Internet connection problem?

Gordon Gekko

Alright people, since moving to a new house with new internet I seem to have a problem where every time I switch on my laptop I have to go and reset the modem for it to connect to the internet. Nobody else in the house has to do this though and my Blackberry automatically connects without any problems and this laptop works in my house back in Liverpool automatically too.

Any ideas or solutions on how to fix this/connect automatically each time? When I do start it up from being fully switched off the connection symbol is the two computer screens with a yellow exclamation mark between them as oppossed to the globe

• Upvote 1

Guest El Padrino

At the time before you have to bounce your router due to loss of connectivity. Does you laptop actually have an IP address?

Does any other machine that you may have in your house have an IP address whilst the problem is occusing?

Can you ping external sites using IP or Hostname? Can you ping the gateway / router?

1) TRY CREATING A NEW NETWORK AND TYPING IN THE NETWORK KEY AND THE NETWORK NAME - ONCE YOU HAVE CREATED THAT SELECT "ALWAYS SIGN INTO THIS NETWORK" or "LOG IN AUTOMATICALLY"... wotever it is..

2) GO TO YOUR "MY COMPUTER" then to "PROPERTIES" then to "DEVICE MANAGER" and see what problems you see in there that has a yellow exclamation mark... right click on it and go to upgrade or fix etc...

3) DO A WINDOWS UPDATE AND SEE IF THERE IS ANY UPDATES WHICH NEED UPDATING...

4) YOUR CONNECTION PORT MAY BE A LITTLE UNSTABLE... YOU MAY NEED TO FORWARD INTERNET CONNECTION PORT NUMBERS TO YOUR ROUTER FOR IT TO CONNECT ALL THE TIME MAYBE...

• Downvote 3

upnp may be disabled

press F1 on your desktop

type upnp

follow the instructions to enable upnp

:blink:

upnp is to allow devices (already on a network) to discover each other and allows port forowording to be done via software rather then setting it up in the router.

Please allow chatting pup upnp would not cause this.

1) TRY CREATING A NEW NETWORK AND TYPING IN THE NETWORK KEY AND THE NETWORK NAME - ONCE YOU HAVE CREATED THAT SELECT "ALWAYS SIGN INTO THIS NETWORK" or "LOG IN AUTOMATICALLY"... wotever it is..

2) GO TO YOUR "MY COMPUTER" then to "PROPERTIES" then to "DEVICE MANAGER" and see what problems you see in there that has a yellow exclamation mark... right click on it and go to upgrade or fix etc...

3) DO A WINDOWS UPDATE AND SEE IF THERE IS ANY UPDATES WHICH NEED UPDATING...

4) YOUR CONNECTION PORT MAY BE A LITTLE UNSTABLE... YOU MAY NEED TO FORWARD INTERNET CONNECTION PORT NUMBERS TO YOUR ROUTER FOR IT TO CONNECT ALL THE TIME MAYBE...

wtf is this sh*t. :angry:

/

Joel what version of Windows are you using? Is the router the same one you used in your old house?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest El Padrino

wtf is this sh*t. :angry:

Wickedest sh*t is, I actually work with people who spew out sh*t like above :s

/

Anyways, if you don't know how to find out if your computer has an ip addres or not. Then lets not complicate things. But next time you have a problem try this.

Start -> Run -> Type in CMD and click OK. You will get the command prompt box. Like below

dos-command-prompt.gif

Then just type in ipconfig /release like so..

dhcp-release.jpg

Then once that's done just do a ipconfig /renew

dhcp-renew.jpg

If that sorts it then you can proceed through the avenue of getting updated drivers for your wireless card as a next step.

Oh yeah I've done that a few times before Swift and it's never solved the problem, so I'm guessing that means I do have an IP but it just can't connect to it?!

I'm using Windows Vista and nahh it's a different router, in Liverpool I've got a Belkin but this one looks like some cheap thing with Talk Talk internet

Guest El Padrino

Oh yeah I've done that a few times before Swift and it's never solved the problem, so I'm guessing that means I do have an IP but it just can't connect to it?!

Next time it happens launch command prompt and just do an ipconfig all if you don't see an ip, sub mask, gateway and dns then u deff have issues

Okay, so I tried the ipconfig /release and it returned "The requested operation required elevation." So I then tried ipconfig /renew and it says "Windows IP Configuration" for about a half a minute then comes up with "An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected"

This is all whilst my internet connection symbol is on the two screens with the yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it and when I hover over this symbol it says "unidentified" and then when I click on the "connect to a network" tab it says "Connected with limited access" next to my regular router.

When I do an ipconfig /all it brings up a long list of different configs and results but it gives me two IP addresses under different headings: "Link-Local IPv6 Address" and "Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address" and then it gives me a Subnet Mask but the Default Gateway is empty...

Guest El Padrino

Okay, so I tried the ipconfig /release and it returned "The requested operation required elevation." So I then tried ipconfig /renew and it says "Windows IP Configuration" for about a half a minute then comes up with "An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected"

This is all whilst my internet connection symbol is on the two screens with the yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it and when I hover over this symbol it says "unidentified" and then when I click on the "connect to a network" tab it says "Connected with limited access" next to my regular router.

When I do an ipconfig /all it brings up a long list of different configs and results but it gives me two IP addresses under different headings: "Link-Local IPv6 Address" and "Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address" and then it gives me a Subnet Mask but the Default Gateway is empty...

Oh I forgot (didn't know) you had Vista.

In that case before you run CMD. Do this instead.

Click on Start -> Search (on the start menu) type in cmd and wait for results.

Right click and choose Run As Administrator, then try what I suggest with the /release and /renew. Would explain why this command has never worked before for you.

A "fix" would be to just set the IP manually, as for some reason it's not communicating properly with the dhcp server on the router.

It's weird that no one else has the same issue though

But this would (maybe, many routers use the same ip's for gateways ect so it could work fine) mean when you go home you have to disable the manual config and set it to auto.

What router is it?

How do you connect to the router? Wireless or wired? Could you try and connect by wire if possible?

Do you get the same problem connecting both ways?

This would isolate the problem to either the wireless network card or the wired one in your laptop.

If the problem is with the wireless connection do you use any software to connect to the wireless network? (e.g Dell connection manager) Or is it just through windows?

If you use something like dell connection manager to connect to the wireless network, have you tried removing any saved profiles (e.g the one in your other home) and just starting fresh?

Thanks for the help people

The router is just a Thomson router.

I connect through wireless but I have tried an ethernet cable and that works fine, connects normally so I don't get the same problem.

My laptop is a Dell but I just use the regular windows way to connect but I still tried deleting all the saved profiles (including the current one) and it still didnt work unfortunately