MacBook Pro

Seth Rollins

Guest El Padrino

Keeping it short.

Download this. Should be aight

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5515580/Mac_OS_X_10.6.3_retail_-_iso

Have a DUAL DVD disk at hand. Once downloaded. Burn the .DMG to the dvd as a boot disk.

Can help with the burning via TeamViewer remote if you can catch me around on here and you're unsure of how to burn the disk and not just copying the dmg to disk as a file only.

As for the install, this should cover it, there or there abouts. Any questions ask.

1. Insert (leave the disk in) the Mac OS X installation disc that you have just burnt. into your MBP optical drive.
  2. Reboot and hold down the ALT key on the keyboard and you will be presented with two icons. Select the CD/DVD to boot from CD/DVD
  3. When the Language Chooser appears, select your language, and then click the Continue button (looks like an arrow).
  4. In the Installer, choose Utilities > Disk Utility.
  5. Select your startup disk (Hard Drive) from the list on the left, and then click the Erase tab.
  6. From the Format pop-up menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled), type a name for your disk, and then click Erase
  7. After the disk has been erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility, and then follow the instructions in the Mac OS X Installer to reinstall Mac OS X.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Thinking of getting a MAC, but have no idea which is best to get or from where. Im guessing Apple or Amazon .

is it just like getting a PC just looking for good specs etc

I aint no DJ or designer, just want it as PC is dying and thinking of making the change

FA23, I know your an Applehead

As a casual user I'd just get the macbook rather than paying the extra £500 or so for the pro.

As well as Amazon etc try http://www.jigsaw24.com/ they tend to have decent deals if you catch them at the right time and the official Apple site, they sell the returned items they get (fully functioning with warranty) for a bit less.

Is the diff between the two major ?

Sfe for the website

If you're going to be running applications that require a lot of memory / processing power ie video editing, music production software it's worth getting a Pro but for the applications you're likely to be using I doubt you'd notice much difference. Macbooks are still fast machines.

Everyone is on the money with what they are saying. What I will add to is if you do feel that you may decide to venture in something like graphic design, web design or a field that makes use of memory hungry applications in the near future, just invest in an entry model 13 inch macbook pro. They are like £132 more than a standard macbook. I'm looking to get one soon if I can even though my macbook is almost 2 years and runs perfectly but since I want to start learning graphic design and web design I don't want my machine struggling as it takes longer than I would like to start up InDesign and Photoshop, though it's not that long at all. I'm just being fussy.

Also if you know a uni student get them to come in to the apple store and get student discount. Get a decent discount on the machine and a very good discount on the warranty.

/

IMACs will always be more powerful than the macbooks but it's down to whether or not you want a desktop or laptop. If you are replacing your PC and don't want a portable machine, get the Imacs. They are built very well. As far as I know, that newsgroups thing works though you should ask Skemar as he may know better. A lot of software made for windows is on mac os x but there will be some stuff that is exclusive to windows.

Guest 11 Bills

Metro page 25, apparently Apple is changing the design of the Mackbook Pro

so dont know if you wanna hol dout for that, or get it then sell it when it comes or just carry on with the current one

I was talking to my boy the other day and he was saying that next range of macbook pros will struggle to have huge speed bumps because of how stupidly fast it is already so it's bait that a new design is coming for next year. Within a couple of weeks new design announcements are made..

I still bought mine though!

dont buy a standard macbook, its been nearly a year since the last update = a new one is dropping very soon (macbook normally refresh every 200 days or so)

same with the iMac...

macbook pros were updated in feb so they are still fresh....

Guest FA23

Need a Mac thread

Im gonna go for the iMac. Need to go in a store and see the size diff between the 21.5 and 27"

Good choice, new QC iMac's dropping this week.

IMAC 21.5" /2.7QC/2X2GB/1TB/6770M

IMAC 27" /2.7QC/2X2GB/1TB/6770M

IMAC 27" /3.1QC/2X2GB/1TB/6970M

IMAC 27" /3.4QC/2X2GB/1TB/6970M

Guest Esquilax

The 27 IS huge, that sh*t's for graphic designers and that IMO, don't need that for browsing the forum

Imagine seeing Lench's face on a HD 27" screen *shudders*

The 21 is more than enough

Why a desktop tho Gayle?