US Politician Shot In The Head

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

Its intellectually lazy to blame Sarah Palin, did Palin incite violence? No. The man is obviously a lunatic and unstable. Ironically the congresswoman who was shot was ideologically closer to the republicans, she was also pro second amendment, i.e. She is anti-gun control. That argument is a red herring anyway. Suppose, that Barack Obama with 2/3 majority in congress repealed the 2nd amendment. The country is so full with weapons, that banning them would not deter a criminal from obtaining one. I wholeheartedly agree with Thun on the topic of the 2nd amendment; any country is incredibly harder for a tyrant to pacify once their citizens are armed.

She posted a picture on her website wherein she had 'crosshairs' over the constituents who voted for the healthcare reform. So no, the argument isn't intelllectually lazy. And she did incite violence, albeit indirectly.

Nonsense. Sorry its nonsense. What rational-minded person would translate that kind of politicking into actually assassinating someone? Is she on the level of an Abu Hamza telling people to kill the infidel? They have laws against inciting violence and hatred in this country, do you think she would be successfully tried and convicted? Mind you Nick Griffin was unsuccessfully tried.

Guest WAVESURFER

Its intellectually lazy to blame Sarah Palin, did Palin incite violence? No. The man is obviously a lunatic and unstable. Ironically the congresswoman who was shot was ideologically closer to the republicans, she was also pro second amendment, i.e. She is anti-gun control. That argument is a red herring anyway. Suppose, that Barack Obama with 2/3 majority in congress repealed the 2nd amendment. The country is so full with weapons, that banning them would not deter a criminal from obtaining one. I wholeheartedly agree with Thun on the topic of the 2nd amendment; any country is incredibly harder for a tyrant to pacify once their citizens are armed.

She posted a picture on her website wherein she had 'crosshairs' over the constituents who voted for the healthcare reform. So no, the argument isn't intelllectually lazy. And she did incite violence, albeit indirectly.

Nonsense. Sorry its nonsense. What rational-minded person would translate that kind of politicking into actually assassinating someone? Is she on the level of an Abu Hamza telling people to kill the infidel? They have laws against inciting violence and hatred in this country, do you think she would be successfully tried and convicted? Mind you Nick Griffin was unsuccessfully tried.

You're basing your argument on the assumption that Palin's following is made up of "rational-minded" people.

It isn't.

• Upvote 2

You're basing your argument on the assumption that Palin's following is made up of "rational-minded" people.

It isn't.

No I'm basing my argument on whether she was responsible or not. Who even knows the motives of the lunatic were. I don't even know why I'm defending Palin, I personally think she should retire quietly to Alaska, however I think its irrational to apportion blame to her.

Well its your opinion of whether her following is made up 'rational-minded' people. She was a governor of a state, she could have been Vice-President. It would be irrational to suggest that her following solely consists of irrational people.

For example, during the credit crisis when politicians of various stripes were 'bashing' the bankers. Are you telling me that if some lunatic, took this rhetoric literally, and actually bashed a banker, could these politicians be accused of inciting violence.

Of Course my deepest sympathy is with the congresswoman's family.

• Upvote 2

Wrong to say her following may have irrational people.

Some of her followers claim that Obama wasn't born in America FFS, how much more irrational can you get?

She has quotes like this..

Commonsense Conservatives & lovers of America: "Don't Retreat, Instead - RELOAD

At every opportunity her followers have labelled Obama a Nazi, a party that killed millions of people.

She essentially uses the politics of fear to tap into middle America. So whilst it would be outrageous to consider her an accessory to murder, it isn't far-fetched to believe that in the current climate some body may look at her words and think I'm going to make myself an American hero.

I mean American republicans had a congressional hearing about Eminem lyrics influencing kids. So they are the first who talk about the influence of peoples words.

Some of her followers claim that Obama wasn't born in America FFS, how much more irrational can you get?

At every opportunity her followers have labelled Obama a Nazi, a party that killed millions of people.

She essentially uses the politics of fear to tap into middle America. So whilst it would be outrageous to consider her an accessory to murder, it isn't far-fetched to believe that in the current climate some body may look at her words and think I'm going to make myself an American hero.

I mean American republicans had a congressional hearing about Eminem lyrics influencing kids.

You are making specious arguments that bear no relation to the topic at hand. Eminem's lyrics? what has that got to do with this? I thought we were talking about how much responsibility we can apportion to Sarah Palin.

First of all we do not know the facts? How do we even know he was a fan of Sarah Palin? "her followers have called Obama a nazi" Every single one? out of millions?so what? They have their right to an opinion, no matter how wrong it is. Is that to say they would readily prepared to commit violence. Plenty of Obama supporters called McCain a Nazi. So what? They are perfectly entitled to their views.

From the looks of it there is nothing to suggest that Palin had any kind influence on the shooter. He lists Mein Kampf and the communist manifesto as his favourite books. His videos are incoherent ramblings. Could it be possible that the man is just a lunatic? Perhaps you would like to suggest that Peter Pan should be removed from all bookshelves, for its incendiary tone, after all its also one of his favourite books.

Furthermore, the tea party is not a monolithic composition and leaderless, Sarah Palin does not run it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I mean American republicans had a congressional hearing about Eminem lyrics influencing kids.

You are making specious arguments that bear no relation to the topic at hand. Eminem's lyrics? what has that got to do with this? I thought we were talking about how much responsibility we can apportion to Sarah Palin.

First of all we do not know the facts? How do we even know he was a fan of Sarah Palin? "her followers have called Obama a nazi" Every single one? out of millions?so what? They have their right to an opinion, no matter how wrong it is. Is that to say they would readily prepared to commit violence. Plenty of Obama supporters called McCain a Nazi. So what? They are perfectly entitled to their views.

From the looks of it there is nothing to suggest that Palin had any kind influence on the shooter. He lists Mein Kampf and the communist manifesto as his favourite books. His videos are incoherent ramblings. Could it be possible that the man is just a lunatic? Perhaps you would like to suggest that Peter Pan should be removed from all bookshelves, for its incendiary tone, after all its also one of his favourite books.

Furthermore, the tea party is not a monolithic composition and leaderless, Sarah Palin does not run it.

c/s

Llow chatting sh*t.

the fact is she's been irresponsible with the choice of terminology and imagery she's been using to put her political point across.

Cross hairs, using terms like target and reload is dumb and if it wasn't her team wouldn't have decided to take the images down.

Where was there a claim that every single one of her followers were the same or that they are ready to commit violence?

But it is fact that Tea Party members/Gun Rights Advocates, have turned up to rallies of Gifford and others who voted for Healthcare reform with guns to intimidate. And have vandalised her property after comments made by Palin and Co.

No where in this thread did I say she was directly involved, just that there was a possibility that someone reads into her words more than they should. Neither did I advocate any censorship so your Peter Pan argument is absurd.

Anyway, its her own stupid actions that make her suspicious, why take down the website/picture if you feel that there was nothing wrong with it.

Llow chatting sh*t.

the fact is she's been irresponsible with the choice of terminology and imagery she's been using to put her political point across.

Cross hairs, using terms like target and reload is dumb and if it wasn't her team wouldn't have decided to take the images down.

How am I chatting sh*t? I do not rate Palin AT ALL! But yes she has been irresponsible. But at the moment you cannot, CANNOT, make a substantial causational link between Palin and the shooter.

Until there is evidence that the shooter was directly influenced by her (speeches, pictures, a video of 'who's nailin' palin' etc.) then you really say anything.

So what, she took it down, in politics perception is often more important than reality.

c/s

this is rubbish

101018_palin_teaparty_ap_605.jpg

she heavily campaigned for teaparty candidates all across the US at these elections, and she is credited to having helped them

she is not even liked by republicans that much which is why she gets favour from psychos like this man who did the shooting

her rhetoric was enough to set off an already unstable person,

if hitler is listed as one of his idols it doesnt mean he worshipped him,

mein kampf is not a book about murdering jews its about a grand plan of domination, and people who like and hate hitler read it

if you dont know what your enemy is planning how can you fight them?

they see obama and the healthcare plan as some grand plan for the govt to take over their lives and remove choice

something which is similar to nazi germany

if sarah palin was muslim and this man was muslim we all know what tomorrow's headline will be

Where was there a claim that every single one of her followers were the same or that they are ready to commit violence?

But it is fact that Tea Party members/Gun Rights Advocates, have turned up to rallies of Gifford and others who voted for Healthcare reform with guns to intimidate. And have vandalised her property after comments made by Palin.

No where in this thread did I say she was directly involved, just that there was a possibility that someone reads into her words more than they should. Neither did I advocate any censorship so your Peter Pan argument is absurd.

Anyway, its her own stupid actions that make her suspicious, why take down the website/picture if you feel that there was nothing wrong with it.

So Palin told them to vandalise her property?

During the Proposition 8 vote in california some people, even elderly citizens, were violently accosted by gay right activists. Is this to say that more authoritative voices in the gay rights movement are responsible for their actions. Of course not.

Lunacy does not need an agency.

"just that there was a possibility that someone reads into her words more than they should." Exactly. Moreover there is a possibility that the shooter would have acted irregardless of anything that Palin said.

c/s

this is rubbish

she heavily campaigned for teaparty candidates all across the US at these elections, and she is credited to having helped them

she is not even liked by republicans that much which is why she gets favour from psychos like this man who did the shooting

mein kampf is not a book about murdering jews its about a grand plan of domination, and people who like and hate hitler read it

they see obama and the healthcare plan as some grand plan for the govt to take over their lives and remove choice

if sarah palin was muslim and this man was muslim we all know what tomorrow's headline will be

but that doesn't make her responsible for every lunatic that wants to shoot a politician

i dislike her and i dislike her rhetoric and i dislike her politics. it is clearly distasteful/inappropriate to use crosshairs on politicans in a political slogan, but i don't agree with blaming Palin for this. actually implying that she is responsible for his actions is crazy

also, the gun-control argument which people are getting at is a completely different debate

c/s

this is rubbish

but that doesn't make her responsible for every lunatic that wants to shoot a politician

i dislike her and i dislike her rhetoric and i dislike her politics. it is clearly distasteful/inappropriate to use crosshairs on politicans in a political slogan, but i don't agree with blaming Palin for this. actually implying that she is responsible for his actions is crazy

also, the gun-control argument which people are getting at is a completely different debate

no it doesnt, it makes us question if there is a link between this shooting of someone who was one of her "targets" who supported the healthcare plan

and the man who did the shooting.

since this was not just any random politician that got shot.

she never once asked for decency with all the racist anarchist rants the people at her rallies were displaying

she declared a war on washington

Llow chatting sh*t.

How am I chatting sh*t? I do not rate Palin AT ALL! But yes she has been irresponsible. But at the moment you cannot, CANNOT, make a substantial causational link between Palin and the shooter.

Until there is evidence that the shooter was directly influenced by her (speeches, pictures, a video of 'who's nailin' palin' etc.) then you really say anything.

So what, she took it down, in politics perception is often more important than reality.

Q was basically saying that it isn't far fetched that someone misinterpreted Palin's stance considering the terminology she's been using then you fly off the handle like it's out of order to make that connection despite the fact the very same politician who is the victim of this attack warned her about how it may be perceived.

Perception is everything in Politics hence the connection Republicans were so quick to make between Obama.....Osama...MUSLIM TEWWOWIST!

The stupidity of so many people is what the Republicans banked on to win them an election hence their propaganda campaign to label Obama a Muslim, don't then be surprised when that same stupidity comes back to bite you in the ass because you used inappropriate terminology to get your point across.

c/s

this is rubbish

Not it is not rubbish Sarah Palin does not run the tea party, it was founded before she had anything to do with it. it is not a monolithic organisation. Even Democrats are members. The candidates that she supported the most did not win anything, such as Sharron Angle in Nevada.Again, there is no evidence to suggest that there exists a causational link between her words and this lunatic's actions. None. So far anyway.

So you are privy to how this guy interpreted Mein Kampf then? You are really ascribing views to him, his views are still unknown, the motive is still unknown.

"her rhetoric was enough to set off an already unstable person"? Really? `She has been on the scene for a couple of years now. How many incidences like this have occured, out of all the millions of mentally ill people in America. And no-one is for sure that he was influenced by Palin.

quote from CBS news a few days ago : It’s fitting that Palin is now the godmother of a movement that has captured the GOP instead of being captured by it. A series of tea-steeped intra-party fratricides has produced unwanted and unabashedly extreme candidates who will kill the Democrats’ best hopes for 2010.

to say that the teaparty was founded long before palin confirms that this shooting is a result of her input.

it had been a toothless annoying movement with little political power, until she got behind it and supported many of the candidates who won

she helped raise money for them and campainged for them

for the ones that didnt win and lost to democrats like this one who got shot today, she set up a website (it got taken down this evening)

targetting all of them and released this message just a few days ago:

Palin tells her supporters not to get discouraged by the president signing into law health care reform legislation, but rather to "get organized!"

"We're going to reclaim the power of the people from those who disregarded the will of the people," writes the former Alaska governor. "We're going to fire them and send them back to the private sector, which has been shrinking thanks to their destructive government-growing policies.

a man like the person doing the shooting today is one of those brehs who have already given up on life

all he needs is a little spark for him to go on a madness.

• Downvote 1

Ulysses stop chatting sh*t. Legally Palin isn't responsible, she doesn't owe the victim a duty of care, the neighbourhood principle doesn't even apply to Palin. I'm not even saying she's directly responsible for the death, but you can't deny the links between her 'message' and the death. Seeing as reports about the killers admiration has been established.

At the end of the day, the bottom line remains the fact that her political career is as good as done in my opinion. The fact that she'll have to tread so carefully with any campaign issue has basically ruined every facet of aggression with which she can run for any type of office.

Good riddance to the dumb slut. Bitch had a 'reality show', she even made claims that Obama was a 'muslim'. Seriously? Even if this didn't happen, she would get precisely zero votes in a national election and the republicans would be f*ck*ng dumb to elect as a runner. That being said, they elected Bush as runner and Americans voted for him. So all in all, anything is possible with those dumbass Yanks.

quote from CBS news a few days ago : It’s fitting that Palin is now the godmother of a movement that has captured the GOP instead of being captured by it. A series of tea-steeped intra-party fratricides has produced unwanted and unabashedly extreme candidates who will kill the Democrats’ best hopes for 2010.

to say that the teaparty was founded long before palin confirms that this shooting is a result of her input.

it had been a toothless annoying movement with little political power, until she got behind it and supported many of the candidates who won

she helped raise money for them and campainged for them

for the ones that didnt win and lost to democrats like this one who got shot today, she set up a website (it got taken down this evening)

targetting all of them and released this message just a few days ago:

Palin tells her supporters not to get discouraged by the president signing into law health care reform legislation, but rather to "get organized!"

"We're going to reclaim the power of the people from those who disregarded the will of the people," writes the former Alaska governor. "We're going to fire them and send them back to the private sector, which has been shrinking thanks to their destructive government-growing policies.

a man like the person doing the shooting today is one of those brehs who have already given up on life

all he needs is a little spark for him to go on a madness.

Again you are making assertions that you cannot verify. How do you know he had given up on life. Do you know his motives? Do you understand his rationale?

So whats wrong with that quote from Palin? Its not very incendiary is it? Its typical language from a politician; especially in America.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

if nick clegg got shot a few days after the violent student riots in london by a student

would there be questions as to a link between his betraying students and his shooting?

maybe you think we are saying palin is dffinately respoinsible. i for one am not

im saying that she's a bitch and threw out violent ignorant rhetoric

now it looks certain to have backfired, and the targetter should now become the targetted

and she should now burn

Ulysses stop chatting sh*t. Legally Palin isn't responsible, she doesn't owe the victim a duty of care, the neighbourhood principle doesn't even apply to Palin. I'm not even saying she's directly responsible for the death, but you can't deny the links between her 'message' and the death. Seeing as reports about the killers admiration has been established.

At the end of the day, the bottom line remains the fact that her political career is as good as done in my opinion. The fact that she'll have to tread so carefully with any campaign issue has basically ruined every facet of aggression with which she can run for any type of office.

Good riddance to the dumb slut. Bitch had a 'reality show', she even made claims that Obama was a 'muslim'. Seriously? Even if this didn't happen, she would get precisely zero votes in a national election and the republicans would be f*ck*ng dumb to elect as a runner. That being said, they elected Bush as runner and Americans voted for him. So all in all, anything is possible with those dumbass Yanks.

Where have reports about the killer's admiration for her been established? Yes I can deny the link between her 'message' and the shooting. This man is a lunatic. A lunatic who is obsessed with mind control, who ranted about the US government using mind control to control the masses through grammar, who ranted about low literacy rates. Does any of this match up with the programme that Palin offers? Palin has never called Obama a Muslim, you are mistaken there.

Again I do not rate Palin, but its intellectually lazy to call Americans dumb. How did Blair still win comfortably in 2005? Are British people stupid? Most muslims voted for Labour in the last election, even though Brown fully co-signed the Iraq War, are muslims dumb. Beware of vast over-generalizations.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

if nick clegg got shot a few days after the violent student riots in london by a student

would there be questions as to a link between his betraying students and his shooting?

maybe you think we are saying palin is dffinately respoinsible. i for one am not

im saying that she's a bitch and threw out violent ignorant rhetoric

now it looks certain to have backfired, and the targetter should now become the targetted

and she should now burn

I think that is a false equivalency.

For the simple fact that there is no evidence that the shooter was stirred up by Palin. None. Look at what he talks about; literacy rates, mind control, grammar. Any mention of Obama, Islam etc or anything else the tea party is meant to stir sh*t up about? Nope.