Newsom, to the late-night electronic fizz of Om Unit & Burial, to the stone cold classic dubby downtempo of Lamb and Rhythm & Sound. Of course also with some appropriate Submotion favourites slotted into the mix. I really hope you enjoy listening to this mix as much as I enjoyed putting it together, and I hope it takes you on a relaxing journey into my sound and influences." Dom, Submotion Orchestra. @submotion-orchestra

• 11 months later...

Whats Alium saying? just downloaded...

best track from their new EP III

Submotion Orchestra November jazz mixtape

To mark our closing performance at this year London Jazz Festival, we’ve put together a mix of some of our favourite and most influential jazz artists from the 50s up to the present day

0.00 ‘Glory to the Sun’ – The Awakening (Black Jazz)
0.43 ‘Awakening’ – The Mike Westbrook Concert Band (Deram)
4.08 ‘Equinox’ – John Coltrane (Atlantic)
12.35 ‘Ode To Ethiopia’ – The John Betsch Society (Strata-East)
16.50 ‘Chant’ – Doug Carn (Strata-East)
21.19 ‘Summer Goddess’ – Soil & “Pimp” Sessions (Victor)
25.53 ‘Maimoun’ – Marion Brown (Impulse!)
30.16 ‘Echoes’ – Leon Thomas (Flying Dutchman)
35.47 ‘Lullaby for a Lonely Child’ – The Graham Collier Sextet (Fontana)
41.19 ‘Mahjong’ – Wayne Shorter (Blue Note)
48.36 ‘Arrastao’ – Dom Salvador Trio (Mr.Bongo)
51.25 ‘Murilley’ – Charles Earland (Muse)
57.41 ‘Kofi’ – Donald Byrd (Blue Note)
1.05.16 ‘Come Live With Me’ – Dorothy Ashby (Cadet)
1.07.48 ‘Tibetan Serenity’ – Travis Biggs (Universal Sound)
1.11.48 ‘#1’ – DJ Krush (Mo’ Wax)
1.16.15 ‘Up Above the Rock’ – Ray Bryant (Cadet)
1.19.12 ‘Golden Ring’ – American Gypsy (Chess)
1.23.32 ‘Fourth Wall’ – Hidden Orchestra (Tru Thoughts)
1.27.24 ‘Hopopono’ – Gogo Penguin (Gondwana)
1.31.07 ‘Visions IV’ – Triosk (Leaf)
1.35.03 ‘City of Glass’ – Portico Quartet (Real World)
1.41.28 ‘These Goodbyes’ – Matthew Halsall and the Gondwana Orchestra (Gondwana)
1.44.07 ‘Galaxy in Turiya’ – Alice Coltrane with strings (Impulse!)
1.48.37 ‘Take Me to the Water’ – Nina Simone (Philips)
1.51.27 ‘Steal Away to Jesus’ – Bernice Johnson Reagon (Norton)

UK tour in March/April, kicking off in London on March 11th

Anyone feeling the new Album?

The tracks with ruby on stood out on the first listen, some of the male vocals seemed a bit souless.